Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im 16 and hate living at home if i run away can the police force me to go back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod9
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We appreciate you being able to reach out and be honest about what is going on. It seems like your dad is being really unfair to you and your situation. We are sorry that is happening and that you don’t deserve it. As far as going home it might be a good idea to find an adult and see if they can offer support to you and your situation. Another thing to keep in mind is maybe just calling NRS and we can conference call with you and your dad. In this call you can express what you would like to see and what you want to do moving forward. It can be a good talk because we will be in the conversation and give you the ability to feel heard and like your dad might hear you out better.

If you feel you need to talk further with us please do not hesitate to call or use our chat option online as we don’t normally respond to second emails. Our call option is 1-800-786-2929 and you can find our chat option online at 1800runaway.org (click on the chat option). We hope you are able to find a quick solution to your predicament , NRS

Guest replied
    I ran away and i dont know what my dad will do if i go back. Life is miserable at my house. He took my phone which I paid for. I have a job and my dad took $1.6k out of my bank account because he said i had to pay for my braces and i didnt tell him that he could. He hates me and I hate him. He never lets me do anything with my friends or anything. I go to school. But every time i go home I just runaway again.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that it hasn't been a good time at home right now. You have a right to your feelings and a right to be heard. We are here to support you in whatever way we can.

You ask what might happen if you stay at your boyfriend's house without permission (and also not go to school). One thing your parents might do is file a runaway report with the police. Running away isn't a crime, but it is a status offense like breaking curfew. If your parents know where you are (your boyfriend's house), they can ask the police to visit and you may be taken back to your parent's house. More seriously, anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. As for school, if you are absent long enough it is likely the school will contact your parents.

Those are just some ideas as to what might happen, but we never tell anyone what to do. Perhaps there are some other options available to you that you haven't considered yet? We'd like to help you find out what those options might be. The best way for us to do that is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via our main page: www.1800runaway.org.

We hope to hear from you soon! stay safe!

NRS

Guest replied
    Im 16years old I’m not happy at home I feel like my parents hate me they don’t understand I have a bf bc I’m scared to tell them stuff. What happens if they find out I’m not going to school or just staying at my bfs house what happens if they call the police I want to make the right go stay at my bfs house

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. This is a really great question to ask. If you leave home without the permission of your legal guardian(your parents), they can report you as a runaway. Running away is not illegal and it is not a crime. If you do leave though, your parents can potentially have the police return you home. Your boyfriend could be charged with a misdemeanor called harboring a runaway although it is rare. We are not legal experts here at NRS so we cannot give you absolute answers. Your local police department will better be able to give you information about their runaway and harboring protocols. You can call the non-emergency number to ask questions anonymously.

Do not hesitate to reach out any time by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org if you would like to talk more about your situation. We are here 24/7 to listen and help.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hey i am 17 and i will run away to my boyfriend house who is gotta get trouble me or my boyfriend

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, at age 55 you can legally leave your home or move if you need. That sounds really frustrating that police are not helping you when you are being harassed.

If you need any shelter resources or help with rent assistance to afford a new place to stay, you might reach out to the United Way information and referral line by dialing 2-1-1.

We truly wish you the best of luck,

NRS

Guest replied
    I am 55 I want to run away from home as I am getting harrest and police won't do anything about it

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It makes sense that you'd want the same kind of independence and freedom that your peers have. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

You mentioned that you had regretted having sex because of your family's extreme reaction. We want you to know that sex is completely natural and normal and there is no shame in choosing to engage in, or abstain from sexual activity. This is an incredibly personal act and whatever you choose to do is best. As you make this personal decision you may want to check out Planned Parenthood by going to www.plannedparenthood.org for information regarding STI prevention and birth control.

You mentioned that your dad had a very violent response to your decision to have sex. His actions were not acceptable and you shouldn't have had to endure that. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

It's great that you have an ally in your cousin and feel comfortable staying with him. It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. It’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement with your cousin will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. Living and especially traveling on your own can also bring about many safety risks. You will need to consider ways that you can protect yourself from physical harm as well as the possibility of sexual and labor exploitation. This can all influence your decision to leave.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am a 16 year old girl, about to turn 17 in December. I was always causing stress to my parents because I was disobeying them, only because they are really strict on me. Ever since I was 9 I would sneak behind their backs and do things I wasn't allowed to do. For example, they never allowed me to text my friends on the phone and whenever I did, they would take the phone away. But then, I would go behind their back and take the phone and keep it until they caught me. Recently I had gotten a hold of a phone and was able to hide it for 5 months. Then I snuck out the house for the 1st time. I loved the adrenaline and so i kept doing it. My younger brother ended up finding the phone on the side of my bed and gave it to my parents. They found out everything I was doing by reading my messages on the phone. They saw I gave the address away to some of my friends and immediately flipped out. My dad started hitting me and pushing me to the floor and kicking me. My mom started screaming at me. I also did something I regretted when I snuck out one of the times ... I lost my virginity. Not because I was pressured, but because I wanted to know how I would react and feel. I was being impatient. So, when they found that out, my mom wanted to disown me. She called me all sorts of discussing names and wanted me to leave the house. She even started to send my dad a list of numbers of homes to put me in. My dad was also very upset at me. He made me take a pregnancy test and if if I was to refuse to do it, he was going to kick me out the house. I ended up not being pregnant, which I already knew. Something I should mention, is we are staying at my uncle's house for a month and now my dad has to tell my uncle what I've done. I can get in trouble with the law too. When I was on the phone I was sexting with a guy I liked. I feel so guilty and my dad said at any moment, he can report me if I do something wrong. I cant take the guilt, regret, and the pain I have from all of this. Suicide is not an option for me, so I want to run away. I have made a list of what I'll need to bring with me and possible places to stay. The thing I cant get out of my head is how I'm going to gain the confidence of leaving the house. I want to leave Florida and stay with my cousin in NY, because he doesn't communicate with my family anymore and I know for a fact i'll be safe. I know my family members will miss me, such as my siblings, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. But when they find out what I've done, they won't care that I left. Please help me with this situation !!!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway that same day and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I don’t feel safe living with my parent. she pretty much abuses me mentally and threatened to call the police if I run. Is it true that you aren’t considered a runaway unless your gone for 24 hours and can she call the cops even though I have been hurt by her

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but do have some knowledge on the laws. It is not illegal for you to leave home at 16 but it is a status offense. What that means is if you leave home and the police find you they most likely would bring you back home.
    If you would like to talk more about what is going on or explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Ok im 16 i read online that its legal to leave at 16 from your home where im at but im scared if i do leave that my parents might called the cops

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through quite a lot lately. You do not deserve to have your sleep interrupted due to your brother. You could consider talking to a school counselor about what has been going on. Sometimes talking with a professional can help you think of options you may have not thought of previously.
    We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. If you were to leave home without permission you could be considered as a runaway. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. Whoever you stay with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options more please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X