Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im 16 and hate living at home if i run away can the police force me to go back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: I don't know

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and help in any way we can.

From what you shared, it seems like you just need a break from your family and go away for a few nights, have you thought about potentially asking your parents if there was a way you can spend a few nights at a friend’s home or another family members home? Sometimes just speaking to your parents and being able to communicate how you are feeling and what you think would help make you feel better about what you are going through can help. Another option could be to potentially write them a letter and explain to them how you feel and what you would think would help make you feel better.

These are a few options that you may want to consider, it sounds like you are going through some hard times in your life and if at any point you would wish to speak further about your situation, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), we’re here 24/7. We also have a live chat service which is available from 4:30 to 11:30 PM CST, every day. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I am under 16...

If I run away and go to the police to say that I do not want to live at home anymore, will they take me back home or will they do something else? I really cannot stay at home so please let me know anyone who can answer my question? thanks

Comment

RE: i am under 16...

Hi,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us at NRS. It sounds like you’ve got a big decision on your mind and you’ve contacted the right place! This is a great first step toward learning about your options and making an informed choice.

We’re not legal experts at NRS, but we know that each police jurisdiction is different in the way they handle runaway youth. If you feel comfortable, you could try calling your local police station (anonymously, if you’d prefer) and ask how they would handle a situation like yours. If you’d like to give your information to the police, a couple things could happen: police might say that because your parents know where you are, they won’t come get you or take a runaway report. But now that the police and your parents know where you are, they can come get you if they want. Since you’re under 16, they might be fairly strict when it comes to getting you back to your legal guardians. As a minor, if you decide to leave home without parental permission, your parents would be able to file a runaway report with the police. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that you cannot get arrested for running away. However, the person that you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a criminal offense and the severity of that changes in each state. Have you considered asking your parents to let you stay with a friend or family member? What would they say? These might be some things to think about.

Thank you again for reaching out, that takes a lot of courage. Please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you’d like to talk about some more options or need additional resources.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

15 And Done

I live in a so-called "Family" with both of my parents, a brother and a sister. It is late Monday night here. In the early hours of Friday morning, as in 4am or so, my dad had been drinking (Not excessively, but considered drunk?) and I was still awake as I suffer from insomnia problems. He was screaming at me about how I don't care about anyone but myself, I'm ungrateful and the like. He then told me as I was crying, not able to take in enough breath because I was having a panic attack, that he was done with me he gives up and he is disowning me, I'm not his daughter. He then left my room. He returned minutes later to tell me he was leaving so he went out walking. My mom was still asleep. I used my sisters kindle to text my boyfriend through the app kik because my dad had taken my phone and kindle. I explained what was happening etc. His family loves me and they were going to come get me but I said I didn't want to leave until my mom had left for work around 6:30am so I could retrieve my phone from their room. Instead she woke up and drove around looking for my dad who left on foot and did not go to work that day after bring him home. I want to leave, I wanted to cut (Which I'm clean from since April) and I wanted to die. My dad hasn't spoken to me since that morning (Approximately three days now) and took the tv remote because he hates me. I told my mom and she said to just talk to him and apologize but none of his accusations were true as I thank them anytime they do something for me and I care more about anyone than myself, I wouldn't exist if I could help it. But anyway, she told ME to apologize to HIM even though he won't even speak to me. I thought more about harming myself and running away in the past few minutes and found this page. I don't know what to do but I feel like I can't stay here anymore, there's no point. I have $300+ with me at the moment so I could last a little while on my own...

Comment

what do i do

i ranaway i i dont now what to do here

Comment

RE: what do i do

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like there are some things going on that is making you feel like you only option is to leave. We are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms what could happen if you decided to leave without parental consent. Generally you are not an adult until you turn 18. If you were to leave before you turned 18, then your parents would be able to file a runaway report with the local police department. Essentially, this is a notification to law enforcement that your parents cannot be held legally responsible for you. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that you cannot do it because of your age, not because it is against the law. However, anyone that stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway, this could be friends or family members.

We are glad you contacted us. However we are not here to tell you what to do. You are the expert in your own life and the only one that can make the decision that leaving is best for you. We are here to make sure you are safe and go over options with you.

We hoped this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail you can always give us a call on our hotline or chat with us on our website. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.

NRS

Comment

15 And Done

Hello,
                Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
                First of all we would like to say good job reaching out. It sounds like you have been troubled by what was said to you by your father. You have every right to feel the way that you do. Those sounded like some pretty harsh words. That being said how are you?
                Your father’s behavior is not your fault. You mentioned that he had been drinking.
                It can be very difficult to communicate with someone that has been drinking and possibly drunk. Still you did not deserve to be talked to that way. We understand how this may have upset you.

It sounds like you spoke to your mother about it but you are hesitant to use her advice. It’s your decision to make. You said he has not spoken to you since this occurred three days ago. Is that right? Is it possible he feels embarrassed about his behavior thus making it difficult for him to face you? Just a thought. It sounds like that the situation has you considering running away and possibly going to stay with your boyfriend and his family.
                It must bring you some comfort to know they are supportive of your wellbeing.

We are glad for you that you chose not to self-harm from the emotional strain this has caused you. Good for you.

NRS is here to listen and here to help. You are welcome to call us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit www.1800Runaway.org to continue talking about your situations.
                You are welcome to speak and explore some options.

Sometimes it might be helpful to talk things out and think the situation through before making a decision. Does that make sense?
                You have exhibited a good ability to reason with the situation without being harsh or judgmental. These are very good indications that you are selfless and that you do have concern for others feelings. Keep up the good work.

Staying home might mean trying to find a way to resolve some of the issues you face.
                Leaving home might set new ones in motion. One of the important things is that you seem to be weighing your options and trying to find outlets that do not include harming yourself.
                Good for you. If you would like to look into resources such as individual or family counseling we might be able to assist you finding resources in your area.

We hope that reaching out to NRS has helped somewhat.
                We are always here to listen.

Take care,
                NRS

Comment

16 and ready to live for myself

I just ran away from home and I want to start over, be a ghost. I'm planning to burn my finger prints and cut my hair as well as get a job where they don't ask for a social security or papers, then when I get the enough money I will hitch a ride to the bus station and go to a different city and share an apartment with someone else after getting a different job at the new city of course, do you think it's possible to keep doing this and eventually move to Mexico once I'm 20?

Comment

re: 16 and ready to live for myself

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty rough time at this point in your life and we hope you are in a safe environment. If you feel like you need resources to shelters or need a safe place to go, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we are here 24/7 and have a large database with referrals to safe places across the nation.

It sounds like you have a pretty extensive plan and have thought about many things already. There are a few questions you might want to consider before you decide to leave, we have posted some below to help you brain storm through this plan:

Do I have a place to stay?
                    What about school? Would I continue to get an education?
                    Am I going to be gone awhile or coming back in a few days?
                    What would I do for money? Shelter? Food? Transportation?
                    Who can I depend on if I leave home?
                    Do I have a safe, solid plan?
                    What is my plan b in case my first plan doesn’t work?
                    What have I done to make things better at home?
                    What can I do to make things better at home?
                    Who have I reached out to make things better at home?

So, we are not legal experts here, which means that we are only able to talk about your situation in general terms. In most states, if you are under 18, you are still considered a minor, meaning that your parents are able to file a runaway report, and if you are found, you would typically be forced to go back home. Typically, in most states, once you are over the age of 18, you would be considered an adult, which means that you are able to decide to live wherever you want. As I mentioned earlier, we are not legal experts here, if you would want more legal answers, feel free to give us a call and we would be able to provide you with a legal aid where you would be able to ask some general legal questions. We are also able to contact your local police department for you, with you on the other line, and see what they would do about a situation like yours.

We hope that we were able to give you a general idea of what might happen now that you are gone. If you have any other questions or if you would like to know more about shelters in your area to be in a safe place, please feel free to give us a call, we are here 24/7 and would be more than happy to talk to you about your situation. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

I want to runaway for the summer because I prefer to be alone and no idea where to go

I've always dreamed of being on my own and away from my parents. Im 15, 16 next year and I like being alone and I can't run to my biological dad because he lives on the other side of the state and I want to runaway for the summer. I can't handle being around my mom and my stepdad because I feel like they have me tied down, i also have a lot of problems I would like to tell a therapist or something but my parents don't have the money and they say that it would ruin my "reputation and chance at life". I don't know what to do and I need help.

Comment

I want to runaway for the summer because I prefer to be alone and no idea where to go

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things have been pretty tough between you and your family, and we are really sorry to hear about all of this. It sounds like you have asked for some help and you have not gotten it, which has got to be disheartening. We’re really glad that you are continuing to try to figure out some options, and that you found us. We’re here to help you as much as we can.

You shared that you like being alone, and you can’t run to your biological dad because of how far away he lives from where you stay currently. It sounds like you’re being realistic regarding distance, which is a good step. Where do you think that you would stay if you were to stay alone somewhere for the summer? We’re not legal experts, but generally if you were to leave without permission from your legal guardians, they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made, and the police find you they would just bring you back home. However, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring. It sounds like you just want to be away for the summer, have you talked to your family to see if they would let you stay elsewhere for this time?

It sounds like you have brought up the idea of a therapist before to your mom and your step-dad, but because of the stigma around therapy and the cost, they have declined to help you with this. This has got to be extremely frustrating. As far as cost issues, we have a lot of resources within our database for counseling services that are either free or low cost. If you were to call us at 1800runaway or chat with us, we could talk through these options further and see what resources we have in your area. Another possible helpful resource we’d like to pass along to you is https://teenlineonline.org/, where you can talk to other teens that might be experiencing similar issues and may be able to offer some additional support to you.

We are not here to tell you what you should or should not do. We’re here to help you stay safe in whatever decision you do make. If you would like to talk more through your options and situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to support you.

Best of luck,
                        NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Need help

So I just got into an altercation with my family. Basically I ranaway and I'm hiding behind a church. My mom said she already called the cops but I think she's just trying to scare me. If the police were to find me, what would happen to me?

Comment

Re: Need Help

Thank you very much for writing us at the National Runaway Safeline. Sorry to hear about your altercation with your family and that this led to your running away. It must be difficult and a bit scary to have left your home and to wonder to yourself what would happen if the police found you.

Since you are a minor and not yet 18, your mom can call the police and file a runaway report. Once she does that, all of your information will go into a police database throughout the US. While each police department handles things differently, if they do find you and suspect that you are a runaway, they typically return youth home—provided home is a safe place.

If you’d like to talk more and explore your options, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us!

Best,

NRS

Comment

Legal consequences of running away at 16

I'm 16 years old (almost 17) and have been struggling in the house I've been living in for 4 years. Since my dad remarried I've been treated poorly... Mentally and emotionally abused everyday. My dad refuses to let me move in with my mom however, and if she filed for custody of me, I would be 18 before the case was settled anyway... so my circumstances would remain the same... I just need help on how to get out of this situation without being in trouble legally or being brought back to this horrible, mentally/emotionally abusive home... I have mental health issues because of the way I'm treated here and I have no one to turn to for help.. I don't want my mom to be charged with kidnapping because this is my choice to go there.. she's just supporting me... so this seems to be my only option... Also, I live in Kentucky.

Comment

re: Legal consequences of running away at 16

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out today and sharing your story with us. It sounds like you’re going through so much at home right now with your stepmom. It’s got to be exhausting to be in a place where you don’t feel safe. It makes sense that you’re thinking about moving in with your mom – it sounds like you want to go in order to protect yourself. That’s smart. It’s great that you reached out to get some information – so let’s see how we can help you out.

It sounds like you’re working on a pretty solid plan. We aren’t legal experts here, but we are able to speak generally about this kind of stuff. If you are under 18, and you leave home without your guardian’s (this sounds like it’s your dad) permission, then your dad has the right to file a runaway report with the police. The police would look for you and if they find you, they could bring you back home. It’s not illegal to be filed as a runaway, but you could be forced back home.
                                The reason that your dad has the right to do that is because your dad is legally responsible for whatever happens to you until you turn 18. At 18, you gain the right to make decisions for yourself and you are legally responsible for yourself. Unless guardianship gets changed to your mom, then your dad would have the right to file a runaway report.

Now, if you are found at your mom’s house, then your mom could be charged with something called harboring a runaway. Even though you decided to move there, your mom could be charged with that. The consequences range a lot. Sometimes the police don’t press charges and sometimes there could be fine or that person could be sent to jail. It usually depends on if your mom has been in trouble with the law before.

These are all things that might happen. We can’t say for sure, because we don’t know for sure how the police would respond. We just wanted to make sure that you had all the information.

If you want to talk through more options, we’re here to support you. If you decide to leave and move in with your mom, we’re here to support you. Whatever you decide to do, we’re here to support you through this. Please call or chat with us in order to talk more. You can call us 24 hours a day at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X