Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• negligence at a facility HELP!!!

My 16 y.o was Marchman acted in a facility 5 weeks ago in Florida and had not received any psychiatric treatment since entering including, mental health counseling, medication or placement into a facility that can treat her diagnosis. The Judge ordered her to be at a dual diagnosis facility with minimal security where she was released due to another juvenile bringing her contaband while they were on a "home visit". She and another female used the contraband and became aggressional and was arrested for battery. She was returned to the original receiving facility that deals with drug addictions for juveniles and not the psychiatric aspect. Her dad and I have both attempted to make arrangements for a placement to a new facility and have had little assistance from the facility to move her to a facility more capable of caring for her needs. After a 2 week span of behavioral issues I spoke to the nurse who I repeated myself over and over with my concerns on her safety with herself and others stated if I wanted treatment for her psychologically I have to make a request to the counselor who never returned my call. The next night 5 of the children were found unattended and having sexual activities. Police were called for a disturbance and never notated anything about the sexual activity and lack of supervision. They never interviewed the girls involved only the boys and sent everyone to bed. Nothing was written up in a report about the sexual aspects happening and the Officer stated he was never told about it. Reported on the abuse line and no one followed through. Went to facility and was denied visitation to my daughter by the director and the PD requested me to leave site or be removed. No one gave me access to her to see if she was ok and refused to speak to me about why. Facility had no paperwork on visitation protocols at the facility. The next day her and 3 other juveniles ran away and she is still missing. They have violated her rights and our as parents. What can we do?

Re: negligence at a facility HELP!!!

It sounds like there is a lot going on right now and we are glad you reached out through our bulletin board. You mentioned that your daughter recently got into some trouble and was court ordered into a treatment facility but has recently been on the run from the facility. It sounds like there have been issues and concerns going on with the facility and you feel it is not a safe place or providing effective treatment for your daughter. You also mentioned that you have tried to find other placement or talk with several people about your concerns and nothing was done. It’s understandable you feel you and your daughter’s rights were violated and you are frustrated by the lack of assistance you have received. It sounds like right now there are two main issues going on. One is trying to report the facility for possible negligence. The other is trying to find your daughter and get her into a safe environment. Obviously there are some legal issues that come up because the courts were involved. Unfortunately we can’t answer any specific legal questions but we may be able to discuss some options or other resources that may be available. Is there some kind of patient advocate at the facility that you may be able to reach out to? It may be helpful to get some youth advocacy programs involved if you feel your daughter’s rights are in jeopardy and she is not getting the care she needs.

These first two agencies may be able to help if you are trying to report what is going on in this facility. The last agency listed works specifically with runaway/missing youth and may be able to help more in regards to that.

Joint Commission Hotline – 1-800-994-6610
    JCAHO is a private, non-profit group that acts as a national accrediting organization for a great number of hospitals in the country. The Joint Commission reviews all quality of care complaints. If the agency is not JCAHO accredited you may be able to ask what agency accredits them and reach out to them.

Florida Department of Health – 1-850-245-4209
    They may be able to take a report on the specific agency in your area. Number given above is for Children’s Services Division.

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) – 1-800-843-5678
    Have a separate database that they can report youth’s information. Helps with posters/fliers and can coordinate efforts with police.

Hopefully some of those resources will be able to assist with what is going on. Keep in mind that we are available 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). While we don’t specifically take reports here there is always someone available to provide support, discuss options, and find other helpful resources if needed. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. There is always someone here to listen. Take care.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: negligence at a facility HELP!!!

Thank you for responding. Good to know there are others concerned. I called several times to resolve issues that seemed to be overlooked an to no avail received no further responses from the facility for weeks. Three days prior to my daughter and 3 other children going missing I practically begged the RN who worked with my daughter to please watch her because the RN explained my daughter had been having problems sleeping and was up at night sleeping all day. I asked the RN if my daughter had been cutting or showing signs of depression or suicide. The RN stated they don't monitor those type of issues and she can be referred out for psychiatric evaluation thruough the counselor. I asked if anyone had documented any cuts and to please watch her that the signs are clear that she is having problems. The day before my daughter went missing a differnet RN explained to me that supervision for appx 45 mins. had occurred the night before and 5 children were found unclothed and the female and male wing were unsupervised by the adult male and female staff. The children stated they had sexual encounters and a disturbance call was placed to the Police who came and got the kids in bed. Nothing was ever documented that anyone spoke to my daughter to ensure her safety or health. I came with the Police that morning so they could asses my daughter and I was told to leave the premise or be removed by the officer that I came with. The Director is no longer with the facility needless to say. A marchman act on my daughter was initiated the day after the kids left. Now she will have to return to the facility she ran from. I have her on the missing childrens list, ther is an ongoing investigation they have 60 days and my daughter turned 17 yesterday mothers day was awful and my 4 other children don't know yet. I am devestated. They never referred her anywhere to help her. Last I heard she's trying to go to Texas.

Comment

Thank you for getting back to us and telling us more about what is going on. It sounds like this is an incredibly difficult time for you and your family; we are sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have tried contacting the facility several times to no avail. It also sounds like you had tried to work with the RN there and asked them to keep an eye on your daughter but they didn’t. It also sounds like the police weren’t able to help you out and they forced you to leave the premises. Have you spoken with anyone at Child Protective Services about the facility? You may have the option to file a report or complaint against them.

You mentioned that you heard she may be trying to get to Texas; do you mind us asking how you heard that? If your daughter has a cell phone, you may be able to contact the phone company to see if they can track the phone or provide you with a list of people she has been in contact with. Does your daughter have a social networking page, such as Facebook or Twitter? You may also be able to find some information on there as well. There is a webpage (www.findyourmissingchild.org) that is run by parents who used social media to locate their missing daughter; they have provided information and resources for other parents who are looking for their child as well.

We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you would like to talk with us more about what is going on and to see if there are more resources that may be available to you. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through online chat from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X