Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 13 and I want to run away

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am really thinking about leaving home, like tomorrow. My parents seem to no longer want me around, and I feel it would be best to get away from them. From living with my messed up family, I have been considering suicide for a while, and am one step from doing it. Any advice would be appretianted as I am not sure I want to run away, but it seems the only option at this point.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you feel as though your parents no longer want you around. You mentioned that you have been considering suicide for a while now. Your life matters !!! Although you are going through a rough time right now, you are not alone. Talking to someone that you trust could help, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) is a great resource. You stated that running away seems to be the only option. You could try asking your family if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. Another option that you have is if you feel unsafe at home, you could reach out to Child Protective Services or contact the police. They would do an investigation and if they find that your home is unsafe, you would be removed from the home. A final option is looking into emancipation laws for your state. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

• Hi I’m 13 and I want to run away I feel like my parents don’t care about me and I feel like I really should but I’m scared to run away because I don’t want to regret it and I feel like nobody notices I’m here

Comment

• Hi there,

thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We're sorry to hear that you feel that your parents don't care or notice you. We want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home.

We are not legal experts, but because you are under the age of 18, if you run away and your parents file a runaway report you could be returned home. It is not illegal to runaway but there could be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. It can be difficult to think about having a conversation with your parents for many reasons. Sometimes it can be helpful to have another adult around when you’re trying to talk to your parents so that they can stand up for you and try to keep the conversation calm and fair. That person could be a guidance counselor, other family member, or any other adult you trust. Here at NRS, we also offer a conference call service and can help you have that conversation with them. Our number is 1-800-786-2929. Don't hesitate to give us a call if that is something you would be interested in or you just want someone to listen.

NRS

We hope that this information is helpful to you! We’d love to hear what you think about your experience with the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). If you have a moment, please click the link below our signature line to fill out a quick survey. Best of luck!

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

• I'm 13 and I am living in a foreign country,I want to run away.

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: http://www.childhelplineinternationa...where-we-work/
          We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

No one deserves to be treated that way, please reach out to the resource listed above so you can get the help that you need.

-NRS

• I'm 13, and I think I have PTSD and my mom thinks I don't and it's hard to tell her what I'm thinking. I want to run away and forget everything but I'm scared. I don't want to hurt my mom or my family. I already have a place to go but it's out of state. I really don't know what to do. I'm scared.

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

It looks like we've recently communicated with you via our chat service. If you need any other assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to us again!

• I am 13 years old and a friend and I (who is serverely depressed) want to run away.

We want to go to the coast and follow it to the closest state (California) during the summer. I have no reason to run away other than I hate the town I’m in and I have depression. My family is supportive and loves me but my dad is very strict. All I want is to get away from them for a while but we don’t have a lot of money and I’d get in serious trouble with my parents. My friend on the other hand is 14 and hates his house and the town. I don’t know whether we should because both our parents would have the police out looking for us. I don’t want to tell my parents because they would never let me go out on my own.

Comment

• Reply: Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It’s not easy to cope with depression. It’s good that you are trying to sort things out. It sounds like a friend and yourself might be considering running away.
          Running away is a big step and there are some concerns to have other than your parents calling the police. Being able to survive must be a concern for you and your friend.
          Safety for the two of you is most important. Perhaps there might be some other options that you might consider that might help ease the situation. You sound like you are grateful for your parents support. It probably feels nice to have. On the other hand it sounds like that may not be the case with your friend.

We want you both to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

You did a very good job reaching out to NRS. Good for you.

Take care,
          NRS

Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It’s not easy to cope with depression. It’s good that you are trying to sort things out. It sounds like a friend and yourself might be considering running away.
          Running away is a big step and there are some concerns to have other than your parents calling the police. Being able to survive must be a concern for you and your friend.
          Safety for the two of you is most important. Perhaps there might be some other options that you might consider that might help ease the situation. You sound like you are grateful for your parents support. It probably feels nice to have. On the other hand it sounds like that may not be the case with your friend.

We want you both to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

You did a very good job reaching out to NRS. Good for you.

Take care,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
          Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

• m 14 and im thinking about running away to my friends house for a few days because my parents act like they hate me and they are to strict and all the things i have done at school in the last few weeks has gotten me in trouble if i get trouble one more time im going to jail but i think staying with her will chang me and let me have a little fredoom all i want from my parent is to let me do whatever i want to and let me learn from my mistakes.

Comment

• ccsmod10
              ccsmod10 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at 1800RUNAWAY. It sounds like your house has become a very stressful place for you. You took a good first step to formulate a plan and understand more about running away before leaving home.

We can offer some information about the legal ramifications of running away and give you some things to consider as you’re making a plan and forming your decision.
              It sounds like you have a safe place to stay after you leave home. That was very kind of your friend and her family to offer that. If you leave home as a minor, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is a status offense, not a criminal offense. If you are picked up by the police as a runaway, you will not be arrested but the police will be obligated to see you return home to your parents. If your friend’s parents know you have run away and take you in, the police may charge them with “harboring a runaway”.

It sounds like it’s been really hard for you to communicate with your parents lately. Would you consider talking to them if there’s another person there to moderate? National Runaway Safeline offers a conference call service that might give you and your parents a way to talk to each other and compromise on rules in the house without immediately fighting. Keep these things in mind as you continue to think about this. If you’d like to talk it through in more detail, National Runaway Safeline volunteers are available to talk or chat 24/7 at 1800RUNAWAY or at 1800RUNAWAY.org. Thank you again for reaching out to us and good luck!

Best, NRS

• I'm 13 and I'm gonna run away.. I don't fit in I don't belong anywhere "my dad" told me "stay away" so i will go away

Comment

• ccsmod11
              ccsmod11 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It takes a lot of courage to reach out to us and tell us about your current situation. It sounds like you are dealing with a difficult situation at home. We’re sorry that you are going through this and we want you to know that you don’t deserve to be treated that way. While we are not legal experts here at the NRS, parents/guardians are not allowed to tell/force youth to leave the home. If you ever feel as if you are in danger or in an unsafe situation, we encourage you to call 911 or seek assistance immediately through Child Protective Services.

You are not alone in this difficult situation. The NRS is always here to help and listen to you. If you would like to discuss any options or possible resources please call our hotline number 1-800-Runaway and we would be happy to help you through this situation. If you are unable to talk on the phone, NRS also offers an online chat feature which can be accessed on our website.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• I’m actually 14 and I hate my life about 2 years ago my mum and dad spilt up and it was shot bc we had a good family before that my dad told me that he hasn’t been happy for a while and I didn’t even relelise and soo dad the day after he told me and my two older brothers and he told all his stuff and got a rental house near where I lived the plan was to do 50 50 with my mum and dad soo week with dad and one week with mum and it work for a little while then my oldest brother decided he didn’t want to do that and soo he just stayed at mums all the time soo me and my middle brother did the 50 50 while still at school and it worked then my dad got a girlfriend like 3 mouths after the break up and moved in with her like 20 minuets away from my mum soo then my middle brother stoped coming to her house I just rently told my dad I didn’t want to live with him but my mum moved from my childhood home about About hour away and I hate it there I just started school and I have no friends and I hate it my mum is soo annoying and I hate her and living with her soo u really just don’t know what the next step is I have other friends like childhood friends but they live near my old house and I really want to runaway and just live closer to my friends but I have no idea wher I’m going to live nor do I know where I’m going to go to school or if I even want to go to school like I’m old enough to work but I don’t want to u want to finish at least grad 11and I’m in grad 9 ?? Please help

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help. We are very sorry to hear that your parents split up. It sounds like you aren't happy with the fact that your mom moved and you don't want live with your dad either. Having a plan about where you would go and how you would take care of yourself is important. At 14, you may be limited in the amount of jobs that are willing to hire you. Since you are a minor, if you decide to leave home your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Running away is not illegal, but if you decide to stay with a friend they could get charged with harboring a runaway. You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend that lives near your old neighborhood. If you have any other questions or just want to talk, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• i'm 13 turning 14 and i'm not sure if i want to run away my mom is terrifying and i don't really have any were to run to or anyone for that matter what can i do or should do?

Comment

• ccsmod16
              ccsmod16 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello, thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline today. We realize it can be a really scary thing to do; you have shown a lot of strength and bravery by posting today.
              We are not legal experts but can speak in general. Age 18 is generally the legal age when you can leave home without parental permission. If you leave before 18, your parents can file a runaway report, which just lets the police know you are gone. If the police find you, then typically return you back home.
              The only other ways to leave home before 18 is with permission or if home is not safe. We know you said your mom is terrifying. You must feel so scared and alone. We are here 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 and can talk through options to keep you safe and get you out of the home if it is not a safe place for you to be. You may also consider talking to adults in your life that you trust: teachers, school counselor, neighbor, aunt, uncle, grandparent, even a friend’s parent.
              If your mom would give you permission to stay with another family member or friend for awhile, that may also be an option. We offer conference calling if you would like help talking to your mom about any of these options.
              We are confidential and anonymous so you can call us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 or live chat on our website from 4:30-11:30 pm Central Time daily to talk about more options and get local resources without having to say your name and we never repeat anything you say.
              You have been really brave reaching out today and have shown a lot of strength in handling your tough home situation. You are not alone. Reach out again anytime!

• i wanna run away from home its to many things going on and i just cant bare to be around it anymore what should i do?

Comment

• ccsmod11
              ccsmod11 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out today. This all sounds like a lot to be dealing with, and we hope that we can help you out today. We understand how uncomfortable it can be to live in certain home environments. We don’t know exactly what you’re going through, but your feelings are valid. We are primarily concerned about safety planning for youth if they are planning to run away. You can call us at 1-800-786-2929, or email us at info@1800runaway.org for 24/7 support. We also run a chat service from 4:30-11:30pm. You may use these platforms to go over your plan with us, or to learn about other options you may have in your situation.

• My life is ********ed, I'm running away. too much for me to explain, I am "psychopathic". I really love my school and is the only thing that made me want to stay so long. I now have 4 weeks before I am being forced to move back to my mums. So my imaginary friends and I are going to leave. my life is completely stupid. I don't know why I am posting this, I have made up my mind. We are all going. I guess I wanted someone to know. My name Is Ella, in case the police need info or something. If you try to find me, you won't. And if you do... Please let me attend my school... and not go back to either of my parents, I care about nothing else.. just my school. I am emotionless, lonely, tired, angry and I will be if I really do leave, going to Sydney. Probably taking a train there. I'm leaving my laptop at home if I do... I won't let them track me. I'm not dumb. I'll make my way around, I won't accept money for sex. I know martial arts. I am street smart. I will leave a note hidden well in the house, so that people will know I left by myself and that I was not abducted. By the human dignity I have because im not a narcissist i will say to my father that i love him.

Comment

• ccsmod5
              ccsmod5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, Ella,
              Thanks for reaching out. It seems like you’re in a stressful situation and that there are things going on in your life that are out of your control. That must be incredibly frustrating for you and it sounds like you’ve made plans to leave home.It sounds like you’ve thought about your safety in leaving, but if you do leave, you might want to think about the following: who you’ll stay with, how you’ll get food, how you’ll get money, and if you have clothing appropriate for extreme weather.
              Based on your message, it sounds like you’re in Australia. Since we are US-based, we aren’t familiar with your local runaway laws. We do encourage you to reach out to your teachers or school counselor as well as your local police if you are experiencing a mental health emergency. We also encourage you to use this link to find a youth helpline in your area: http://www.childhelplineinternationa...where-we-work/ .

• I want to run away I don't know where to but I do because I get bullied everyday my family treats me like dirt and I have 0 friends I am the most in popular kid in school I could make money tho because I play guitar I am a youtuber and a gamer & I play soccer I teach myself all these things and I berly get fed at my house!Should I run away?

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are very sorry to hear about the way your family has been treating you. You don't deserve to be bullied or treated bad. You could visit the website (www.stopbullying.gov) for information on how to deal with being bullied. It sounds like you are very talented and independent. It seems like you want to runaway. If you decide to runaway, your family has the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Running away is not illegal but, if you decide to stay with a friend, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. You mentioned that you barely get fed at home. That could be considered neglect. You could contact Child Protective Services or Child Help (1-800-422-4453) to report the neglect. Another option that you have is asking your family if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. You may also want to look into emancipation laws for your state. We cannot tell you whether or not you should runaway , you have to do what you think is best for you. If you do decide to leave home, we could help you look for safe places to stay such as youth shelters or a transitional living program. If you have any other questions or just want to talk, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

• I'm 13 my parents abuse me terribly at home I can't take it any longer please help I really want to get sent to foster care

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X