No announcement yet.

Can I run away and still go to school?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    My granddaughter goes to school, online in Tulsa Oklahoma. She recently had a run in with her dad and fled to her grandparents in Missouri. Can the school in Tulsa stop sending her homework and expel her?.


    • ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but if she is doing online school they most likely could still send her the homework. Some schools do require youth to be residing in the state that they are enrolled in. To find out the best answer it would be best to call the school district and talk to them about the situation.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are available 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!

  • #62
    Muy dad is abusie so can I run away and still go to school


    • ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,

  • #63
    Hi when I turn 16 in plan on running away to California with friend in the same situation as me (emotionally abusive house hold) and we have a stable plan to get there and live there but I want us to continue schooling so is there a way I could enroll the both of us in high school without getting caught as run aways.


    • ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there!

      Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. We're sorry to hear that you're having problems at home that are causing you to want to runaway--that sounds like a really tough spot to be in.

      Running away is a big move, and it's generally a good idea to spend some time thinking through a plan before making that decision. Consider where you'll go, how you'll get there, and what you'll do to survive once there. Going to school is definitely still a possibility thanks to the McKinney-Vento Act, which allows homeless children and unaccompanied youth to register for school without providing most of the normal information they'd usually have to provide to enroll, or a parent to enroll them, and they can start school immediately. That said, enrolling in school shouldn't necessarily get you caught in itself. School officials should only contact Child Protective Services if there are suspicions of abuse, and being without a parent or guardian is generally not considered grounds for an abuse report based on neglect. It's possible that you might get caught if your parents were to file a missing persons report, which is certainly something to be aware of.

      If you have any other questions or would like to chat in more detail about your situation, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY, or by chatting with us live at We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

      Take care.

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove