No announcement yet.

Running away- what happens to my accounts.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running away- what happens to my accounts.

    I am 20, still living at home with my family. I want to get out of the family situation, they don't really want me here but are not willing to just let me leave either, even if I do have a way out. I have no job but looking for one, just can't find one that fits my qualifications in this area and will accept me. My girlfriend has offered to let me stay with her until we can figure out something else. My parents have insisted on having control on my bank accounts and stuff like that since they were made. What happens when I leave? If I runaway is there anyway they can sabotage the bank account I have as a joint kid-parent account and they won't let me have the password to? Is there a way to get that put back into just my control before I leave or cancel it if I can prove who I am? Will I be able to get my social security card and/or birth certificate without going through them since there is a very small chance they would give it to me if I runaway? I still have my drivers license as a ID and my college card if I need it. I do realize though I need the birth certificate and social security card as well though to be able to get into a job and/or other schools and it gives them too much leverage if it is with them in case they turn on me and decided to ruin my life that way.

  • #2
    re: Running away- what happens to my accounts.


    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about the way things are going between you and your family. In most states, 18 is the age of majority. The age of majority signifies the age you are recognized as an adult by that state. Generally speaking, you are no longer considered or can be reported as a runaway once you reach the age of 18 in most states. It is really hard for us to provide an answer as to what will happen to your bank accounts. Have you tried contacting the banks where the accounts are to get that type of information? The banks should be able to provide you with an answer to those questions. To determine what you will need to get a copy of your social security, you can go to the Social Security Administration website ( or call 1-800-772-1213. To determine what you will need to get a copy of your birth certificate, you can go VitalChek ( to try and order online or contact the county’s office of records in the county where you were born.

    We hope the information provided helps.

    Good Luck
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp