X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod7
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello there, thank you so much for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear about your situation, it is understandable that you would want to live with your dad. Sometimes it can be hard to bring up touchy subjects to parents. What you’re going through is tough since you are thoughtful towards the feelings of your friends and others in your life. We want to provide support to you in any way that we can.

In terms of you wondering how to tell your mom that you want to go live with your dad, we may have some ideas that could help. Although it is not illegal to run away, it is possible that your dad could get in trouble if he doesn’t have any custody over you and if your mom is not okay with it and decided to file a police report. If she did file a police report, the police could force you to return home and your father could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway, which are just some things to consider. Have you considered maybe writing a letter for your mom to read? Sometimes letters can be helpful for expressing your thoughts and feelings in a soft way. We would also like to mention that we offer conference calls here at NRS, which are basically three-way-calls that can allow you to speak to your mom over the phone with someone in the middle of the call to make sure the conversation stays on track and respectful. Our number here at NRS is 1-800-786-2929, and we are available to talk or chat 24/7. You mentioned that you have tried to run away before, which is totally understandable. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you are thinking about running away or have already runaway, please feel free to call us if you need to devise a plan, find shelters in your area or other resources, or if you just want to talk and need some support or guidance. We are completely confidential here at National Runaway Safeline, so anything you tell us may be kept private.

Again, we’re really glad that you decided to reach out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. Although we are not legal experts here at NRS, if you would like to talk further about your situation or if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us.

We’re here to listen, here to help.

-NRS

Guest replied
    Hi my name is amikayla and I'm ten years old I really hate my mom and stepfather I want to go live with my dad he treats me like royalty how can I tell my mom I wanna go live with my dad? She knows I'm always sad because I never see my dad and the way she treats me, she always pays attention to my two brothers and my stepdad it's not fair I guess she thinks it's fair, I always try to runaway but I always think how it will effect my life and my besties feelings also my crush I always wish will my misery will end and can I die already I just wanna be with my DAD

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. It also sounds like past family members have also been harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. Through this organization you might be able to stay with your dad since there is physical abuse.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i want to live with my dad but i cant tell my mother because if i even say something about him she gets mad.my mother is crazy. when i say crazy i mean crazy she left me at my aunts house for two weeks and i was about seven or eight. i dont know why. when my sister and brother used to live with her she used to hit them and i feel that she might do the same to me. she has hit me before, i just feel unsafe with her. i called my dad last night and he said that we will do somnething but he also said that when he asks me if my mother treats me well i say yes because if i do say something i feel like i might die.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You might consider speaking with your dad about your situation as any circumstances that puts you at risk might be more of a legal issue about custody in regards to where you would be safest.

You did a very brave thing by reaching out today. Good for you.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk or in danger, please reach out to emergency services by contacting 9-1-1

Be safe and take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Can I run to my dad if I see my mum is not nice and is dangerous

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,
    Thanks so much for reaching out! We want to do what we can to help. It sounds like you have been having a tough time with your step mom. Sorry that you have had to deal with that. You do not deserve to be treated that way.

Maybe you can try talking to someone else about what is going on at home like a trusted teacher or school counselor. Sometimes having a safe place to talk can help you feel better about the situation and come up with a plan. You can also try to talk just with your dad when your step mom is not around. Please reach out again if you have any other questions or we can help in other way. We are here 24/7 to listen and help. You can call us at 800-786-2929, email us at [email protected] or chat us on www.1800RUNAWAY.org .

Best of luck!

Guest replied
    Hi..So im 15 and in a tough situtation... My dad and stepmom have custody of me and have for 15 years but recently me and my stepmom have been getting in servier arguemet, threatens me, manipulates me, doesnt let me talk my problems out to any one (Im secretly reaching out to me), if she ever found out she would not like hit me but embarress me to the point of crying by going up to my school and making a big deal about stuff or other way. She wont let me express my feelings. Like the other night I tried to talk to her and my dad about how I feel me and her relationship is and it was nice at te end but after it she treats me terrible

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hello,

You did the right thing by reaching out. Living with a toxic parent is very hard, especially with one you don’t feel completely safe around.
    From your post, it seems like you spend time both at your dad’s and at your mom’s. And that they live apart, is that correct?
    While you can’t legally leave home and be on your own, there are some things you or your mom may be able to do if you’d prefer she have full custody, so you wouldn’t have to spend time at your father’s house—if that’s the case.

Please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at 1800runaway.org so we can clarify your situation. We can help you explore further what’s going on and provide some options that may be able to help.

We’re here 24/7, ready to listen and ready to help.
    And we wish you the best!
    -NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 15 years old. My dad was very toxic when I was younger. Exposing me to people who were on pills and drugs and even doing them himself. He is doing better now but I don’t want to spend the night with him. I’ve tried everything to explain to him I don’t want to spend the night I feel uncomfortable and he still doesn’t give me a choice. My mom just tries her best to work with my dad. He isn’t on my birth certificate he never signed it. Is there anything I can do In this situation? It’s so bad that every time I have to spend the night I contemplate calling a friend to come get me and take me back to my house whenever he goes to sleep.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We wish you the best of luck! If you have any more questions please give us a call. We are here for you 24/7.
    NRS

Guest replied
    im adopted and i want to do the same but to my mom house

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your dad’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your dad. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    I want to live with my mom but my dad says I can’t make that choice because I’m sill a minor. But I’m 16 and have a better relationship with her. I’ve told him over and over how unhappy I am living with him and I have more support and friends where my mom lives but he says keeping me with him will make me successful. I really just think he’s being selfish because he lies to me about the court order and emotionally abuses me making me question who I am as a person. I’ve thought about running away but since Ive gotten back from summer vacation at my moms but, he’s taken my phone and makeup, has deleted all my social media accounts permanently and taken me out of public school so he can watch me all the time. I just miss my mom so much and I know she’s a good person but he’s always doubting her and I’m tired of hearing about it and I’m tired of him treating me like a little kid. I’ve never felt so alone and depressed than right now, my life was good before he took me from my mom and never sent me back home. I’ve been seeing what I can do legally so get out faster but I don’t know what to do and my mom doesn’t have money for another custody battle right now.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello,
    Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re in an intense situation and you’re concerned for your safety and well-being. It’s not easy to reach out for help when you’re feeling this way, we’re glad you did.

It sounds like an abuse report has already been filed since there is an open investigation on your dad. If you feel you are in danger, you have the option of calling 911. You mentioned that you are with your mother right now, but she is returning you to your dad. This must be frustrating for you, but if you feel unsafe you can let that be known to authorities. As you are 17, in most states you’re considered a minor. You could run away, but in most cases you’ll be returned home to your legal guardian. If that person is your dad, that is who you’ll be returned to. If your mother shares custody, you could possibly be approved to stay with her. We don’t give legal advice here at NRS, but we can connect you with resources specifically in your area. You can also call your non-emergency police line in your area.

If you are considering ending your life, you can reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. If you would like to discuss legal options in your area, or some possible shelter options if you decide to run away, reach out to us here at 1-800-786-2929. You don’t have to go through this alone. We also have a chat option on our website, www.1800runaway.org. We are here 24/7, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Best,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X