Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im 16 and hate living at home if i run away can the police force me to go back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 and I hate being in my house my whole family looks at me like I'm insane and evil I just want to leave can I just leave is that illegal?
    l

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm 16 and I want to run away, its been on my mind non-stop and I don't know why. I still care about my family, but I was wondering if I runaway during the school year, would my parents still be able to be arrested because I'm not in school, even though I'm doing online school during Covid? Also I was wondering where are some good cities to runaway to? I feel like if I was to runaway to a big city, it would be hard for my family to track me down.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have a plan to leave home without consent and are interested in knowing more about police response.
    As a minor, if you leave home before you are a legal adult without parental consent and your parents report you, the police will make a good faith effort to find you and bring you back home. We cannot say with certainty if crossing state lines will affect their ability to find you. It is possible that police could investigate where you have gone and connect with the local sheriff’s department in that area. One way to find out would be to call your local police department and ask them anonymously how they might handle your situation. If you call us first, we can help you locate this number and can even call out with you.
    We hope this helps. We want you to know that you can always reach out to us for help. We are available 24/7. Our number is 1-800-RUN-AWAY. Stay safe and stay strong.
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    f14. if i were to get a ride and move states do you think police would ever find me?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hi im 16 and i want to run away, im not happy in this house, i just wanna go some where far away

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Is it possible to run away at 16 and where should I go?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS through our public forum-it takes a lot of courage to do so and we appreciate your willingness to be open with us during a difficult time. Firstly, happy early birthday and we hope you can have your phone back by then to be able to receive your birthday wishes! Regarding your parents, it must be upsetting since you feel that they are over punishing you for something that happened months ago and especially around the time of your birthday. It can be really emotionally straining to live in a household where you feel unhappy, with or without access to your phone, and no one should have to feel this way in their home. You should not have to feel pushed to the point of thinking about hurting yourself in your own home. It might be helpful to reach out to a trusted family member or friend to talk about the situation at home, just so you can get those emotions off your chest.Regarding the emancipation process, it could be some time before that happens, since it is an involved legal process and as you mentioned, your parents don’t seem too willing to allow you to apply for a job. It would be a bit difficult to follow through with this process if you are unable to demonstrate to the court that you can be self-sufficient. This is just something to think about as you are considering the route of emancipation. If you would like to reach out to us directly, please contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) to discuss further your options during this difficult time. We are here to listen and help to the best of our abilities 24/7.

Guest replied
    Im jamiah and i'll be turning 16 in 2 weeks. dec 18th. Currently my phone is taken because my parents found out i snuck a boy over.. but they found out months after and now they are doing to much. i fear i wont have my phone for my bday. my phone is my only happiness in this house. literally. being here with or without a phone makes me wanna kms. im always sad here regardless. i wanna get emanicapated but they wont let me get a job or anything. i have no control over my life and its sad. i can never have room to make my own choices and mistakes. i rlly hate it here.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds like things are really hard at home with your parents making you feel like your life is out of control and this causing your mental health to decline.
    It is understandable that feeling like running away is an option, but yes, if found, police can bring you back, so running away is a big decision and we can certainly talk about all of it. We can also talk over ways to help you feel better at home. By having a conversation with you, we are able to listen and help.
    You can reach us 24/7 by calling our hotline or through our live chat service via www.1800runaway.org
    We truly hope to hear from you soon.
    NRS

Guest replied
    i don’t feel unsafe, but my parents are making me feel like my life is out of my control, i might sound stupid but it’s making my mental health rapidly decline. i need to get out of here but i don’t know where to go or if the police will be involved

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thank you for contacting NRS. We appreciate you reaching out to us in this really difficult situation. From what we read about the situation it seems like your mom has been mistreating you at home and you feel like you need options in order to get some help. Please know that you should not be treated like that that if there is physical or emotional abuse you have the right to report with the police or our organization in order to get help. Some things you mentioned were that your mom is threatening to kick you out and purposely get you in trouble for being kicked out by her. Some things to keep in mind are that if your mom tries to do something like that it might be a good idea to record her saying it or even screenshotting the conversation on your phone so that if she does do something like that you can have evidence of her saying it. This helps advocate for yourself as you have visual or audio proof that she in fact threw you out. That way when police either try to question why you ran away you can further advocate that you may not want to live there as she clearly just wants to bother you and not take care of you. If you do find yourself without a home please know that you can always call us at (800-786-2929) or use our chat option at 1800runaway.org and we can help provide you with shelter resources near you.

Another thing to mention is if you feel you have been abused in the past or present please feel free to reach out to us and we would be happy to help report any abuse to the proper authorities. There is another organization that specializes in child abuse reporting and that is Child Help. You can also reach out to them via Hotline: (800) 422-4453 or online in their chat option at www.childhelp.org.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We, unfortunately, cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X