Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school

I'm 17, and in my senior year in high school. I was thinking about running away, but I didn't know if there was any way for me to finish high school in doing so...is there a way to do that, or do shelters have school programs? I don't want to throw away my future because of running away.

Re: school

Thank you for contacting NRS. We are sorry to hear that you want to run away. What is going on at home that is causing you to feel this way? If you run away, you can still go to school. You cannot be denied education. However you may run the risk of your parents finding you there and then they may be able to bring you back home.

If you give us a call at 1800-Runaway, we can discuss your situation further and we can also provide you with some legal referrals if necessary. We are here 24/7 and are completely confidential and we are also toll free.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

How would I go about doing that? Just running to wherever, and then signing up for a new school? Don't they need a parent signature, and everything? Could I use a fake name, or is that illegal?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for reaching to us again with your story and we hope that we can be of service to you in this time of need. It sounds like you are taking the time to really think things through and your approach to the situation is something that we honor because it is better to know the right answers before you make your move. Running away is not illegal so it is not like you are going to go to jail unless that is the policy for runaways in your state. Some states do implement policies that send runaways to juvenile hall for a while until things change for the youth. We believe in things changing for the better and we feel that it sometimes help to get proper answers for your questions from the right sources. We usually recommend that you call either your local police or local legal services to find out more about what your laws are there. We are here for you but we are not always able to help with legal questions because laws do vary and change from state to state over time. As stated before, you certainly do have a right to an education, which means that you are not allowed to be denied access to school and its resources. Therefore, if you do not have a real address, it still means that you can go to school. One option is for you to stay with friends or other relatives but if this is without the permission of your parents, you are risking others being charged with harboring a runaway. You can only stay at a shelter if you are given your parent's consent but even if you lived at one, you are still allowed to go to school. Once, you go to one, your parents can choose not to have you stay at one and if you go to school, they are likely to keep people informed to notify them of what you are up to.

We are not counselors but since we are a crisis line, we welcome your call to talk about some of these issues over the phone. You are right about needing parent's signature for things like this since you are a minor and they are legally responsible for you. What we are saying is that your parents cannot take you out of school and you have the right to go to school as a runaway. However, if you are listed with you local police as a runaway, schools are also held responsible to notify your parents. Unless, you become legally emancipated, they are still responsible for what you do. Emancipation do take some time and you have to prove in court to a judge that you are capable of taking care of yourself financially. If there is a way to pull of going to school as a runaway, that is something you can think seriously about but the chances of you parents finding out where you are increases greatly. We hope that you can provide us a city and state if you need legal services to call to find out more about laws there. We hope that you take this time to empower yourself and we look forward to talking to you. Out liners are qualified to help and we are confidential and never judge you. We are here 24 hours a day. Good luck.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

School

So there's obviously no place to live unless it's the streets. You need your parents permission to stay at shelter? Why? Isn't the point that you want to get away from them and not have them find you? If they know you're at a shelter, then what's the point? Shouldn't one just live in the streets? Not that it's safer but the whole thing about "protecting" runaways doesn't make sense to me. It just seems that their whereabouts are still somewhat known to the parents.
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 07-16-2015, 01:54 AM.

Comment

School

Hello,

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We appreciate your passion on this subject your point is well taken.
            There are of course different situations for each individual many facing the difficult decision about running away from home and having a plan for survival.

NRS tries to provide information and referrals to our individual callers so they might be equipped with the knowledge of services that might fit their needs. Our hope and mission remains to help keep runaway and homeless youth safe and off the streets.

We thank you for your comments and taking the time to post on our bulletin board.
            Take Care,
            NRS

Comment

I have been thinking about running away, things are very bad at my home and I've called the police and social services however nothing has changed. I have a friend who is 18 and about to move out of province. If I have my birth certificate, would I be able to sign up for a new school to where he is going? I still want to get my education so I will be well-off later in life, but I just can't live at my home anymore. Please reply.

Comment

• ccsmod6
                ccsmod6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us tonight. We are sorry to hear that things aren't going well at home. It's disappointing to hear that the police and social services have not done anything to help you out. It's great that you've got the support of your friend, and we would love to tell you some information about runaway laws before you make a set decision.

Normally when you leave home before the age of 18 you would be considered a runaway. Running away is not illegal but it is considered a status offense. What this means is that you won't be arrested for running away, but your parents or guardian could file a runaway report for you with the police and the police would be looking for you. If the police found you they would take you back home. It would not go on your permanent record and you would not get arrested. If you feel unsafe at home you could tell the police about it if that's something you feel comfortable doing, and they would get in contact with child protective services and investigate the situation.

When it comes to staying with your friend, there is such thing as your friend getting into trouble for what's called "harboring a runaway". The police would not go to your friend's house and arrest him on the spot, but your parents or guardians could press charges against him and take him to court if they wanted to.

Education is really important and it's great that you're concerned about it! It may be hard to enroll in a new school if there is an active runaway report against you. We are not experts on that though, so you may need to reach out to that school district and see what exactly they would do about that situation.

If you want to talk more about what you're going through please don't hesitate to reach out again. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 and someone will always be here to answer. We wish you the best of luck with everything!

Can I go to the health department if I’m a runaway in Oklahoma? Will they contact my parents? Or the police? I need to know ASAP

Comment

• ccsmod11
                ccsmod11 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this issue. We prioritize the safety and health of the youth who contact us, so we hope we can help you today. We're not legal experts, so we can't be sure, but if you've been filed as a runaway and the health department finds out, it seems very realistic that they may be by law obligated to contact the police to let them know you're on the premises.

Hopefully this helped. You can contact us at 1-800-786-2929 if you have more questions.
                -NRS
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
            x
            x
            Working...
            X