No announcement yet.

Adopted and 16 wanting to leave home

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    i’m 15 living in a home with people i’ve known since i was two but i don’t like the conditions i’m living in and there is no way for me to tell anyone because if i do i get screamed at and neglected more than what i already am. due to my living conditions i got involved with some bad things and got put on probation. is there anything i can do in the state of alabama to fix my living conditions because really and truly i can’t take this place anymore.


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’re going through a lot right now, and we are here to help.
      To begin with, you mentioned earlier that you’re 15, and are living in unstable conditions in your home, causing you to get involved with some bad things. We want you to know that you’re really brave for seeking help, and you are not alone. If you at any time feel unsafe, you can text the word safe and your location to 44357. The national safe place will text you a location to go to, and a case worker might come out to assists you. In the same way, if you’re experiencing any time of abuse at home, you can reach out to the national child abuse hotline at 1800) 422-4453, and they may be able to advise you if it’s necessary to get child protective services involved.

      Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but if you decide to run away without your guardian’s approval, your guardian can contact the authorities, and file a runaway report. Whoever you end up staying with, may face some consequences. If you want to know more about runaway laws in your city and state, you may contact your local non-emergency number at 205) 328-9311. If you need an emergency shelter, the Family Connection, Inc. offers shelter and counseling in Alabama, and can be reached at (205) 664-2273.

      Again, thank you so much for reaching out. We know you’re in a very hard situation, and we’re so proud that you are wanting to seek help. Please feel to reach out to us anytime on chat, or by phone at 1800) 786-2929, and we can call out anywhere on your behalf as well. Best of luck!

  • #17
    Living with my parents isn’t the best can I leave and they don’t have the authority to bring me back home I turn sixteen in a week


    • ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It can definitely be stressful at home when the adults in our lives are not being supportive. You deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel safe and happy.

      Generally speaking, if you leave home without permission from your parents, they can report you as a runaway. Running away is not a crime, but it does mean that your parents can have the police return you home. Usually the easiest way to leave without this happening, is if you have your parent's permission. Perhaps there is a family member or another trusted adult who can help you talk to your parents about wanting to live somewhere else. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can help keep conversations calm and make sure your needs are being heard.

      We are to here to be a support for you during this challenging time. You can reach out anytime by phone or online chat services if you would like to talk more in detail about your situation and brainstorm possible options together.

      Be safe,
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove