Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im 16 and hate living at home if i run away can the police force me to go back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    My parents are abusive and my grandma will let me live with her. I'm only 16 is there anyway I can get get out b4 17. I live in Michigan

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission even if you are in foster care. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Can you tell the cops when and if they find you when you runaway that your one parents treats you like crap and constantly thinks ur doing wrong and just wants to have power and control over you

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Is it legal for a foster kid to run away in the state of florida if she is 16 soon to be 17?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like there is a lot going on right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

If you'd like to talk in more detail about your situation please do not hesitate to reach out by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chatting with us via www.1800RUNAWAY.org as we can best help by phone or chat (NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance).

Best, NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 15 gonna be 16 in 2 months , me and my mom fight too much and it’s too toxic I’m unhappy where I’m living and I messed up in school so I just wanna give up at this point , I wanna leave home and runaway with my boyfriend , he’ll be 18 in 3 months I plan to stay with him in another city but I’m scared because my mom knows that I want to run away and will do anything to find me if I were to leave she also knows where all my friends live and boyfriend , my plan is to leave and go ghost with my boyfriend and if she files a runaway I know there will be problems, I don’t want my boyfriend to get in this mess cuz my mom is crazy and will beat him up I can’t be found until I’m 18 but that’s too long but if he were to lie and say he hadn’t heard from me and didnt know I left would he get in trouble if he’s questioned by the police?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents/grandparents (whoever is your legal guardian) can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents/grandparents. If you go to stay at your friend's house without prior permission, whoever is the adult in that household could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents/grandparents view the situation.

You mentioned some things about harassment and threats that raise concern for your safety and well-being. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 12 and I want to live with my friend. I still live near the same school and her parents agreed. Is it legal to stay with them? Will they be charged anything? What happens if my mother calls the police? My parents aren't in a custody battle and technically I live with my Grandparents. My Grandparents harass me and threaten me. What am I allowed to do that is legal?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension and where your independence and romantic relationships are not respected. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

You mentioned that you struggle with PTSD and IED; it can be really hard to live with mental health issues and we want you to know that you aren’t alone in addressing them. If you’d like some additional support, an organization that may be helpful is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). You can contact them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741. Another agency that could be of great help is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA); they can help you locate low or no cost mental health care providers in your area. Their number is 1-877-726-4727 or you can go to their site at samhsa.gov.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It sounds like living with your parents is very difficult. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents.

It’s great to hear that you have a stable home in mind. If you go to stay there without prior permission from your parents, the adult in the home could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents view the situation.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey, i'm currently 17 and going be 18 in sep. I want to move out sine i believe im better off alone and i cant forgive my parents for ruining my ex life. We talked and she actually support my dreams and ********. She cared about me, i havent felt a real smile from human affection in a while. My parents called and ruin it, i told i was better off alone since ive been neglected. I never grew close with them. i ssuffer from ptsd and explosive disorder. im not trying run away but im not sure where ill run to.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us. It can be tough to ask for help, and we’re very glad you did.
    It sounds like you’re going through some really tough stuff at home. The first thing we want to do is make sure you’re safe, especially if you’re already in the process of moving out. We are a 24/7 support hotline, and you can call or chat us any time to talk through options and answer any questions you may have.
    Caring for your own mental health is super important. If you ever want to talk to a professional about the issues you’re facing, you can call 1-800-950-NAMI, or text NAMI to 741741. This hotline is designed for individuals struggling with mental health issues, and can be a great resource if you need to talk through things you’re dealing with.
    Thank you again for reaching out. Please don’t hesitate to call or chat with us any time to discuss the decisions and talk through options to keep you safe.

Guest replied
    Hi I turning 15 and I want to run away I live in Indiana.I have a stable home to go to with family and my parents would never find me .Parents are horrible people.I want to run and change my name the things would work out but sacred that the police would be brought in and take me back which my life would end.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm 16, turning 17 in November. I can't wait till 18 because I'm tired of my mental health deteriorating while I live in my strict Muslim home. A family that is broken and will never be put together. I decided to move out tonight and I'm just looking to see what to do so I don't end up falling apart completely. I don't want to act too quickly or harshly because I want this to be a good decision that will benefit me in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

We are not legal experts, but we can answer your questions generally. If you leave without permission, your parents can let police know that you are a runaway and give them locations of where you might be including your school. If your parents really advocate for themselves to police, police could have more of a response. However, there are not additional steps they can take to report you as a runaway.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation. We are always here for you: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X