Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 in OR

The other day my mom and I got in a fight. We are both to blame for the tension in the relationship. But the belittling me has affected my work ethic in school and how I carry myself. I tried to move out and move in with my fiancee, he is enlisted in the military and we have been together for 3 years. His parents are very inviting of me and his dad is a pastor. We are both still virgins. My mom however threatened.to call the cops if I left. I have found that in OR it is not illegal to runaway. But are there legal consequences for my fiancees parents if they take me in?

Re: 17 in OR

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time. It sounds like you have been having many difficulties with your mom and feel like moving out would be beneficial to you both. Although we are not lawyers, we will try to answer as best as we can. Technically you are correct that it is not against the law to run away from home. However, should your mom call the police and report you missing, she does have the right to press charges against your fiancé’s parents. It would be called ‘harboring a runaway’. Have you tried talking to your mom about how she is making you feel?

It sounds like you have somewhere safe to go where you feel welcomed. We are glad that your fiancé and his family are supportive of you. Have you talked to them about taking the risk of harboring you until you turn 18?

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we would be more than happy to find you some legal aid referrals, or any other resources you may need. We are confidential, anonymous and toll-free. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY or by live chat at www.1800runway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

-NRS
    ccsmod10
    Super Moderator
    Last edited by ccsmod10; 05-20-2013, 08:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

A friend of mine told me that I cannot be reported as a runaway for 24 hours. So long as I do not leave my house with his parents they cannot get in trouble for me being there. And if I am checking in every day I am not considered a runaway and they cannot get in trouble. Is this true?

Comment

re:

Hi and thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have some things going on at home that are making you want to runaway from your parents. Have you tried talking with them about how you are feeling? Sometimes talking it out and sharing what’s going on can help to find some resolve and make it more comfortable staying at home. It’s great that you are thinking ahead of what might happen and we hope that we can point you in the right direction to find answers to your questions.

Because we are not legal experts, we can’t tell you exactly what might happen if you runaway. In many places a guardian is able to file a runaway report as soon as the youth leaves without permission. That of course can vary by community and laws differ by city and state. What you could do is to call your local police department through the non-emergency line and ask directly what might happen and what your rights are. You can also call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours a day or chat with us from 4:30-11:30pm CST to discuss some other options available to you. We are so glad that you contacted us and hope that you’ll call in.

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X