No announcement yet.

17 year old, nowhere to go. Help?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 17 and my my mom is letting my brother verbally and physically abuse me and I need to get out before he kills me or I kill me and my mom wont do anything to help

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, and sharing some of your story with us. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. You do not deserve to be abused and we are sorry you are going through that. One option to consider would be to file an abuse report. You can file an abuse report by calling The Child Helpline at: 1800-422-4453. Another option to consider is talking with your school counselor about what is going on at home, because they are mandated reporters they would be required to make a report.
      You mentioned being killed or you killing yourself, we want you to know that your life is valuable and that you are worth living. If you feel like you are in immediate danger please call 911 as soon as possible. If you are ever feeling suicidal you can call The Suicide Prevention Line at: 1800-273-8255. You do not have to face this alone there is help out there.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. Best of luck!
      NRS

Hi. I'm 17 and I really need to leave. I'm almost 18 and due to the argument we had today, she's really considering just tossing me out. She constantly disrespects me as a human being and physically hurts me whenever she gets the chance. There have been many times when my brother would step in and hold her back, but this time she's gone nuts. there is so much more than this, but I'm not looking for therapy, I searching for help. I can't find a job, even though I've applied to 50 different places, but I'm highly restricted on where I go because I still can't drive.
    With all that, I wouldn't be surprised if I came home one day to see my stuff on the street. I don't doubt my own mother would leave me homeless whenever she got the chance to. I'm sick and tired of this continuous cycle. It hurts me emotionally AND physically. Please help me... I don't know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting NRS we appreciate that you have reached out to us. We are sorry you are going through such a difficult situation. You do not deserve to be put through that. From what we can tell you are looking to get out of the situation you are in. Just so you are aware legally you can leave at 18 otherwise your parents have the right to file a runaway report and call the Police. They would be on the lookout for you. Anyone that houses you runs the risk of being charged with harboring a minor. It would be a good idea to call the police non emergency number to ask what they would do if you did The options available to you are you could give us a call and we would be happy to report the abuse to CPS alongside you. That way it doesn’t seem so scary. Another thing you can do is to call Child Help which is another organization that specializes in reporting and helping abused youth. Their number is (800) 422-4453 and you can feel free to call them and get the help you need. We know how hard it can be to reach out for help, so again thank you for contacting us! If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chatting with us at 1800runaway.org. We are here to support and help you create a safe plan. We wish you the best of luck!

Please Help

Hi I'm a 17 year old yesterday my mother and I got into a fight and she hit me badly(no marks left on my body) and it is the 2nd time I dont have my phone she took everything away I only have access to my online school laptop I need help getting out of here I am technacly a prisoner I turn 18 on november 25th I am not allowed to work or anything and I feel like that is unfair how I am being treated I just want to leave she threatened my girlfriend as well that if she came by my house she would get arrested.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there!

Thanks so much for reaching out, this comment is meant to address both of your posts. It sounds like you may be feeling unsafe and isolated in your current environment. In situations like these, we understand that it can be really difficult reaching out and we know it takes a lot of courage.

It sounds like what you are going through may be considered abuse. You do not deserve to be hit and have your hair pulled by anyone, especially a parent. It is possible to call your local child protective services and report what has been going on in your home. We also get that this may be a really difficult decision, but if it is something you are interested in, we could help you make that call or support you through the entire process by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chatting with us through our website (https://www.1800runaway.org/). If a report is taken, your local child protective branch can decide to investigate. If the investigation doesn’t lead to a removal, they may be able to provide some local resources to you and your mom. This could be an option, but if it’s something you are uncomfortable with or don’t want to do, we understand.

You expressed that you want to leave home, and this definitely could be an option for you. We aren’t legal experts, but we also want to help you make an informed decision that you think is best for you. Since you are 17, your mom could file a runaway report after you leave. It’s not illegal for you to leave, but the police could potentially find you and return you home. But, police stations and officers generally handle these situations up to their discretion. If you call or chat with us, we would be happy to help reach out or reach out to your local police station with you or on your behalf.

After processing this information and you still feel like you need to leave, we would definitely love to help you develop a safe plan and maybe even help get you in contact with a youth shelter if you need a safe place to go. We want to support you in any way you feel you need. If you feel like you need to talk and develop a realistic plan with no judgment you can call or chat with us at any time, we are open 24/7.

Again, thank you so much for reaching out to us. We hope this information helped as you decide what is best for you.

Best of luck,
      NRS

17 year old, nowhere to go. Help?

My name is Marc. I need help to get out of my house I cant live here anymore my mom has threatened to call the police on me because I put my hand on hers to block her from hitting me in the face she has done it before and insulted me and hit me I want to find a place where I will not be in danger by either police or anyone I live in detroit michigan and I just want to start my life but she has taken away all of my stuff my phone my laptop I am using my online school laptop and I just cant take it anymore last night she kicked me in my stomach area I wasn't able to eat and she pulled my hair and punched me(I am a guy) and I feel like my life is in danger but if I go to the police I will go to jail due to stuff I did in my past regarding sexual contact with my ex gf we are both 17 and I had pictures of her and she has pictures of me yes I know its a stupid thing to do but I truly need help idc if it means moving to a different state I just need to leave this house.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there!

Thanks so much for reaching out, this comment is meant to address both of your posts. It sounds like you may be feeling unsafe and isolated in your current environment. In situations like these, we understand that it can be really difficult reaching out and we know it takes a lot of courage.

It sounds like what you are going through may be considered abuse. You do not deserve to be hit and have your hair pulled by anyone, especially a parent. It is possible to call your local child protective services and report what has been going on in your home. We also get that this may be a really difficult decision, but if it is something you are interested in, we could help you make that call or support you through the entire process by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chatting with us through our website (https://www.1800runaway.org/). If a report is taken, your local child protective branch can decide to investigate. If the investigation doesn’t lead to a removal, they may be able to provide some local resources to you and your mom. This could be an option, but if it’s something you are uncomfortable with or don’t want to do, we understand.

You expressed that you want to leave home, and this definitely could be an option for you. We aren’t legal experts, but we also want to help you make an informed decision that you think is best for you. Since you are 17, your mom could file a runaway report after you leave. It’s not illegal for you to leave, but the police could potentially find you and return you home. But, police stations and officers generally handle these situations up to their discretion. If you call or chat with us, we would be happy to help reach out or reach out to your local police station with you or on your behalf.

After processing this information and you still feel like you need to leave, we would definitely love to help you develop a safe plan and maybe even help get you in contact with a youth shelter if you need a safe place to go. We want to support you in any way you feel you need. If you feel like you need to talk and develop a realistic plan with no judgment you can call or chat with us at any time, we are open 24/7.

Again, thank you so much for reaching out to us. We hope this information helped as you decide what is best for you.

Best of luck,
      NRS

I am 17 years old and my current foster home is leaving to California and I dont know where im going to go DHS doesnt know where to place me either do you know a place I can go like a place for just me? I need help

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. We are sorry to hear things are so unstable with your current foster home and alternative placement has not been found yet. You deserve to live somewhere that makes you feel safe and supported.

An additional option to a new foster family or group home placement, could be a transitional living program. TLPs are long-term and stable living accommodations and they provide services to help young people develop skills necessary to move to independence and life as healthy, productive adults. We are happy to do a search for TLPs in your area if you call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org. Your caseworker with DHS would still have to approve this as the plan. We can even facilitate a conference call with you and your caseworker to advocate for your needs.

We want to be a support for you during this challenging situation and connect you with any resources that might be able to help. You can call or chat with us 24/7.

We wish you the best,
      NRS

My mom is kicking me out I need a place to go to I don’t have no where to go no money I need help

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds like you are being kicked out by your mom without a place to go and with no money. This must feel very scary and stressful. We are sorry you are going through this and we are here to help you. The best way is if you either call in to our hotline or use our live chat so that we can look for shelter in your area and/or help you figure out a plan that works for you.

We are here for you and you can reach us 24/7 on our hotline at 1800-786-2929 (1800-runaway) or via live chat through www.1800runaway.org
      We truly hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
      NRS

I'm 17 and my parents are kicking me out. I have no job and no money and no family to live with. Please help.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out.

Sounds like you are in a really unfair situation being kicked out at 17 with nowhere to go. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

Since you are still a minor, you do have the right to call police or child protective services (CPS) on your parents if they kick you out with nowhere to go. Legally, they are responsible for finding housing for you until you are 18 so you could have options of going to authorities. Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you would like an advocate on the line while reaching out to either police or CPS.

We can also look to see where the nearest youth shelter is to you if you call or chat us: www.1800runaway.org. Again if you call, we can call out to the shelter with you on the line. The National Safe Place texting service might also help you find the nearest shelter or safe place to you. Text the word “safe” and your current location (city/state/zip) to 69866. If there are safe places and shelters nearby, a list of those will be sent to your phone and you may have the option to text back and forth with a trained counselor as well.

We hope this information is helpful, please do not hesitate to call or chat us for additional help.

Best,

NRS

I have nowhere to go im homeless and im tierd of being in housebto house and pillow to pillow

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there -

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can.

It sounds like you might some specific questions about housing or homeless resources that you can reach out to. Or maybe find a place to vent about what you are feeling right now. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us. We don’t ask for any identifying information, unless you want to report any abuse. You can chat with us by going to our webisite (www.1800runaway.org) and clicking on "chat" and we can look in our database for any possible resources that can help you in your situation.

We certainly want to help you.

I'm 17 and planning to move out of my family's home once I turn 18 in four months. I have a friend I could stay with but I really don't want to live off anyone but I don't know what to do. I don't have a job right now, I'm trying to find one, but it's not easy seeing that I am 17. I live in Florida, are there any programs that could help me?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share a bit about your situation with us here at National Runaway Safeline. Leaving can be a big decision to make, but planning out your steps is a great start.

Finding a job is definitely essential to living on your own. If you plan on moving out as soon as you turn 18, living with a friend temporarily could be a huge help while you get on your feet. Depending on your area, there could be a few different resources that may help. The first is a youth shelter. Youth shelters are generally short term emergency housing that can offer some support in finding a job and making a long term plan. Often shelters are connected to transitional living programs. Once you are working and beginning to save up, these longer term programs can provide additional support while you transition to living independently. If you contact us directly we can search in our databases for the resources available nearby.

Another option that you may be interested in is called JobCorps, https://www.jobcorps.gov/ . This is a residential program that offers vocational training and support getting onto a career path.

Our email and Bulletin services are different in that we can only respond twice. If you would like to talk more in detail about your situation and receive immediate help, we encourage you to reach out to us through our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org (click on the CHAT button on our website homepage).

We look forward to hearing from you soon so that we can help and provide resources,
      NRS

Im going through a lot my mom is kicking me out and she serious im only 17 i got nothing tbh i dont want to stay with her. Injust meed a way to start off so i can live on my own i been looking for jobs but no luck cause i never had a government job and my age since im still a minor i really need help desperately.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and for sharing about your situation. We are sorry to hear all of this happening. You deserve to feel safe and cared for where you are living. It is not okay for your mom to kick you out, especially since you are still a minor.

If you are able to contact us directly we can search for youth agencies and resources in your area. A youth shelter can provide a safe place to stay and some help with continuing school and getting a job. Often youth shelters are connected with transitional living programs. These are long term programs that provide support and help with learning important life skills in order for you to become independent. The goal of these programs is to provide you a stable place to live until you are ready to move into your own apartment and live independently.

If you would like to know more about shelter programs or talk about other options, please contact us at 1-800-786-2929 or through our live chat at 1800runaway.org. We are here 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible.

We look forward to hearing from you soon,
      NRS

hey im 17. Ive been running away alot because my parents are literally the worst and i hate them so much. they never protected me from mean people and in middle school people would beat me up and sexually assault me and when i told them they would ask what i did to make them angry and then they would yell at me about my grades and call me names but i had bad grades because i would hide from people because they would try and beat me up and hurt me so i tried to od and stuff and my parents didnt believe in depression and wanted to keep there appearance and made me feel insignificant. this year i finally realized my worth and got so much self confidence and i told myself i would never let anybody make me feel like that so i would stick up for myself and started dressing the way i wanted (sweatpants and tshirts) and they got pissed and kept me locked in the house all the time and put cameras facing into my room and took my door off but i never did anything bad except for vape which i have been doing since middle school (helped with anxiety) and they forced me to eat more and i started gaining so much weight and they would throw food at me if i didnt eat all the food they gave me and i jus wanted to eat salads and fruit and i wanted to exercise and they wouldnt let me. i have tried everything... dcf and police and residential 35 day programs and job corps isnt accepting anyone anytime soon. im currently home but my parents gave my room to my sister and im sleeping in my sisters play room on a couch/bed. and my belongings are in boxes and they gave away my bed. im stuck. and i feel so unwanted and like there is no hope.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there,
      Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. Wow it sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now, and we want you to know that you are not alone.
      No one should make you feel insignificant and we are sorry your parents have made you feel that way. What they are doing is not your fault and is based on their own insecurities. It seems like you are going through abuse and neglect and it seems you have used a lot of resources already. One option to consider is to see if you would be able to stay with any other friends or family members. Also if you would like to chat with us or give us a call we can help you look for a shelter. Also if you wanted to try and make another report you can contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you!
      NRS

Hi, i am 17 at the moment but i will be 18 in a few days. my mom has kicked me and my boyfriend out of the house we are living in now and we have been searching for houses for rent but can’t seem to find any in Tennessee. We are currently in Millington but would much rather be in Munford or Brighton. I have dealt with her kicking me out before but she called the cops on me as a runaway but I had just turned 17. Is there any way you could help get me a place to stay, I have a good job just no car.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline, that seems like a complicated situation and we are happy you reached out for help. It’s tough to be kicked out like this and be out on your own right before you turn 18.
      We do have housing resources but they are by referral so for them you would need to call into our hotline or use our online chat for us to be able to give you them. If you would prefer not to the https://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/ is a good starting place, or https://www.hud.gov/ for shelter, and rental assistance.
      Hopefully that is a good starting point for you, if you want more resources, or just need someone to vent to about the situation we are happy to listen. You can call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929, or chat online with us at 1800runaway.org

Hi I am 17 and living in north carolina there are some complications going on in my home and I need help finding a place to go

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. Sounds like you’ve got a plan to leave, but you are not sure where to go. Hopefully we can help you find a place to reach out for some help.

Only you know yourself when it’s time to leave home due to it being an unsafe situation. We do have a large database that we can help see if their is anything in your area that you can reach out for more local help. We encourage you to reach out to us here on or 24-hour hotline or even via chat to explore that option.

Best of luck and hope to hear from you soon!
      Last edited by ccsmod8; 08-27-2020, 03:38 PM.

hi my name is teyja, i just turned 17 in july and mymother dropped me offin myhometown virginia with my grandmother. recently my grndmother and i have been bumping heads alot since i came and a couple of weeks back she snapped and got physical and got charged. today was her court date and she was so upset that she cancel custody and said she no longer wanted me at her house. for months she's been threatining me about it and telling other famil members about me and i am just ready to go. but my mother dont want me and my grandma wont let me get in contact with my biological dad. am a senior and am reallytrying to finish school, but i can only handle so much and am stressed out and i definetly dont want to be in a place where am not wanted. so can you please just help me to get through this year so i can get in the military and move on with my . i need somewhere to go and a job just until this year is over with,please

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on with your mom and grandma. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

I am currently 18 I suffer from social anxiety, I am currently working in a fast food restaurant , but it is so complicated for me because of my social anxiety . I don’t like talking to people because I am scared and my parents are always putting pressure on me to get another job due to I get pay minimum wage . I always apply for other jobs but I get rejected or never get called back ): . Their is jobs as waitresses but like I said I don’t like talking to people . I don’t know what to do , my mom said that she’s tired of me , but I’m tired of myself I don’t know what else to do .

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey,
      We are happy you reached out to us, but sorry to hear about the struggles you are experiencing at home. While we are happy to communicate by whatever means is easiest for you we do encourage you to reach out to us via our online chat (www.1800runaway.org) or call our toll free, 24/7 hotline (1-800-RUNAWAY or 1-800-786-2929). If you contact you through one of these methods we can talk more candidly about what is going on and discuss options in more detail.
      It sounds like you parents have very high expectations of you. It can very difficult juggling the expectations others have of us and our need to selfcare and respect as we get older and seek more independence. These difficulties can only compounded factors both internal, like your social anxiety, and external, including school and social obligations. You deserve support and positive encouragement, as you make your way further into adulthood.
      I don’t want to gloss over your final comment about being tired of yourself. We hope you remain safe and encouraged you to reach out personally if you find yourself in dire circumstances. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) is a 24-hour, toll-free, confidential hotline with skilled liners and resources to help.
      You also mentioned the reason you do not wish to take a job as a waitress is due to your social anxiety. Anxiety is a very real and debilitating condition that can affect social interactions. Have you ever talked to a school counselor or licensed professional about ways to cope? Or talking to you parents about your reservations with certain types of work and the anxiety you struggle with?
      I know the latter may sound terrifying, but we are here to help and do offer conference call services to help facilitate meaningful and productive conversations between young adults and the families. You can always call in to discuss how all of the works.
      We would love to discuss in more detail some of the options we have offered above, if you feel they may be helpful. We want you to make sure you feel supported and are available to talk 24/7 either by chat or by phone. We are here to listen. Here to help.
      Best,
      National Runaway Safeline
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X