No announcement yet.

Can I run away and still go to school?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My granddaughter goes to school, online in Tulsa Oklahoma. She recently had a run in with her dad and fled to her grandparents in Missouri. Can the school in Tulsa stop sending her homework and expel her?.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but if she is doing online school they most likely could still send her the homework. Some schools do require youth to be residing in the state that they are enrolled in. To find out the best answer it would be best to call the school district and talk to them about the situation.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are available 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
      NRS

Muy dad is abusie so can I run away and still go to school

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Hi when I turn 16 in plan on running away to California with friend in the same situation as me (emotionally abusive house hold) and we have a stable plan to get there and live there but I want us to continue schooling so is there a way I could enroll the both of us in high school without getting caught as run aways.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. We're sorry to hear that you're having problems at home that are causing you to want to runaway--that sounds like a really tough spot to be in.

Running away is a big move, and it's generally a good idea to spend some time thinking through a plan before making that decision. Consider where you'll go, how you'll get there, and what you'll do to survive once there. Going to school is definitely still a possibility thanks to the McKinney-Vento Act, which allows homeless children and unaccompanied youth to register for school without providing most of the normal information they'd usually have to provide to enroll, or a parent to enroll them, and they can start school immediately. That said, enrolling in school shouldn't necessarily get you caught in itself. School officials should only contact Child Protective Services if there are suspicions of abuse, and being without a parent or guardian is generally not considered grounds for an abuse report based on neglect. It's possible that you might get caught if your parents were to file a missing persons report, which is certainly something to be aware of.

If you have any other questions or would like to chat in more detail about your situation, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY, or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

hi, I'm not a runaway yet but I feel like I'm running out of options. I'm 14 and my parents were never married and my mom just got a divorce with my step father because he was threatening her and she was horrible to him. My mom is always sick and has been neglecting me, she pulled me out of school for my entire 8th grade year and when I ask her to get my a tutor or anything to help me with school she brushes me off or screams at me for asking. My mom is bipolar, has PTSD, and depression. We don't have a lot of money right now either because my mom doesn't work. My mom takes everything out on me she says I'm to critical and gaslights me and will scream at me until I break down. I have started to self harm and have painic attacks because of it. My house is always dirty and sometimes I don't have food and I'm too scared to ask my mom to get food because she might yell at me. My biological father isn't much better, he's very dirty and can get scary. He makes me feel unsafe because he threatens violence and force against me. My step father was even more violent and made sexual remarks to me and was extremely homophobic to me.I know I can probably just wait it out but I feel like dying or running away is better.... I'm so lost and I have been suicidal for awhile now.. I just want a different family..i want to run away but school is important to me and I'm not even in school right now because of my mother.
    Last edited by ccsmod16; 07-05-2021, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      We are glad you found us and have reached out, it is very brave to do so. It sounds like things are really hard at home and that they have been for a long time. It's understandable to feel like running away and thinking about school if you left. The short answer is yes, under federal law a homeless student does have the right to an education. you can call the National Homeless Education Helpline to help you enroll yourself in school. Their number is 1-800-308-2145
      But it sounds like you would have to think of a place to go, maybe a friend or family member can help you. We hope that you will call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us through this website to help you discover your options. Or maybe another option is to file an abuse report with your state's child protection agency. We can help you do that, or you can call www.childhelp.org at 1-800-422-4453
      You don't deserve to be treated this way and we truly hope to hear from you soon so we can talk it over.
      Sincerely,
      NRS

I'm 15 years old and trying to run away from a toxic household i am treated badly everyday and I'm depressed, i tried to tell my parents about it but they never listen. A couple of days ago i talked to them about it, this is how i knew they don't care about me, they took my phone, my Dad went through my phone trying to find something i had nothing to hide my parents are just so toxic and think they know everything, about 2 weeks ago i was suicidal i still am but 2 weeks ago was worse i took 3 whole packs of ibuprofen my dad saw it in my mouth and then made me spit it out my mum said ''you should've let her take it'' it's so upsetting to see other children bond with their parents because i don't have a relationship with mine, anytime i talk to them about it they just blame it on me saying i never come to the living room all kinds of ******** and it is so annoying i just need to get out the beating the trauma its is too much for me i.m only 15 15 years old and i already feel like killing myself cause of this because of them, right now i'm using my laptop to type cause they took my phone i need a place to stay i live in London UK please help me I'm not sure if i.ve got long left.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS. The behavior you’re describing from your parents sounds like abuse, and that is never ok. Abuse can take a heavy toll on anyone’s mental health, and It’s completely understandable that you’d be looking for a way out of this situation. It shows how strong you are that you have gone through so much and you are still reaching out for help.

The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States, so our knowledge of community resources (like youth shelters and counseling services) and our understanding of laws related to youth in crisis is limited to the U.S. If Since you are in the U.K., a crisis line that might be able to help you find resources is called Childline: https://www.childline.org.uk/ You also mentioned struggling with suicidal thoughts -- no one deserves to suffer alone. Another resource that might be helpful is the UK National Suicide Prevention Line UK: https://www.spbristol.org/nsphuk or the SHOUT crisis text line: https://www.giveusashout.org/ If you ever feel like you are in danger of acting on those thoughts, please call emergency services.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Be safe and good luck,

NRS

I need some to talk to can y’all help me?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Yes, please call our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via the chat feature on our website: www.1800runaway.org. When you call or chat with us we can talk about what's going on, share any resources that may be helpful, and help you figure out what your best options are. We hope to hear from you soon!

Stay safe,
      NRS

If I run away at 16, have a safe place to stay and go to school can they physically do anything.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! Thank you for reaching out to the NRS!

It's good that you had the initiative to reach out to us for advice before taking action. While we aren't legal experts here at NRS, because you are still a minor at 16, it is within your parents' rights to file a missing persons report if you go off the radar. This means that the police will be obligated to pick you up and release you back into their custody. It is also possible that if you stay with another adult that they will be in legal trouble for harboring you. That said, if you are still committed to running away, there are a number of other considerations outside of where you are staying or whether you can make it to school. For example, how do you plan on supporting yourself financially once you leave home? What happens when you need money to buy food, new clothes, or school supplies? In these sorts of situations, it's important to consider all the variables that come with a big decision. One way to best flesh out one of these situations is once again talking to a trusted person about what you're feeling and what you are planning to do.

If you have more questions or just want to talk about your situation more with one of our representatives, feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X