No announcement yet.

Running away in AZ

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 17 years old and my parents have joint custody they have been to court before my mom was fighting to gain sole custody my father lookes really good on paper but he is a horrible person he makes my hate life and hate every single day my mom is a suitable gardain for me that will provide a safe enviorment for me to finish high school and move out on my own i just feel like i can take the constant drinking and yelling amymore my dad and his girlfriend constantly get into fights and scream through out the house and then pull me in to the arguement making me feel like a peice of trash can someone please help ive called the non emergency hot line for the police and i asked if they would persue a 17 year old runaway if they see that i am safe with my mom he recomened that we take this back to court but it hasnt worked in the past and emansipation is not an option for me because of the price and time it will take also my dad would never just willing let me go please help

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out to NRS.

It sounds like you are in a frustrating situation because your dad is trying to maintain custody of you. Acknowledging what you need and taking steps to find out more information was really responsible and resourceful of you. We are not legal experts by any means, but from what we know this situation would mostly be determined by your parents' custody agreement. You might still be considered a runaway by the police if you were to leave your dad's place without permission. Because of your age and the fact that you would be safe with a legal guardian, it is unlikely they would return you to your dad. Most likely if you were to go to your mom's, your dad could take her to court for violating a custody agreement if that was the case. However, we don't want to give any absolute answers because of the unique circumstances of your situation. Perhaps your mom could reach out to a lawyer to ask what would happen if you left on your own to live with her and if there would be any consequences for either of you.

We want to be a support for you during this challenging time and help you brainstorm your next steps. We can best be of help by phone (800-786-2929) or our online chat services. We look forward to hearing from you so that we can help.

Be safe,
      NRS

Is there any state help in Arizona for a 16 year old run away needs housing n financial assistance

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. The best way for us to connect you with resources in Arizona would be for you to either give us a call or chat with us online. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY or you can chat with us via the portal at www.1800runaway.org. We are here 24/7 and are totally confidential. We hope to hear from you soon.

All the best,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X