Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 13 and I want to run away

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im sad I want to leave my house and I feel like im the biggest disappoint ment that ever happened with my family

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thanks for reaching out to us during this difficult time. It sounds like you want to leave home. Although we are not legal experts, technically it’s not against the law for you to run away from home. In most states it’s considered a ‘status offence’. If you do leave your house, anyone you would be caught staying with could possibly be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’. You also mentioned you were feeling sad. The National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255 is a good resource if you are feeling down. Please reach out to us at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

• Hi I am 13 and want to run away because of my life. My sisters are mean And dumb. But my baby sister who is 2 is the keeping me I am the one who always has to babysit her because other people won’t and I just wan to go away so bad. My mom has bad health and she gets mad at me because I want to be a normal teenager and hung with my friends but we moved because she used ALL THE MONEY so I can’t be were i want

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

It’s difficult when you feel unsupported in your own family and feel like you’re getting an unfair amount of responsibility. Moving can also be really tough when you’re taken from the friends you want to be with. We understand why you might want to run away.

Running away can be scary, and it might not be your only option. We can help you discuss others, and can even join a call with you and your mom if you’d like our help talking to her about how you’re feeling.

Give us a call 24/7 at 800-RUNAWAY so we can talk more or send us a chat anytime.

We look forward to talking with you!

Best of luck,
      NRS

• I'm 13 and I want to run away, just run away from everything. I want to run away because I feel like my family hates me and I know that impossible because I'm from a really loving family but, it's just how I feel. I used to be suicidal, it was so bad to the point where I was self harming. Sometimes I want to go back to self harming but I don't because I know I will get sent away. I can't take being left out of things. I'm not sure if my friends are even my friends anymore. I can only trust three people now, I can't even trust my mom anymore. I try my best to be the daughter, sister, friend they all want me to be but I just can't anymore. I've even started starving myself, but I was forced to eat last night. I don't know what to do with my life anymore. I feel like I have nothing to live for anymore. I mean I probably don't really have anything to live for anymore.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.

You mentioned feeling suicidal and self-harming, we recommend reaching out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and they can be reached at 1-800-273-8255 or https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Also, you mentioned starving your self which can be very scary, we want you to know that there is help and the National Eating Disorder Association is a great resource to reach out to at 1-800-931-2237 or https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org.

There’s a lot to think about when leaving home. Do you have anyone who would be willing to let you stay with them? How do you think your parents would react to you leaving? Running away can be a hard thing to do due to needing food to eat and a safe place to stay. Your parents could possible make a runaway report which means if you are found by police they will have to take you back home. We can help you locate safe places of you are needing emergency help.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail about brainstorming some option that can help you, please call or chat with us anytime.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS

• The aunts I’m living with are verbally abusive and I want to get away from home. They constantly make me feel worthless and they make me cry every night. They say I’m a mistake and that I’ll never succeed. What do I do?

Comment

• Reply: The aunts I’m living with are verbally abusive

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. Sounds like you have suffered from some verbal abuse from your aunts. This is most unfortunate. You have feelings that matter. You matter.
      You do not deserve to be abused by anyone. It is not your fault that they do this.

Sometimes it helps to have support from others like family member or friends and sometimes through counseling.
      You know your situation best. Let us know how we can be of assistance.
      If you would like to speak more about your situation, please contact us at: 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org (Live chat).

There are laws to protect you from being abused. It is however tough to prove verbal abuse.
      It might help to document the abuse through recordings and or witnesses. To file an abuse report you can go to a teacher or a counselor at school. You can also contact Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org. This is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Great job reaching out today.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I’m 15 and I don’t wanna live with my parents anymore they smoke weed and they got me addicted and now my mom threatened me to stop and now I’m going through withdrawals and she abuses me I have scars from when she used to beat me

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
          Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
          We hope to hear from you soon.
          Be safe,
          NRS

• im 11 and my moms abusive so i want to run away how can i do that shes always by my door and the front one i know where i can go when i lleave i just need to get out

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there, it looks like you just reached out via chat or phone. Thank you so much for reaching out using those platforms so we could have a conversation and best help. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.

Best of luck,

NRS

• I feel like running away. Its a very rare thing. Maebe 2 times a year or so.

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
          While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS

• I am 12 almost 13 and I am thinking about what would happen if I run away. My reason sounds a bit selfish because I know some people don't have this opportunity but I want to run away because I am tired of the people at home. My parents are getting divorced and fight a lot and that made me really mad so I started cutting and once I did that they found out and stopped fighting for a few days so they could talk to me and try to find out what's bothering me so I could stop... But I hate it, I don't want them to be involved with me or my life. I don't really have a place to run away, I would probably go to my grandma's house for a night then try and run off to my cousins in a different state so I'm thinking that a GPS will get me there, Walking will take a long time but I know that hitchhiking is very dangerous, so I am trying to save up some money to take a bus or uber or something. I don't even know if I am going to run away, all I know is that I don't want my family to be Involved with me.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation at home. We are sorry you are experiencing your parents during their divorce, no one ever deserves to be in the middle of that.
          We aren’t legal experts, but we have general knowledge about running away. In most states, running away isn’t illegal, but what is called a status offense. You can’t get arrested for it but it will mostly likely go on your record until you are 18. The police will only know if you have runaway if your parents/guardians file a police report. We can’t say for sure how the police will respond, but we hear a lot that police will take potential places you might be and will actively search for you. If they come across you, the most likely will return you home to your parents. Sometimes we hear that if you are staying with someone who knows you are a runaway and are not actively trying to return you or finding shelter for you, your guardians/or police can press charges against the people who are housing you, with something that is called harboring. One of our main goals is to make sure you are safe, so if you ever seriously decide to run away and need shelter, resources, or a safe place to go you can find safe locations at nationalsafeplace.org or reach out to us directly and we can find local resources in your area.
          We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.
          -NRS

• I am 13 and I wanna get away from my family, for all the years ive been with them my parents have always fough and they always yell and tell me about how im not good enough, my siblings hate me no matter what i do to try to make them proud, i only like my eldest brother. i just wanna run away with my bestfriends and try to go into a foster home or something try to get out of NJ and get away from the mess. I want a new family who would love me and care for me

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks so much for reaching out to NRS we can understand how much stress and anxiety you must be feeling. Our hope is to provide you with the resources and tools necessary to make the nest decision for you. From what we gather about your situation you while we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
          As far as finding a new home unfortunately they do not have centers that get you into new homes or new families. You would have to call Child Protective Services in order to see if they would take you out of your home. Then from there you would probably be put in a children’s home till they could find foster parents for you.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          Be safe,
          NRS

• I'm 13 and my family pretty much hates me. Im not sure who I am anymore and I don't know whether I was born or adopted. I do not want to live with my family anymore. Sometimes I consider disowned by them. I wish that i have a quick death instead of living with those people.
        Please help me.
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-11-2019, 03:00 AM.

Comment

• Reply: I'm 13 and my family....

Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. It is times like these that would be nice to have a listening ear. It is also important that you remember to exercise self- care. You did a good job reaching out to NRS. Good for you.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are not alone. We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe to yourself, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255

Take care,
          NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X