No announcement yet.

I need some advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need some advice

    I am 15 and I live in Florida. My living situation at home is very hostile and unfair. My mother has me in a lot of trouble with her over things that I never even did. I am not allowed to leave my house ever or talk to anyone, which is not an exaggeration. I am not allowed to talk to friends by any means of communication or ever see them. I'm also enrolled in online school so this is completely true. My mother is mentally unstable, she's able to work and keep a roof over my head but her parenting is off. It is getting to a point now where I really do not believe I will be able to continue living with her. She is constantly threatening to place me in the hospital or a rehab center even though I have no reason to go to one.

    I have asked friends and their parents already and I know that if I leave I will have a place to stay. I am in 10th grade and the school year is almost over. How can I leave my house to live elsewhere without her contacting police and forcing my return (if they can locate me) and then her sending me to a hospital? I simply wish to live outside of my current home but keep some sort of contact with her letting her know I am safe and then once a few months have past try to discuss things with her and either decide on a way I can live out of my home and have her still enroll me in school or I can return home but have her change the way she treats me. Talking to her now is not an option, she doesn't listen and no I am not allowed to live with family, I have already tried to ask

    Hello and thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. I seems like your relationship with your mom is very difficult and that you feel as though she is treating you unfairly and not allowing you freedoms such as going places or seeing other people. You mentioned that you want to leave and stay outside of the home because of the threats she is making, among other issues. While we are not legal experts, we can tell you that running away in most places is considered a status offense which means that if she were to file a runaway report, you would be returned to her if you were found. Just so you know, if you were to stay with a friend without your mom’s permission, your friend’s parents may be putting themselves at legal risk for harboring a runaway.

    You mentioned that talking to your mom and living with family is not an option. If you have more legal questions or would like to talk about some other housing options that might be available to you, you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours a day or chat with us from 4:30-11:30pm CST and we can talk more about your situation and connect you to legal aid.

    Best wishes,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp