Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me!

So I'm 17 years old. Ill be 18 in February. I suffer from depression and anxiety. I take medication and see a counselor but its not helping. Here is some background info....my mom and dad had my brother and I. When I was nine they divorced an both immediately got involved in new relationships. My mother married my step father a year after being together and he had two daughters. So I am one of four children. I have a 20 year old step sister, 19 year old brother and an 8 Year old step sister. I am constantly looked at as the bad child. My mother takes everything out on me and puts me down constantly. I get told I was a mistake and get called names all the time. She tells me to get out all the time, but when I try she won't let me leave. There has been occasions where she has hit me. She gave me a bloody nose one time cause i was not in the mood to talk and made everybody take her side. This depressed me and I cut myself. She took me to the doctor but of course I couldn't tell them the real reason I harmed myself, so I lie to my counselor all the time. I don't want my mom in jail but I also can not take it anymore. If I don't get help soon i am afraid I am gonna go off the deep end and kill myself. I hate myself . I hate my life. Please just help me.

re: Please help me!

Hi and thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been living in a really tough situation and it is very brave of you to reach out and share your story. Your family situation sounds difficult- you must be so strong. It’s great that you have a counselor to go to but it seems like you aren’t comfortable sharing what’s really going on. Is there anyone in your life that you can turn to for support?

You shared with us that your mom has hit you and even given you a bloody nose. Have you ever told anyone about how she treats you? No one deserves to be unsafe in their own home and you can always consider abuse reporting as an option available to you. It’s understandable that you wouldn’t want to get your mom in trouble or for her to go to jail. If you have questions about what reporting would mean and what might happen, we are always here to talk with you about that process. It can sometimes be easier to make those tough decisions after you know more about what could end up happening.

One thing that you shared with us is that you have struggled with depression and have cut yourself in the past. There an organization called To Write Love on Her Arms (www.twloha.org) that offers support for youth who can relate to what you are going through. If you are feeling suicidal or like you want to hurt yourself, you can always call 911 or the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK. You are definitely not alone and we want to do what we can to support you. If you want to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are available 24/7 to help you find additional help. You can also chat with us live from 4:30-11:30pm CST at 1800runaway.org. Hope to hear from you,

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Thanks for the support. And as far as the physical abuse goes my dad, step dad, and older brother know. I do not know what I have done to deserve this. But I would like to look in to what happens during the process of reporting abuse.

Comment

re: Please help me!

We are so glad that you followed up with us. Nothing you do will ever justify someone physically hurting you. No matter what, no one has the right to harm you and you absolutely do not deserve it. Many adults in “helping fields,” such as teachers, doctors and counselors, are considered mandated reporters. That means if you tell them what is happening, they will actually be required by law to report it immediately. We are also mandated reporters at NRS, but because we are confidential and anonymous, you are able to talk through what is going on prior to sharing any identifying information that would necessitate a report.

If you do decide that you want to file an abuse report, you can either call your state’s abuse reporting hotline on your own, talk to an adult who can help you, or you can call us and we can file with you or on your behalf. When the call is made to the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), they generally ask a history of what has been happening, how long it’s been occurring and who else may be at risk of harm. You only have to share what you feel comfortable sharing, but the more that they know, the better they can help you.

Depending on various factors, DCFS may choose to do an investigation within the home. They may send a crisis worker or social worker to your home or they may do an investigation in other ways. If you feel unsafe staying at home during the investigation, that is something that can be discussed with DCFS as well and you may be allowed to stay somewhere else until an investigation is complete. If they do not have enough information to justify an investigation or other factors are lacking, they might keep an open file on your situation and be able to reference it again in the future if other reports are made.

If a case is opened and an investigation is completed, a couple things can happen. In severe cases of abuse, DCFS may choose to remove children from the home. Most of the time however, their ultimate goal is to make home a safer place to be. This could happen through family counseling, contracts and other support. That might seem overwhelming or like a lot of information at once, but we want you to be as prepared as possible to make your decision. Again, you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24/7 to discuss your options with you. Be safe,

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X