X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from Texas to Minnesota

Hello,
    I am 17, and long story short I graduated high school in February and will be attending a college in Minnesota in September and currently live in Texas. Until recently my parents were ok with me going to Minnesota for the summer to work at the Science Museum, a job I held last summer as well. I will not turn 18 until December after I am in college. I am still planning on going to Minnesota for a visit, but I worry they won't let me return to Minnesota to start work. If I choose to not return to Texas after this visit I believe they will call the police.
    My questions
    1. Will the police actively look for me?
    2. If my parents know the name of the person I am staying with will the police go to their house and send me back to Texas.
    3. Will it be Federal due to me being in Minnesota and my parents in Texas, even though I was given permission to cross state lines.
    4. Will the people I am staying with be at risk for jail or fines?
    5. Any other legal issues I should be worried about?

Re: Going from Texas to Minnesota

Hi there,

We’re glad you reached out to us. NRS is a completely free and confidential service, and we hope to help you out in any way that we can.

We’re sorry to hear that it sounds like your parents don’t want you returning to Minnesota. Did they tell you what made them change their minds about it?

As for legal advice, we aren’t experts, but here’s what we can tell you: 17-year-olds are still considered minors in the state of TX, and therefore if your parents file a runaway report, the police could possibly become involved. In addition, there is a legal situation known as “harboring a runaway,” which could have legal implications for anyone you are staying with.

If you’d like more expert legal advice, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY at any time – we operate 24/7, and any one of our volunteers would be happy to get you connected to free or low-cost legal aid in TX.

We hope this helps you, and good luck with beginning school!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X