•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,
    Thank you ever so much for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that the situation at home with your mom has gotten so difficult. It sounds like you’re uncertain of what you should do, and, while we cannot tell you what to do, we will do our best to propose options that will help you stay safe.

It sounds like you’ve been really frustrated at home, and it’s led you to contemplate whether to hurt yourself or leave. Please know that there are agencies, like ours, that hope to help you stay as safe as possible. If you feel that you will hurt yourself, we hope that you will call 9-1-1. You’ve mentioned feeling embarrassed, manipulated, and frustrated, and all of these thoughts can get really overwhelming. When you’re feeling stressed and contemplating hurting yourself, we hope that you will consider contacting someone like the Suicide Prevention Lifeline by phone at 1.800.273.TALK (8255) or by visiting them at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ . Know that we are all here to listen if you need someone to talk to. If you’re contemplating whether running away is the right choice for you, we hope that you consider how long you’d be gone, where you’d live, and how you would support yourself, and how you’d keep yourself safe while away from your mom. In your message, you discuss wanting to be with your dad, and perhaps this is something you can discuss with him. It’s unclear in your message whether there is a custody arrangement in place between your parents, but it may help to talk to your mom and/or your dad to find out what that arrangement is and, if possible, whether you would be able to live with your dad.

Whatever you decide, please know that we are here to support you. It can be truly frustrating to live with someone when you feel you’ve been manipulated and unheard, and we are always here for you. Our goal is to help you stay as safe as possible regardless of what you decide to do, and we look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to give us a call at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) or send us a chat by visiting our website at https://www.1800runaway.org/ . We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS

Guest replied
    in tried of live my mom is manipulative and she embarrass me in front of my friends takes my phone for talking to my bestie she lied and cut my dad's tire with the knife and i just wanna be with my dad its soo much to type but should i run away or end my life

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are considering running away to your mother’s house with your brother but are not sure what might happen if the police get involved. It seems they have joint custody. While we appreciate your situation we are not legal experts. You might consider speaking with your mother about your plans and asking about the custody agreement specifically about if she would have the right to let you stay with her during your father’s time with you.

If you would like to speak more and give more detail about the situation, we want you to know that we are here to listen and support you during this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. To let us know how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 and my brother is 13 years old what are our legal rights if we run away from our dad's house to our moms they have joint custody but my dad has an extra day what can I say to the police if they tried to take me back to my dad's and I refused is there a law or do I have any rights my brother and I

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So my mum moved far away from my dad (fleeing domestic violence because of my brother) when I was around 11 I am now 13 and I am still struggling to make friends. I want To live with my dad for a better life as I am feeling down. Can someone please help me I don’t know what to do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. You don't deserve to be abused in any kind of way and it's not right for your mom and step dad to treat you like that.

It may be beneficial to speak with your dad directly about your desire to live with him full time. Sometimes custody transfers will need to go through the family court system and it may be beneficial to speak with a legal advocate. If you need help locating a legal aid group near you you can check out https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    my mother and stepfather are very emotionally abusive, my mom and dad were never married so my mom has custody but I'm leaving for my dad's soon, we havent told my mom but if she keeps me from him I dont know what to do I'm terrified shes going to hate me or hurt me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation. We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally on this. In most cases, if you leave home without permission, your legal guardian can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal or something you could be arrested for. Your mom can ask for police to get involved to bring you back home to her.

Now your situation does sound very different. What you are able to do and what could happen can depend on a few factors including who has legal custody of you and if your mom would give permission for you to stay with dad. Because we do not know the details of your situation we can not say for sure what would happen in your circumstances. Police may get involved, but they also might not because it is an issue your parents need to dispute in court.

You mentioned that your mom is abusive and has kicked you out . This is not okay and you deserve to have a safe place to stay. If you would like to talk more about your situation in depth to explore your possible options, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at 1-800-786-2929 or through our live chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Stay safe and good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My mom and dad are still married, separated for 13 years. My mom has become abusive, I am now seeing the truth about my mom and her keeping me from my dad. My dad has bought a plane ticket for me to go live with him because my mom kicked me out. Can I get on that plane behind her back?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
    Wow it seems like you are in an unsafe situation at home, and your safety is the top concern. If you are in immediate danger, please call 911. You do not deserve to be abused you can report this by calling Child Help at: 1800-422-4453.
    If you were to run away and tell the police everything, they may do an investigation. If you would like to explore options with us or need additional resources, please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey so I live with my step dad and mom my step dad is very abusive he smashed my head through a wall and they didn’t take me to hospital I am going to runaway from this place idc if she calls the cops cuz i will tell them everything

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you're going through a tough time at your dad's house. We're sorry about that. Keep in mind that we aren't legal experts, but we can answer your question to the best of our knowledge.

If your dad has custody rights over you, you would need permission to leave home, even if it was to visit or live with your mom. If you leave home without permission your dad could file a runaway report on you and anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. If a runaway report is filed, you would likely be taken back home by the police.

We'd like to help further but really would need to know more details about your situation to see how we can assist. The best way for us to do that is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via the portal at www.1800runaway.org. We are here 24/7 and are a confidential, safe place to talk about things. We hope to hear from you soon!

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’d like to leave my dad’s house and go live with my mom, but I don’t want the cops to be called on me once I leave. Can I legally have my mom come pick me up ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom even if she has said no in the past. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Since your dad is willing to allow you to move in with him, you can ask him to hire a lawyer and look into arranging a custody agreement with your mom.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X