Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im 16 and hate living at home if i run away can the police force me to go back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 55 I want to run away from home as I am getting harrest and police won't do anything about it

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, at age 55 you can legally leave your home or move if you need. That sounds really frustrating that police are not helping you when you are being harassed.

If you need any shelter resources or help with rent assistance to afford a new place to stay, you might reach out to the United Way information and referral line by dialing 2-1-1.

We truly wish you the best of luck,

NRS

• hey i am 17 and i will run away to my boyfriend house who is gotta get trouble me or my boyfriend

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. This is a really great question to ask. If you leave home without the permission of your legal guardian(your parents), they can report you as a runaway. Running away is not illegal and it is not a crime. If you do leave though, your parents can potentially have the police return you home. Your boyfriend could be charged with a misdemeanor called harboring a runaway although it is rare. We are not legal experts here at NRS so we cannot give you absolute answers. Your local police department will better be able to give you information about their runaway and harboring protocols. You can call the non-emergency number to ask questions anonymously.

Do not hesitate to reach out any time by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org if you would like to talk more about your situation. We are here 24/7 to listen and help.

Be safe,
      NRS

• Im 16years old I’m not happy at home I feel like my parents hate me they don’t understand I have a bf bc I’m scared to tell them stuff. What happens if they find out I’m not going to school or just staying at my bfs house what happens if they call the police I want to make the right go stay at my bfs house

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that it hasn't been a good time at home right now. You have a right to your feelings and a right to be heard. We are here to support you in whatever way we can.

You ask what might happen if you stay at your boyfriend's house without permission (and also not go to school). One thing your parents might do is file a runaway report with the police. Running away isn't a crime, but it is a status offense like breaking curfew. If your parents know where you are (your boyfriend's house), they can ask the police to visit and you may be taken back to your parent's house. More seriously, anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. As for school, if you are absent long enough it is likely the school will contact your parents.

Those are just some ideas as to what might happen, but we never tell anyone what to do. Perhaps there are some other options available to you that you haven't considered yet? We'd like to help you find out what those options might be. The best way for us to do that is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via our main page: www.1800runaway.org.

We hope to hear from you soon! stay safe!

NRS

• I ran away and i dont know what my dad will do if i go back. Life is miserable at my house. He took my phone which I paid for. I have a job and my dad took $1.6k out of my bank account because he said i had to pay for my braces and i didnt tell him that he could. He hates me and I hate him. He never lets me do anything with my friends or anything. I go to school. But every time i go home I just runaway again.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We appreciate you being able to reach out and be honest about what is going on. It seems like your dad is being really unfair to you and your situation. We are sorry that is happening and that you don’t deserve it. As far as going home it might be a good idea to find an adult and see if they can offer support to you and your situation. Another thing to keep in mind is maybe just calling NRS and we can conference call with you and your dad. In this call you can express what you would like to see and what you want to do moving forward. It can be a good talk because we will be in the conversation and give you the ability to feel heard and like your dad might hear you out better.

If you feel you need to talk further with us please do not hesitate to call or use our chat option online as we don’t normally respond to second emails. Our call option is 1-800-786-2929 and you can find our chat option online at 1800runaway.org (click on the chat option). We hope you are able to find a quick solution to your predicament , NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X