Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im 16 and hate living at home if i run away can the police force me to go back?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i’m 16 and i’m l am currently living with my mom

I have tried many times too go live with my father but my mom keeps disagreeing. Now that i am 16 i want too leave and live with my dad. i’ve been thinking very hard about this and i do need some advice. i’ve read some of the questions and answers of different teens trying too run away and it’s mostly about leaving both parents. but if i run away too my fathers house can the authorities bring me back too my mom ?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry that your situation at home is making you feel like you have to leave and that you are not able to live with your dad. While we are not legal experts, we do have general information about running away. In this case, it seems like it would be more up to how custody of you has been arranged between your two parents. It might be a good idea to reach out to your dad to figure out exactly how your custody is arranged and what options you may have to change it. If you would like to share a little bit more information with us, we may be able to find other options or solutions for you. If you are interested in doing so, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• hey im 16 can u run away from home and move state will the cops try to follow me to the other states like my parents are the worst like they dont let me do stuff like i need out there my brother is the only one that get repect around the house like i feel like a unwanted person and that im dispotment to them bc i cant be smart like them like i need help i need to know if i can run and move state and cop will not fine me

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for your message. It sounds like things at home are very challenging right now. It can be really hurtful when your family doesn’t support or respect you in the way that you need. It also sounds like your family is choosing to focus on what they wish you were like instead of appreciating you for who you are. From your message, it’s clear that you are brave, resourceful, and strong. You are not a disappointment.
      You write that you feel like an unwanted person and a disappointment. That’s a powerful feeling; it must be overwhelming at times. It could be a possibility that your family doesn’t realize how their actions are affecting you. It could be an option to talk to one of your parents about how you’ve been feeling and figure out ways that you can feel more supported. If that doesn’t sound like an option, it could still be a good idea to confide in someone you trust about how you’ve been feeling, like a teacher, guidance counselor, friend, or any other person you trust. While it may not change the situation, it can be relieving to get some of that hurt off your chest.
      You asked if you can run and move to another state without the police pursuing you. We aren’t legal experts here, so we can’t make any guarantees about how your local police would handle your situation. Usually, if a young person runs away from home, their parents can file a runaway report. From there, the police do their best to follow any clues they have about where you might be. If they aren’t able to locate you, they may stop their search. One thing to keep in mind is that if you run into the police or are arrested for something (for example, stealing food), the police may realize that you are a runaway if your parents did file a runaway report. If you do choose to leave, it’s important to think about the following: where you’ll go, how you’ll get there, how you’ll get food, how you’ll make money, etc. Having a plan helps to keep you safe, as many young people find that living on the street with no plan can be scary or unsafe. If you need help thinking of a plan or need help finding resources, please feel free to call us at 1-800-786-2929. We’re happy to help.
      Stay strong and stay safe!
      --NRS

• im a 16 turning 17 in august i ran away and my mom said that i have to come home no matter what if i am safe at someones house can the police take me out of that house

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out. We’re sorry to hear that you’re having difficulties with your parents at home. It sounds like you’ve been dealing with a lot. You do not deserve to be neglected or mistreated by your parents.

In regards to your question, we are not legal experts and cannot give legal advice. That being said, if you choose to run away, your parents may file a runaway report. If this occurs the police may attempt to find you, though they often don’t actively pursue minors who are near 18 years old. If the police know where to find you, they may pursue you and attempt to bring you home. If you are staying with someone, that person can be charged with harboring a runaway. If you go to a different state, it may be more difficult for police to pursue you, and they are probably less likely to do so.

Some things you may want to think about if you’re considering leaving the state are finances, transportation, food, and shelter. It’s good to have a general destination in mind, for instance a family or friend you can plan to stay with for a while. It’s also important to consider how you’ll get to where you’re trying to go. If you don’t have access to a car, think about how you might pay for plane or train tickets, and how you’ll get food along the way. Always consider your own safety. If you do choose to run away and ever need advice or references for shelters to stay at, or just want someone to talk to, you can call us anytime at 1-800-786-2929. We’re here 24/7 and are completely confidential.

Thanks again for reaching out!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X