Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving out of my mom's house to my father's house

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey so my boyfriend, 16, is very unhappy living with his mom, she lives in a bad part of town and is said to be abusive. I'm trying to get him to move into jis dads for full time custody. we live in Florida and I was wondering if he has some sort of say in doing so as well as what the process of it might be like.

Comment

• Hello There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we understand that it can be difficult to reach out and we are so glad you did. It seems like your boyfriend is going through a very difficult time, and it is awesome that you are there to support him through this. You mentioned that his mom seems to be abusive, have you guys considered reporting the abuse? If you guys would like to report the abuse you may call the Child Help Line at: 1800-422-4453. We know that it can sometimes be nerve wrecking to make a report if you would like you can give us a call and we can help you make the report. For him to move into his dads house and for his dad to gain full time custody, they would probably have to go to court or his mother would have to give him permission to live with his dad full time. If you would like to find out more information about the legal aspects you may call Gulf Coast Legal Services at 727-443-0657, they are available Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. Also just so you both are aware Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense, what that means it that if he were to leave home without permission he would not be arrested. His parents would have the right to file a runaway report, which if he is found they would most likely just bring him back home.

We really hope that this information will help you and your boyfriend. We wish you both the best of luck and just know that you both are not alone. If you or him have any more questions or would like to discuss more feel free to give us a call at 1800runaway, we are here 24/7. Best of Luck!

NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• i want to move in with my dad but i know my mom wont let me but im 16

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you live with your mom but are wanting to stay with your dad. That can be a pretty tricky situation when you are still a minor. The easiest way for you to move into your dad’s place would be with your mom’s permission. You might consider talking to your mom about your desire to live with your dad and why you think it might be beneficial. If you need help having that conversation, you might consider asking a guidance counselor, therapist, or other adult that you trust to help you have a conversation. Here at NRS, we also offer conflict mediation through conference calling so that is also an option. It is also possible that if your dad and mom have joint custody, you would be able to stay with your dad even with mom objecting. However, we are not legal experts and there are so many different outcomes based on your parents’ legal arrangement that we cannot give just one distinct answer. We encourage you to reach out to a lawyer or to give us a call at 1800-786-2929 if you’d like to talk more specifically about your situation.
          Take care,
          NRS

• My parents were divorced when I was 6. I'm 11 now and I've been living with my mom for about 5 years now. I want to move in with my dad, but I'm not sure how to tell my mom. I know it sounds like I'm making a big deal out of it (which I am), but I don't want to live with the embarrassment or shame that my mom will give me if I do move in with my dad. Why I want to move out is that she constantly calls me curse words, tells me that I don't deserve anything, and that I'm annoying, lazy, selfish, dumb, etc. What I'm listing sounds stupid, I know, but I'm too mentally unstable to go through this longer than what I've already have. She doesn't let me go out with friends for sleepovers and such, and I guess that interfered with my social skills. I'm probably just making excuses for something that was already there but...Anyways, this is probably what most children already go through with their parents so the way I'm describing my "situation" is making me sound dramatic and bratty. Anyways, all I want to do is just move in with my dad without receiving shame, embarrassment, pity, etc.

Comment

• ccsmod11
          ccsmod11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now with your mom - the way she speaks to you sounds extremely hurtful, and no one deserves to be hurt. The situation and your feelings are very real and very valid, please know that we are here to listen and here to help.

You mentioned wanting to live with your dad and not knowing how to tell your mom. Sometimes people feel more prepared to talk to someone about a difficult subject after writing down their thoughts and what they would like to say. Also, we here at NRS provide conference calls, which in your case would consist of you calling us and then we would call your mom. In doing this, we would be on the phone as a support and help mediate the conversation - helping both parties better articulate their thoughts and feelings. If interested in the conference call, or to speak further about your situation please call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us via www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. Best, NRS

• Moving from my mums to my dads
        hi im 14 turning 15 and i despreatley want to Live with my dad . My mum constantley shouting and making me do practically all the house work with little to no breaks inbetween and is conastantly leaving me stressed shes also Always going out at night leaving me with my 3 younger siblings with the Youngest at 4 years old for more than 2 hours and Expectss the house to be completely clean so im constantley stressed and i have my Mock GCSEs coming up and i never get and Space or quiet to revise leaving i get bad scores and when she finde out she scts All suprised.And she hardley lets me see by dad for long.iv discussed moving with my dad and he and my gradparets Are All for it but i know that sitting down and talking to my mother just wont work cause the only Thing she cares about is herself and money

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having a difficult time at home with your mom. You deserve to feel safe and happy at home. It also sounds like you have a really good relationship with your dad.

An option you have is to talk to a school counselor or the police with hypothetical, anonymous questions, if you feel safe doing so. They may be able to provide you with options or information about custody that is unique to your region. Also, you mentioned not wanting to ask your mom if you could live with your dad. One option to consider is asking if you could, instead of living with him, see him or contact him more often.

Of course, feel free to call us anytime as we are toll-free, confidential, and 24/7.
          Good luck,
          NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X