X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod9
    commented on Guest's reply
    . We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody. It also sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 17 years old i am a female and I love in Indiana in still in high school but I'm homeschooled online i love with my mom and 2 older brothers i hate everyone in my family my dad left us when I was like 11-12 anyways my mom is verbally and physically abusive she doesn't beat me as much not as she did Like 2 years ago now she just insults me tells me I'm fat and ugly that I'm stupid and never going to graduate high school and my brothers well they're both older then me I'm the youngest so brother number 1 he just started college so he s not home very much but when he was like he's treated me like ******** my whole 17 years of living so has brother number 2 he s a loser and has no job or anything so he's always starting problems with me verbally abusiving be behind my back and inform of my face and with my mother a lot of the time so basically i know it sounds bad but I hate all of them i don't care if the word hate is a bad word especially when towards your family but finding care your not in my shoes you weren't physically and verbally abused your whole life and I have no friends since I'm not in school anymore and I have no family my mom and he brothers sisters and dad don t get along therefore we don't talk donuts not like I have an aunt or an uncle to back me up they're strangers to me I don't even know them I have no one at least other people ya know have a nice aunt to go live with or cousin me I am completely alone i don't leave my room not ever not anymore especially recently out of a 24 hour day I leave my bed room maybe 4 times but I have to sneak out of it so I don't have to see my mom or my brothers faces ...I hate my life I really do I'm suicidal all the time I don't have a job never had one so no job experience and I'm not finished with hight school i want to drop out because my mom is right I'm to stupid to finish I'm not smart I'm really not I'm probably going to be nothing I am nothing theirs nothing unique about me I don't know what to do I keep trying to fight but I'm tired ok I'm so tired you don't even know and I know your probably going to respond saying something nice like thanks for reaching out but like idk i don't need a thank you I need help i need a place to live at i need some sort of adult figure i can talk to who actually is gonna be there for me if I want to run away but knowing my luck I'm going to have no one no one's gonna help me I'm a stranger ,thanks for reading i guess...bye

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out. It’s great that you’re so empathetic to the issues that your daughter’s boyfriend is facing. Harboring a runaway is a misdemeanor but the penalties and likelihood that you will be charged can vary greatly depending on location and circumstance. It was a really smart idea to reach out to the chief of police for advice, you can also try contacting your local nonemergency police line (normally you can reach them, by dialing 311). You also stated that the boyfriend’s mother refuses to let him back home. Refusing to provide for her son can be considered neglect and you (or anyone) can file an abuse report with CPS. If you’d like to find your nearest CPS office you can do so by going to childhelp.org. Additionally, you can always suggest that he contact us directly so we can go further in depth about his situation and look at resources that might be available to him. We can be reached 24/7 by chatting us online or by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here to listen and support as best we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I have noticed that you mention on here that people can get in trouble for taking in a teenager with no place to go. I have a 17 year old teenager that is supposed to be coming tonight or tomorrow AM (its already 2AM) as he has no where to go. We also just had that polar vortex cold snap we are coming out of. He is my daughter's boyfriend which complicates things. He and my daughter up and moved out with some other "kids" - they are technically adults but they all went to school together (I think) and aren't that old. College age, I guess (but none are in college). His mother is absolutely awful, not enough room here to describe it but she goes from trying to be nice to him to treating him like dirt - and that is an understatement. Anyway, he got kicked out of the place he moved out to... which I saw coming as none of the kids had jobs and I truly think they thought that my daughter and her boyfriend were going to support them. Anyway, they were only there about a week, during which his mom has since told him that he is dead to her, to lose her number or block it or something... all sorts of stuff and they had no where to go. He turns 18 in about 2 months. I really can't take in another child easily, but his mom is awful and so I figure we can figure something out for 2 months... however, I am a little concerned that if the mom gets a bug up her butt that she will cause real issues. He does have a dad there too but his dad follows his mom on a lot of things and is disabled anyway. We live in a small town and I don't think the police would take the mom's side if they could possibly avoid it, but I don't know. We know the Chief of Police and my husband supposedly sent him a text tonight asking if we are ok to do so but haven't received an answer yet. I was looking for info on abandonment so the kid could start his life since he is so close to 18, but when I saw on here that you can get in trouble for taking in a minor I am getting nervous since he is to be coming within several hours. And his mom is one of those that maybe would cause a raucous, but then again she doesn't know where he is either so??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and having the strength to share your story with us. We are sorry to hear about your situation and about how your mother has been treating you. Ideally, home would be a place where people feel safe, loved, and valued, and you do not deserve to be treated that way. You’ve been very courageous to reach out for help and try your best despite the circumstances.

You mentioned that your mother has kicked you out without an alternative safe place to live. As a parent, it is her job to provide you with a safe place to live while you are a minor. We understand that emotional trauma is difficult to work through and that reporting her for neglect may not be an option you are comfortable with. However, you do deserve to live in a safe place, and if you wanted to talk more about child abuse reporting or wanted support, Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) could be a resource for learning what reporting would look like. They are accessible by phone at 1-800-422-4453 and online at childhelp.org. School personnel, like counselors and teachers you trust could also be a resources for support.

In terms of finding a safe place, we would encourage you to reach out friends and family if you haven’t already. Some things to consider would be guardianship, school enrollment, how you would take care of your needs (eating, sleeping, healthcare), and how you would care for your safety if something were to happen. If you were interested, we also offer conference-calling as an option, where we would mediate a constructive conversation between your parents and yourself in order to reach an understanding. An issue with shelters is that many may only allow a minor to stay with guardian permission, with a grace period in some cases. If you ever felt like your safety was threatened, the National Safe Place Network is accessible online at nationalsafeplace.org and by phone by texting 69866 (SAFE and location).

We would love to talk more about the details of your situation so that we can work towards a solution that you find acceptable. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
    We hope this information was helpful and take care.
    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Guest replied
    I’m 7 years old my mom just kicked me out and I have no where to go she wants me to stay but I am tired of always getting threatened to get kicked out so I just wanna leave what can I do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there, thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. From what you shared, it sounds like you’re in a really difficult situation and we are here to help you as best we can. It is very brave to share what has been going on and we truly do care about you. It seems like you are dealing with a lot and reaching out is a good step. We are going to bring up a few things and please don’t hesitate to reach out again as we are here 24/7 over our phone lines (1-800-RUNAWAY) and we also have an online chat system at 1800runaway.org.
    We are very sorry to hear the situation with your mom and sister. You are very strong for coping with your health complications on your own and getting the help you need and you do not deserve to be treated that way by your mom. It sounds like home with your dad now is not a good option and you have the right to reach back out to the case worker/police/Child Protective Services agency to let them know your dad’s home is not safe. Their priority is your safety and you mentioned you are being harassed and called names which is not okay. The case worker may work to find a better option for you to home you or try to reach out to your mom to talk about compromising and options to reconcile if that is something you want to pursue. Otherwise, they may look for options outside of the people you listed for them. These are just a few things that may happen and we are not experts but Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great place to call to get more specific information about what that next step might look like. They are the national child abuse hotline and can help talk about the process and next steps that may help.
    We are always here for you and it sounds like you are very mature and trying your best in a very difficult situation. If you are in a dangerous situation and need immediate assistance, don’t hesitate to call 911 or your health provider to get that help. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us over the phone or chat. We can talk further about what we mentioned or brainstorm other ideas. We really hope to hear from you soon.

Best, NRS

Guest replied
    Hello. I am in the worst predicament in my life that I have ever been in. And might I add, I have truly been through what some might call hell... I used to live with my mother and sister at my mother’s apartment until I started to have terrible health complications. My health issues have been ongoing for some months. My mom continued to cancel my doctors appointments and proceeded to neglect me. My health complications grew to be so severe that I had to get a ride to my local clinic just to explain my situation to one of the residing psychiatrists at the clinic. He had made a mandated report & requested that I move my belongings into my friend’s house. I was able to stay there for a week until I had to move my belongings out and back into my mother’s apartment. My mother and my sister was staying with my grandparents at their house. I had asked them why, but they wouldn’t tell me the reason. I had stayed at my house alone for five days. On the fifth day I was in so much pain that I had called the ambulance and they had taken me to the hospital. Throughout the course of being at the hospital a DCFS caseworker had showed up & told me that when I get released I will be going to the police station to speak with another caseworker. When I had gotten to the police station I had met my mother in a conference room along with the caseworker & a police officer. My mother had told the caseworker that she locked me out of the house and does not want me to stay there. I barely have any other family members whatsoever. So I was utterly saddened. The caseworker had asked me if I had anybody to stay with that I could think of. I made a very short list (with every possibility) and none of them answered. My dad, who hasn’t been in my life since I was two, had answered and said that I could stay with him for a week. It has been pure hell here... I have constantly been harassed & called names since I have been residing here. I am worried about my physical well being and my health issues are worsening. I have nowhere to leave from here, but the streets. I am in fear... Genuinely. Please help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We can understand life is not easy and often times can be tough. We want you to know that we are here to help and listen as best as we can.
    From all the information you mentioned some options that are available to you are that you can call us at our call line (1-800-786-2929) or online on our chat option. From there we can give you more resources about where to find shelters, food pantries, transitional housing programs, etc. From there we can help give you information in specific as to your area and where to go. Another resource you can use is the National Shelter Directory (homelessshelterdirectory.org) and from there see any options around your area.
    We want to thank you again for contacting us and seeking help. We know how difficult life can be sometimes. Again you can contact us at (1-800-786-2929) or online at www.1800runaway.org on our chat option. We hope that you can find a suitable living place while you get back on your feet.
    Best Wishes-NRS

Guest replied
    MY father died when I was younger, and my mother has lost her life to addiction. My aunt was always physically and verbally abusive so i left, I’m working now but I have no place to stay I’m only 17. What can I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a stressful situation and we’re so sorry to hear about how your dad has been treating you. Since you are a minor, your father is legally obligated to care for you and house you until you are an adult. If he is threatening to kick you out, that may count as neglect (though we are not legal experts). You might consider calling your local police and letting them know what’s going on before your dad has the opportunity to act like you ran away. Another resource that could be helpful is the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453.
    You might also consider staying somewhere else, like with a friend or another family member. Another option to consider is a transitional living program, or TLPs for short. TLPs are programs that can provide longer term housing (up to 18 months) and are designed to help young adults get on their feet. Keep in mind that you would need parental consent to enter one of those programs.
    Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful. If you have additional questions or want to talk more specifically about your situation, please feel free to reach out at 1-800-786-2929. Our lines are open 24/7, so someone will always be here to listen and to help. Good luck and stay strong!
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    So I'm 16 years old with work experience I'm a sophomore in high school and my dad wants me to leave because I don't want to go with his to the social security office and he's demanding my first of the month check which I really don't care about and he's making it worse saying he's gonna file a report saying I lashed out and ran away so he can save his self my mom and most of my family doesn't want me is there any where I can live and get a job at ... please help me . Thank you for listening

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

thank you fr reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about your friend's situation but are glad that he has a friend like you looking out for him and trying to get him help.If he gets kicked out or is needing a place to stay, you or him would be able to call us anytime at 1-800-786-2929 and we would be able to locate the nearest shelters to him. We would also be able to help with other resources that might be useful to him and explore all of his options for youth housing.

Don't hesitate to give us a call whenever he needs us.

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello my friend might be kicked out of his home because his mother isn't really that smart and she has two other kids to take care of and she doesn't really have room for a 17 year old he is still in school and I am helping him try to get a job and good grades and have some money to rent a living space I am trying to help him the best I could but I can not allow him to live in my home because. My own parents won't take him in so I am helping him now and getting him ready to leave his own home willingly or if he gets kicked out at 17 and I don't know where he could go if he gets kicked out at 17 and I want to help him please tell me where he can find a place to stay if he gets kicked out of his home.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a really hard situation and are unsure of where to turn. We want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. You mentioned wanting to leave your home before you are 18. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your guardians could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or want to talk to a liner about other options, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X