• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod5
    replied
    17; Louisana; I need to leave home

Hey,
    Thanks for reaching out to us. Sounds like you’re going through an intense time right now and you’re looking to find relief and some options so you can have some income and continue school. We’re try and help as best as we can.

You’ve asked a few questions and we’ll try and touch on most of them…

First, let’s cover the age of majority. The age of majority in most states is 18. That means that until someone is 18, they aren’t allowed to leave home without permission. If a person leaves home without permission from the guardian, the parent can then file a police report that the child is gone. Sometimes that can cause trouble for the youth and other times that can cause troubles for the people youth is staying with (family or not). In order to find out what the legal age of majority is in your area, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to call the non-emergency police number and ask “what is the legal age of majority?” or “at what age can a person leave home without being called a runaway?” That way, you’ll know what your next steps can be.

That might answer several questions: if you are filed as a runaway, it might be hard to live with other people, continue to go to school, get a job, etc. So, it’ll probably be good to see what the laws are in your area. Again, the best way to find that out is to call a local, non-emergency police number and ask them that question.

We hope some of that info helps. If not, and you’d be willing to call us, we can explore what options might be available to you. Please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and speak with someone about your situation. We’re anonymous, confidential and available 24/7. We are here to talk about whatever is going on.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic 17; Louisiana; I need to leave home

17; Louisiana; I need to leave home

I am constantly facing verbal abuse at home by my mother. I am not exactly sure if my father is aware of this or not but for the last 2 years or so, I have been contemplating in leaving home. At several points in the past year, my mother has clearly stated that she has rather that I leave home and to not come back along with other hurtful things. Is this enough consent for me to leave my home? With this said, I need to also state that I have no financial means of my own because I am not allowed to work. Is it illegal for me to stay with a family member or family friend because I am only 17? Does that mean I won't be able to attend my senior year of high school? Are there any programs in the state of Louisiana that reaches out to people such as myself who need to work and go to school? I cannot find myself to be a leave home without a plan yet I don't think I can endure another year of all this. It's been a very difficult 2 years and I've reached a breaking poin tAnd it would be great if I could just get a very straight forward answer.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X