Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im 16 and hate living at home if i run away can the police force me to go back?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I'm 16 and want to run away to my boyfriends house.

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    Even though your mother may have told you to leave she could still change her mind.
    If by chance she filed a runaway report you could be returned home.
    Most states do have laws against harboring or aiding someone that has run away from home. We do not know to what extent the legal punishment might be. You would have to contact your local police department to gain information about the runaway laws in your state. Most states set the age of adulthood at 18 meaning if you are under the age of 18 you are still a minor and your parents are still your legal guardian.
    If you would like to speak more about your situation and explore options give NRS a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit www.1-800-Runaway.org (live chat).
    We hope that you are able to find a suitable solution to your situation.
    Take Care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm 16 and want to run away to my boyfriends house.

Well there's a lot of drama in my house and honestly my m told me herself if yuh choose to leave the door is right there but that if I left that don't not come back. So If I run away to my boyfriends house and his parents choose to take me I'm what can my mom do? She didn't really seem to care but would she take legal action? Will my boyfriends parents get in trouble legally? Don't I have the right to choose where I will stay if I feel I don't want to stay at home? I will be going to school and I will be in search of a job but what will happen? I seriously don't want to live here any longer.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    replied
    re: I want to runaway from home

Hey there,

It sounds like you feel that your parents aren't treating you well and they are staying hurtful things to you. That must be a frustrating situation for you to be in! It's understandable that you would want to leave that situation. However, if you do leave there is a chance that the police could make you go back home. Especially if your parents file a runaway report for you. Also, your friend could get into legal trouble for letting you stay with them as well. We hope you are safe with your decision. If you need any other help please feel free to reach out to us.

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I want to runaway from Home

I'm 14 and i want to run away from home my parents are always mean to me and tell me I'm useless and can't do anything I'm thinking of staying over a friend's house

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Re: Help...

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a brave and strong person to ask for help, and we are glad you emailed us. It can feel very stressful and somewhat isolating when there is conflict with a loved one. You are not alone. We are here to listen and here to help.

You mentioned feeling stressed and almost suicidal. It is very brave of you for sharing that with us. If you are ever feeling like you want to harm yourself, please call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. They can help you work through that difficult time. You can also reach out to www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org . We want you to be safe.

You said you love your dad and you don’t want to run away, so maybe an option would be talking to him about what is making you feel this way. If you feel like you can’t live with him anymore, an option could be talking to your dad about staying with a family member, like your grandparents, or a friend.

Again, we are really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options, which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situations, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us.

Best,
    The National Runaway Safeline

Leave a comment:

Working...
X