•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi! I’m basically feeling everything everyone else is feeling and id like to leave home within the next month. I’m 17 years old and turn 18 in 8+ months. However, I’m in foster care.... will I be punished if I return ? or get caught.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    Just so that you know we are not legal experts and only can provide some general legal information when it comes to someone running away or someone assisting/aiding a person running away.
    Someone under 18 that leaves home, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police.

You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.
    If you would like to talk more in detail we are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I want to runaway, I am 17 and can support myself from my job. I have a safe place to go and am already graduated. I turn 18 in 9 months but my house has gotten so draining I can’t stay. I was wondering what my parents can do. Will they have police search for me, track my social medias etc.? I live in Santa Barbara County, CA.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,

Guest replied
    I am 3 months &’ 3 weeks from being 18 years old. I love in California. I live at home with my stepdad and siblings and I’m being treated unfairly although they don’t think I am. If I was to leave the house what would be the consequences?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you are not getting along with your parents to the point where you feel like you need to leave. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is not illegal to run away from home. You will not be arrested or charged with anything for it. Your parents can try to file a runaway report, which typically allows the police to bring a youth back home if they encounter them. However, being so close to 18 and being in California, there is a chance that the police do not pursue the report or that they let you remain where you are. If you want to talk more about your situation and see what other options you might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 11weeks from being 18. I need to leave my house and move to my boyfriends. I feel as if I am treated unfairly but they don’t. I am wondering can I be charged of any crimes or be taken back home if I do leave? I live in California. I have a job and I have already graduated high school.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello, thanks for posting! It sounds like you may be going through a lot at home right now and are looking for some options.
    We are not legal experts, but generally speaking, 18 is the age you can leave home in most states, including CA. Leaving before age 18, your parents may be able to file a runaway report, letting the police know you are gone. Some police departments do not accept reports for those closer to 18, as long as they are known to be somewhere safe. But this varies A LOT from police department to police department.
    One option you have is to call your local non-emergency number and ask anonymously how they handle running away at age 17 or 17 1/2. You can find your local number at usacops.com.
    We also offer conference calling so if you would like some support in making this call, feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929. We are here 24/7 to help, though most police departments only have somewhere answering the non-emergency number during business hours.

We are here to talk and listen, no matter what you decide. If you would like to discuss options for leaving, places to stay, etc, or ways to improve your situation at home, give us a call or live chat with us through the link at the top of this page.

Thanks again for posting! It takes a lot of strength to reach out for support!

Best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm Almsot going to be 17 1/2 , I live in anaheim . If I leave my house once I'm 17 and 5 months, will I be forced to go home ???

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    replied
    re: 17 1/2 runaway in California laws ??

Hello

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. Generally speaking, anyone under the age of 18 can be reported as a runaway; how much this is enforced can vary by county or city. Since you are 17 and 5 months away from your 18th birthday, the police may or may not take a report. The law does vary from region to region and so does the degree that is enforced. It may be best to contact the non emergency hotline for the police department in San Bernardino County to determine if they would take a runaway report for a 17 ½ year old. Remember that even though a runaway report may be accepted, the police don’t generally actively search for runaways. We hope the information provided helps. If you have any other questions or would like for us to conference call resources, you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

~NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic 17 1/2 runaway in California laws ??

17 1/2 runaway in California laws ??

My brother ranaway at 16 in San Jose he went to Corning California. My dad said when he called the cops to report it once they found out his age they told him that anyone over 16 they cannot make them go home unless they're at risk, even if they know where the kid is at. They told my dad that this is law in the whole state. I'm 17 1/2 and I plan on moving out in the next couple weeks. I don't want to be charged as a runaway, and I don't want to be forced to go home. I will be 18 in 5 months and I understand that I'm still a minor however I'm graduated from high school and I have a place to go. If I tell them where I am going I don't want to get the people in trouble, and I don't want to be forced to go home so I'm asking if this law is true for San Bernardino County as well. Thanks. p.s. they never made my brother go home and they knew where he was too.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X