Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost 18 wanting to run away

Hi, my girlfriend is a month away from being 18 and she gets emotionally abused at home. My family likes her and would be willing to let her stay with us. We plan to get an apartment anyways and I'm already 18. Her mom would call the cops on us if she did runaway though. I was wanting to know if there would be legal consequences if she's 30 days from being 18 anyways? Thanks.

Almost 18 wanting to runaway

Hi,
    Thank you for posting.

We appreciate your question about the legal status of your girlfriend should she leave home and stays with your family.
    We are not legal experts so we cannot give you a definite answer to this question.
    Runaway laws as they pertain to harboring or aiding a runaway may be a punishable offense.
    You local law enforcement may be able to provide you with more specifics as they pertain to your state.

No one deserves to suffer any forms of abuse, you sound like you have been there to give her support through her ordeal and that’s a very good thing done by you. It may help her more than you know by just having you be in her corner.
    If she does not feel safe or emotionally stable at home perhaps there may be some alternative emergency youth shelters in your area.
    You may give her our 24hr toll free crisis number 1-800-Runaway (786-2929). She can talk with one of our crisis liners about her situation and perhaps come up with some other options.
    We thank you again for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

Take Care
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X