No announcement yet.

17 year old in NY wants to move out

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    I am not looking for advice for myself but for my sons gf. She is recently 17 and they have an 9 months old son. We r military and had to leave the state, she wanted to come with us but her parents said no which I understand even tho I do not agree with a lot of things that went on in their home. Since we have left things have gotten worse, they threaten her all the time, call her names, keep her from going anywhere but school, they don't include her in a lot of family things and are trying to get her to get on welfare or disability for her son(there's nothing wrong with him). She receives money (along with her other siblings) for her dads accident. She isn't allowed the money and when she asked if she could move out after graduation she was told point blank no because we do to want to lose your money. My question is other than emancipation can you leave after she graduates or does she have to stay until she's 18? And to be honest I believe they are a risk to my grandsons health and well being.


    • ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are really concerned about your son’s girlfriend well-being as well as your grandchild. It’s a good thing she has you for support. You mentioned that you are concerned if she can legally leave her household after graduation. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. Since your son's girlfriend is under 18 if she leaves home, her parent/guardian may file her as a runaway and she may be returned home. Also, those she stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.
      Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. It sounds like she is experiencing financial abuse and could be in a toxic environment. She can contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453 and find out her options as far as reporting that her family members are taking her money. If she wants to explore other options she may have or if you want to call and talk or explore more options feel free to contact us at 1800-RUNAWAY. We are 24/7, confidential and here to help! Best of luck!
      Last edited by ccsmod3; 10-21-2019, 03:48 AM.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove