Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Home to Legal Issues

While my 17 year old daughter was a runaway, she encountered a lot of legal trouble. She got into trouble the first time running, then was picked up and brought home and we started to deal with it, then she left again and got into worse trouble. It's part of what kept her from coming home. She called me to pick her up this morning and I don't know where to begin.
    In short, this is what she has to deal with...
    Shoplifting charge, got offered diversion, ran away again before our meeting.
    Curfew violation with false identification (this is what caught her the first time), missed court date and now has warrant.
    Stole her grandfather's vehicle and debit card. Car and card was found in the possession of 3 boys she was hanging out with.
    Hit and run with stolen vehicle. Hit a parked car.
    I think that is everything. She called me at 6am today crying and asking me to pick her up because she was sick and scared and tired of running. We don't even know what to do first. I was thinking of calling her diversion officer??? She was nice and said to call if I needed to talk.
    All of the violations are in different cities and I just have no idea what to do. So we are going to the doctor and then I just need some guidance please.
    Oh, and I am poor and can't get a lawyer.

Re: Comint Home to Legal Issues

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us and sharing your story. Sounds like you and your family have been through some very difficult situations and are now facing the tough decisions on how to move forward.

It sounds like your daughter has encountered a lot of situations that have gotten her into criminal trouble. These offenses usually don’t go away until they have been dealt with and those repercussions are usually determined by the courts. Not sue if everything will be tried in one bundle or bit by bit but you’ve got the right idea: contacting the diversion office because they will fill you in on what the next steps will be. Some of those things will probably be very difficult to hear but the only way to deal with the offenses is to deal with them and serve what they need you to serve.

I don’t know if you’ll be required a lawyer but because there have been damages on other’s properties, there may be fines that you’ll have to handle. Again, things that will be hashed out once the youth is seen before a criminal/juvenile/family judge.

You are in a tough spot but this might be the best to handle the situation…see what the diversion officer can do and how to proceed.

If they do tell you that you need a lawyer, they’ll probably give you options on how to obtain a pro-bono (free) law representative.

But we’re glad you reached out to us. We are a 24 hour crisis hotline so if you feel like you need anything else, please reach out to us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are 24 hours, anonymous and confidential.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Thank you. I'm worried with the holiday that it will seem like I am harboring her, but I think calling the diversion officer is the best and responsible way to go as well. I just hope that it is legally ok to wait until Tuesday.

Comment

re: Coming Home to Legal Issues

Hi

Thanks for getting back in touch with the National Runaway Safeline. It seems that you ar concerned about the possibility of harboring charges which is a valid concern. However with this being a holiday weekend, you should be okay. Calling your local police department anonymously and asking a hypothetical question is an option as well.

We would like to wish you and your family the best of luck with things.

~NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X