leaving home at 17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaving home at 17

Okay so my momma jusy met this new man who tore my family apart my grandma and mom nolongerbspeak and my momma is totally distant from her whole family now this man is very verbally abusive to me when he gets mad and i just feel reallu depressed and un happy at home like i dont feel like i belong here i cry almost everyday and i think about doing crazy things at times if i ever told my mother that i was leaving to go stay with my grandma could she call the cops and try to get me to come back home or will i be allowed to stay at my grandma house in the state of texas when im 17

Re: leaving home at 17

Thanks for contacting us through our bulletin board and telling us a bit about your situation. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now and trying to get some support. You mentioned that your mom recently starting going out with a new man and it sounds like he has really started to tear your family apart. It sounds like he is also verbally abusive towards you and it is starting to affect you and make you depressed. We are sorry to hear you are going through. No one deserves to be hurt or abused in anyway. You mentioned that you have a grandma that you can go stay with but you are concerned about your mom contacting the police if you leave. What do you think your mom would say if you told her how you were feeling and that you wanted to live with your grandma?

17 is a tricky age. In most states the age of majority, when a youth is considered an adult and can leave home at anytime, is 18. But some states deal with this situation differently. In Texas it is usually dependent upon the county you are in on how they would deal with this situation. At times we have heard the police say that they may take a report at 17 but may not force the youth to return home. Usually the best way to figure out how they would deal with a situation in your area is to contact your local authorities on a nonemergency line and ask some questions. You do not have to talk with them about the situation if you do not feel comfortable but you could ask questions such as…

*In our area, at what age is a youth no longer considered a runaway?
    *If a 17 y/o leaves home without permission, do you still take a runaway report?
    *If yes: what happens if/when that youth is found? Would you make a 17 y/o youth return home?

It’s good that you have some support with your grandma. Keep in mind that we are here for you as well. Even if you just need to vent about the situation there is always someone here to listen. If you would like to discuss your situation more in depth you can always contact us at our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have an online chat that is available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. All of our services are completely confidential and anonymous so please feel free to reach out to us anytime. Take care and stay safe.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

reply to ur question

A part of me think she wouldnt care but another part of me thinks she would try and get me back and make this next year if my life hell!!

Comment

RE: reply to question

Hello again,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear that she would make your life more difficult, it can sometimes feel like you are in a tough situation with no other options. If you don’t have long to wait until you turn 18, that is one possibility. If you think talking to your mom would work, we have a large database here with plenty of resources. We would be happy to provide any family counseling for you both as well.

We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

- NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X