X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod3
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are really concerned about your son’s girlfriend well-being as well as your grandchild. It’s a good thing she has you for support. You mentioned that you are concerned if she can legally leave her household after graduation. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. Since your son's girlfriend is under 18 if she leaves home, her parent/guardian may file her as a runaway and she may be returned home. Also, those she stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.
    Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. It sounds like she is experiencing financial abuse and could be in a toxic environment. She can contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453 and find out her options as far as reporting that her family members are taking her money. If she wants to explore other options she may have or if you want to call and talk or explore more options feel free to contact us at 1800-RUNAWAY. We are 24/7, confidential and here to help! Best of luck!
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 10-21-2019, 03:48 AM.

Guest replied
    I am not looking for advice for myself but for my sons gf. She is recently 17 and they have an 9 months old son. We r military and had to leave the state, she wanted to come with us but her parents said no which I understand even tho I do not agree with a lot of things that went on in their home. Since we have left things have gotten worse, they threaten her all the time, call her names, keep her from going anywhere but school, they don't include her in a lot of family things and are trying to get her to get on welfare or disability for her son(there's nothing wrong with him). She receives money (along with her other siblings) for her dads accident. She isn't allowed the money and when she asked if she could move out after graduation she was told point blank no because we do to want to lose your money. My question is other than emancipation can you leave after she graduates or does she have to stay until she's 18? And to be honest I believe they are a risk to my grandsons health and well being.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to NRS. We are not legal experts here at NRS but I can recommend a resource called sexetc.org. This is a great resource with information regarding each states age of consent and age of majority. Since you are considered a minor based on New York law, you cannot be thrown out of your house at the age of 17. This can even be considered neglect. You can leave if you receive permission from your guardian. If you have any text messages, witnesses or proof she asked you to leave, that may be helpful in terms of if she files you as a runaway.
    I hope this information helps you with what you are looking for and as always we are here 24/7 to offer support if you need it at 1-800-RUNAWAY and 1800RUNAWAY.ORG. Good Luck.

Guest replied
    Hi i live in Syracuse NY and im 17 my mom told me to leave so i did bit when she found out i was living with my boyfriend she threatened to call the cops on him and he is 18 can she do that?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation.

To best answer your questions, we aren’t legal experts, but we have general knowledge about running away. If you leave without your parent’s permission, she could file you as a runaway with the police. In most states, running away isn’t illegal, but what is called a status offense. You can’t get arrested for it but it will mostly likely go on your record until you are 18. The police will only know if you have runaway if your parents/guardians file a police report. We can’t say for sure how the police will respond, but we hear a lot that police will take potential places you might be and will actively search for you. If they come across you, the most likely will return you home to your parents. If it is your first time running away, their isn't usually any legal consequences. Sometimes we hear that if you are staying with someone who knows you are a runaway and are not actively trying to return you or finding shelter for you, your guardians/or police can press charges against the people who are housing you, with something that is called harboring.

We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

-NRS

Guest replied
    Hey I’m 16 I wanted to run away to live with my gf but I don’t got no money and my gf lives 3hpurs away I don’t know wat to do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. In your case there shouldn’t be a problem with anyone as long as you ran away from home and your parents don’t know where you are. If they knew and let you leave they might be charged with neglect. Again we are not legal experts so we cannot say for sure. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 years old i turn 17 July 16 which is 2 months from now I left home from Missouri to start working and getting myself together because I want to live alone and do things on my own I left home for 6 months and I've been away ever since so i went to my therapist and i told her I'm in a shelter and she filed a report with acs , what charges can they put against me and my parents if they don't find me ? Because I don't want to go back home and I'm going to delete my social media and stay off my phone until I'm 18 because thats the plan . I already have good things go8ng for me here as far as a job and more and I'm getting into the housing in the shelter

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. If you have your parents consent, and it might be a good idea to have it in writing, then it could very well be a possibility that you could do that. It would also be a good idea to check with your school to see if they would allow that. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Guest replied
    I'm 17 and my parents are moving out the school district can I move out with permission to live with none related people to keep going to school where I am

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your grandma could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through other options like a liner facilitating a conference call between you and your grandma or abuse reporting, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    16 and need to move out

hi I'm 16 and I'm going to be 17 In a couple of months I was just wondering if I could legally move out I live with my grandma and she vearbal and emotionally abuses me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Hey, I am 17 turning 18 in six months.

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline;
    it was very brave of you to reach out for help. It sounds like you and your family have been going through so much. While we are not legal experts here, we can talk in general about emancipation and guardianship. In the US, the legal age of majority, or the age at which someone is considered to be an adult, is 18 years old. Until then the youth’s parents or guardians are legally responsible for and able to make decisions for them.
    Someone under the age of 18 can legally become separated from their parents through emancipation. This is a legal process through the court system that allows a minor to become his own legal guardian. This process can take some time and there are specific criteria that a youth needs to meet in order to qualify.

In the state of New York emancipation is referred to as “the renunciation of parental rights to a child”. Some criteria that could allow a youth to qualify for consideration for independence include legal marriage, enlistment in the armed services, ability to establish an independent home, and/or if the parents have failed to fulfill parental obligations.
    Contacting an attorney or legal aid resource is the most reliable way to find out more about emancipation and to give you an opportunity to discuss your specific situation.

In New York, both Brookhaven Youth Bureau (631-654-787 and Dutchess Co. Youth Services (845-486-3665) provide free legal information and aid specifically about emancipation.

Have you been able to talk to anyone about what you have been going through?
    Sometimes people can find it helpful to discuss such a stressful situation with someone they trust like a friend, teacher, counselor, coach, family member, or religious leader. If you ever need a safe place to talk, additional resources, or help making a plan please feel free to reach out to the National Runaway Safeline 24/7 via phone 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or via live chat on our website www.1800runaway.org.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey, I am 17 turning 18 in six months. I am African and my last 10 months I was in Africa that’s where my father lives my mom lives here and parents are trying to force me to go back but I truly don’t want to on my senior year all I want to do is graduate is there a way for me to separate from my parents and stay in the us and yes I’m a us citizen
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-25-2018, 02:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi, there,
    Thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a difficult situation and want to leave home. You absolutely deserve to feel welcome, loved, and supported in your own home. It’s not ever okay for someone to abuse you. It takes a lot of courage and strength to reach out—we understand how wearing and difficult it is to be in an environment where someone calls you mean and terrible names. Since you are still a minor, you would need parental consent to stay with your boyfriend. If you choose to leave without parental consent, your parents could file a runaway report and if the police are able to locate you, they will return you home. Another option you might consider is talking to your family about how you’ve been feeling lately; it could be possible that they don’t understand how they’re affecting you when they call you those names. Another idea would be asking for permission to stay with another person, like your boyfriend, a friend, or another family member. We know that can be a difficult conversation to have, so if you need help feel free to give us a call. We’re happy to help you practice what you might say or even mediate a conversation between you and one of your guardians. Feel free to call us any time you need for resources or support. Our number is 1-800-786-2929. Stay strong and stay safe!
    --NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X