No announcement yet.

Running away in AZ

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 17 years old and my parents have joint custody they have been to court before my mom was fighting to gain sole custody my father lookes really good on paper but he is a horrible person he makes my hate life and hate every single day my mom is a suitable gardain for me that will provide a safe enviorment for me to finish high school and move out on my own i just feel like i can take the constant drinking and yelling amymore my dad and his girlfriend constantly get into fights and scream through out the house and then pull me in to the arguement making me feel like a peice of trash can someone please help ive called the non emergency hot line for the police and i asked if they would persue a 17 year old runaway if they see that i am safe with my mom he recomened that we take this back to court but it hasnt worked in the past and emansipation is not an option for me because of the price and time it will take also my dad would never just willing let me go please help

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out to NRS.

It sounds like you are in a frustrating situation because your dad is trying to maintain custody of you. Acknowledging what you need and taking steps to find out more information was really responsible and resourceful of you. We are not legal experts by any means, but from what we know this situation would mostly be determined by your parents' custody agreement. You might still be considered a runaway by the police if you were to leave your dad's place without permission. Because of your age and the fact that you would be safe with a legal guardian, it is unlikely they would return you to your dad. Most likely if you were to go to your mom's, your dad could take her to court for violating a custody agreement if that was the case. However, we don't want to give any absolute answers because of the unique circumstances of your situation. Perhaps your mom could reach out to a lawyer to ask what would happen if you left on your own to live with her and if there would be any consequences for either of you.

We want to be a support for you during this challenging time and help you brainstorm your next steps. We can best be of help by phone (800-786-2929) or our online chat services. We look forward to hearing from you so that we can help.

Be safe,
      NRS

Is there any state help in Arizona for a 16 year old run away needs housing n financial assistance

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. The best way for us to connect you with resources in Arizona would be for you to either give us a call or chat with us online. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY or you can chat with us via the portal at www.1800runaway.org. We are here 24/7 and are totally confidential. We hope to hear from you soon.

All the best,
      NRS

Can I run away at age 12?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Hello, I'm only 10 years old living in AZ. I have had so many problems in my life that I can't even remember them! I am thinking about running away but...I don't think I would survive because Im so young and I know how to take care of my self but I have no idea how to buy food, find a place to sleep, and not get in trouble is it illegal to run away?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear you have faced a lot of problems at home and want to run away. You ask a really good question. We aren't legal experts but we can say that in most localities running away isn't a crime but it is a status offense like breaking curfew. This means you could be stopped by police and brought back home. Plus, your parents could file a runaway report, which would alert police that you are a runaway. At ten years old running away is extremely difficult and you would face a lot of difficulties such as where to live, how to provide for your needs, and the like.

Perhaps there are other options besides running away that may help your situation. Maybe that's asking your parents for permission to live with someone else, or maybe it's figuring out ways to cope with what you are going through. We'd like to discuss your options with you if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via our website: www.1800runaway.org. We are confidential and here 24/7 and look forward to hearing from you.

Stay safe!
      NRS

Hi, I am 12 years old and don't wanna be living in my home nor with my family. I feel very useless. My mom left me at age 6 and I met my dad I think a year later. I live with my grandparents and my sister. When my sister hears something that she doesn't like (like from me) she always goes straight to a level 100 in volume and anger. My sis and grandpa are practically always fighting and yelling at each other and I don't wanna be a part of that anymore. My sister is 10 years old and yet she seems to act older than me. I love reading and am pretty good at math. Can you guys maybe direct me to the closest one to me so that I am safe? Tucson, AZ. Please help me. Please. let me know if you can help me or not. Please reply to me soon. You might find me in an animal face mask. I have blue eyes, short dirty-blonde hair, a bit over 5 ft (i think), don't own a phone, own a tablet, wear glasses, and have a gap in my top teeth. My sister has brown hair and brown eyes so don't go looking for her. I am glad I found you guys .
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 04-01-2021, 09:25 PM. Reason: Removed Personal Identifying Information

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like the constant fighting is taking its toll on your mental health and is exhausting.
      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

i’n 15 in arizona and my parents have been harsh with me and my siblings. i have been thinking of running away since i was 13 and with all the stuff i’m dealing with now i can’t take it anymore. but i am also worried about school, i want to graduate highschool but i also want to run away. i am not sure how i can go to school while being a runaway.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

We appreciate you reaching out to us and sharing a little bit about what you are going through. It sounds like you've been dealing with a lot and want to figure out a way to run away and still attend school. Legally speaking, there is an act (the McKinney-Vento Act) that assures homeless youth access to education through at least high school. So even if you decide to run away you would have the legal right to an education.

That said, of course, running away is still a very big deal and quite a decision to have to face. You may want to think in very practical ways about where you would go, how you would remain safe, how your needs would be provided for, and how your family would react, to just name a few items of concern. If you leave home without permission your parents have the right to file a runaway report on you and anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor in most states. So there is a lot to think about.

Fortunately, you don't have to face this decision or figure out where to get help all on your own. We are happy to assist you in any way we can. The best way we can do that would be for you to call our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us via the chat button found at the top of our website: www.1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you soon so we can discuss what your best options are going forward.

Stay safe,
      NRS

Hi.
    For a while now, I have been thinking if I should run away, but I have always known that things would get better, so I never actually kept the thought in mind, however, whenever I tried to imagine what both my and my parents' worlds would be like then, I see my parents as a lot happier because they don't stress or fight over me. However, mine is a lot worse. I see myself as constantly having to try to run away or hide so that I will not get caught. Alongside that, I do not have any money, and if I were to stay with someone, it would have to be a friend, but my parents might sue them or file a case against them. I don't think my parents harass me, it's just that I feel like life would be so much better for them if I left. Today has been a really bad day. You see, I have really strict parents, and grades came out. I am usually an A student, but this time I got Bs and Cs, and in a couple of classes got Fs because the teacher's grading systems are extremely harsh. Alongside that, in my music class today, my teacher gave me many corrections, and my mom expects perfection, so she got mad and started yelling at me. On top of that, she knows that the thing I hate the most is when others suffer because of me, so she and my dad fight, she doesn't eat, or something like that. That makes me hurt more than if my parent even hit me. And then my mom said that she and my dad would have been so much happier if I were never born, and she is disappointed in me. She also threatened to take me out of music classes, take me out of school, or send me to boarding school. Also, I am forced to bottle up my feelings because every time I tell her how I feel, she either brings up how she feels, and then everyone forgets about me and my problems, and they comfort my mom. Or, she will tell me I am acting up because I am getting bad influence from my friends, and she'll tell me to stop being friends with them, but I can't stand it when she says something bad or mean about my friends, so I will yell at her, and everyone will treat me as if I am the bad guy. My friends are great. She only sees them as "bad influences" because they get average grades, they aren't child prodigies, and pretty much just that. She doesn't understand that my friends are actually the only people that make it so that i don't explode from all the stress, tension, and anxiety. I am a 14-year-old girl in Arizona, I don't think anyone will let me stay with them, and I don't have any food or money that I could take with me. If I were to run away from home, my parents would be even madder. Any advice?

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out! It sounds like a lot has been going on at home and with school, we’re glad you reached out and we hope to help as best we can. You sound like a very caring person, and this can be difficult to manage when others, especially parents, don’t seem to be happy with what you produce. If your struggling with classes there may be some underlying stress that isn’t allowing you to focus, there is no shame in asking for help. If there is any help offered for your classes, it may help relieve at least one form of stress you have on your plate.
      Your friends are people who help you feel supported and less isolated, you can share loads with them and relate about what may be going on in each other’s lives, that kind of relationship is so helpful when you are in times of need. They make all the difference when things get hard, although your mom may not see that its great that you have your friends!
      In regards to the way your parents seem to talk to you, the person who knows best what it looks and feels like is you. If you feel you may want to look into what does and does not constitute verbal/emotional abuse, you may want to check out Child Help. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made. Reaching out to ask questions does not mean you have to report anything, you can just ask questions and then decide not to act; that is completely okay.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X