Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I legally runaway to my dad's?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I runaway to live with my dad because it’s to the point where I’m just depressed because my mom is treating my siblings better than me and blaming everything on me just the other night she lost her phone because she was drunk and beat me busted my lip slammed me into the ground and then my hair is really long to my but so she yanked it then cut my hair off now its uneven and I have bald spots in some spots I ran away that night but came back in like 4 hours then when I did arrive back she yell again and threaten to beat me for no reason when she had found her phone later that night when I was gone. And she’s till does it to me now I think she takes her pain out on me. But I just can’t live with her anymore. Where can I go?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 11-30-2018, 02:38 AM.

Comment

• Reply: Can I runaway to live with my dad

Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

It sounds like you are going through a terrible situation at home.
      You don’t deserve to be abused by your mom, her actions are not your fault.
      It is not right that you have to suffer for things that she might be going through.
      Your safety is important. It sounds like you are thinking about going to your father for help.
      Perhaps you might talk with him and try to explain what’s going on.
      There are laws to protect you from child abuse. You or your father have the option of filing an abuse report with child protective services.
      It might be helpful to photograph any bruises or injuries.

We understand if there is some hesitation to do this. It’s not an easy decision to make. On the other hand your safety is important.
      If you feel at risk or in danger going to your father's sounds like an idea you have thought of as a first option.

Talking with a teacher or counselor at your school and asking for help might be another to consider. A teacher or social worker at the school can also assist with filing an abuse report.
      To file an abuse report you can contact Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org this is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
      NRS can try to assist you with locating a safe place or emergency shelter in your area. You can contact us at 1-800 –Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org for help and support.

You are very brave to have reached out today. Good job.
      Please remember that if you are at risk or in any danger we urge you to dial 9-1-1 for immediate help.

Be safe,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• My husband and I have custody of a 14 year old that already runaway with the biological mother. the mother introduce drugs and boyfriend to her. our daughter said she is not happy with us but we are afraid that if we let her go with her mom she is going to turn worse with drugs. we are trying therapy but I guess its not working. our daughter is already influencing with our younger daughter and we don't know what to do. we are trying to find a boarding school for her but we don't have the money. any suggestions.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          Thank you for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that things have been so challenging for your family. It sounds like your daughter feels that she would prefer to live with her biological mother, and you and your husband are concerned that your daughter might be at risk of using drugs if she goes to her biological mother. We can definitely go over options that might be available to you, and we encourage you to reach out to us by phone or chat if you’d like more information.

You’ve asked about the best way to approach your situation, as well as whether there are boarding schools where you might be able to send your daughter. In your message, you brought up trying therapy with your daughter, but it doesn’t seem to be working. If you feel comfortable with it, you can always ask the therapist if they can refer you to a residential school options in your area. Unfortunately, boarding schools can be pricey, and you may have to ask about whether they can use a sliding scale fee, or if there’s a way to offset the cost. Another option might be to explore whether your state has any residential services available, as well as whether your state offers child/minor in need of supervision programs that might help you access local resources, which may include residential programs.

We are so sorry to hear that your family is having such a tough time. Please know that we are here to support you & your family. If you would like help identifying resources in your area, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We are available every day, 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786.2929), every day via chat as well. We wish you the very best of luck. Stay safe!

• Can i actually get away from my moms house to live with my dad but im only 17

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          Thank you for your question. We aren’t legal experts here, but we can give some general information. The short answer is, yes, you can live with your dad if you have your mom’s permission or if your dad has custody of you. The long answer is that issues of custody can be complicated and you may be returned home if your dad is unable to produce court paperwork proving that you’re supposed to be there. For more information, you might want to call your local police and ask or talk to a lawyer.
          Feel free to reach out by phone if you have any questions, need resources, or want to talk more specifically about your situation. We’re here 24/7 to listen and to help at 1-800-786-2929.
          Sincerely,
          NRS

• help!

My mom is a horrible mother, always critisizes me, puts me down, and puts my brothers before me always. I feel trapped, i can't live here anymore. My mom and dad are split up but not divorced, my mom doesn't have full custody of me so if i just refused to come back to my mom's house and stayed at my dad's house, would she be able to do anything about it? Like could me or my dad get in any legal trouble? Please reply, i can not take this anymore.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          We hope to hear from you soon.
          Be safe, NRS

• Me and my mom don't get along and it's gotten to the point where she slaps me and pulls my hair and the cops are called all the time and I ran away to my dad's and she knows that I'm here and I had ran away and the cops had came to my dad's house and they said that I had to court can I stay there while my dad goes to court or can my mom get my dad for kidnapping

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello, thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time. It sounds like your mom is being physically abusive and you have left her to stay with your dads. Although we are not legal experts, it’s technically not against the law for you to have run away from your mom’s house. In most places it’s considered a ‘status offense’. However, you are correct that anyone you would be staying with could be in trouble for ‘harboring a runaway’ if your mom decided to press charges against your dad. It sounds like the police already arrived and have decided that your parents need to go to court to figure it out. Usually it means amending the custody arrangement. You can help your dad if you can show the courts that it is safer to be with your father. This could involve reporting her abuse to you. Child Help at 1-800-246-7743 can help you start this process. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we want you to be safe, please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or contact us via chat at https://www.1800runaway.org/. Stay safe and good luck.

• can i legially go live with my dad in texas when i live in alamaba and havent seen him in 4 years because my mom took me away from him can i legially run away to my dads

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a tricky situation being away from your dad for the last 4 years and wanting to run back to him. Here at NRS, we truly want to support you and inform you during this difficult time.

We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally. If your dad still has some custody rights over you, you might be able to legally move in with him. If you haven't already, you might reach out your dad to see if you can stay with him, and if needed, would he be okay for going to court for more custody rights. Generally, when youth run from custodial parent to another custodial parent, police may see that as a civil issues for the courts and not a runaway issue.

If your dad has no custody rights and you are 18 or younger in Alabama and you leave, your mom might be able to file you as a runaway with local police. Generally if you are found by police, you would be returned home or detained until your mom can come get you.

We hope this information was helpful. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us if you have more questions or if you would like to talk through your situation We are here 24/7 to listen and help.

Best,

NRS

• Can I stop going to my moms...

My parents have shared custody that was established a couple years ago over a custody battle. I am at my dad’s most of the time with being there every day of the week except Tuesday’s and alternating weekends during the school year. In the summer my parents alternate whole weeks at a time. I am 16 and me and my mom get in arguments all the time and i don’t get along with my siblings over there either. I have told her countless times that I don’t want to come here anymore and that I’m not happy over here and she will say that she doesn’t care either, but when it comes down to it she will go against my wishes to go to my dads and make me come to her house. I’m just tired of it and just wanna be happy but she just keeps forcing me to come over here where all we do is fight we’ve done counciling twice and it doesn’t work, she’s told me countless times that she’s given up on me and doesn’t know where she’s went wrong with me. I’m just done so is it okay that I go to my dads? Will she be justified to call the cops if i just leave? Because I don’t want something dumb like that on my record to affect me in the future. I am also starting a part-time job to go along with school, if that helps in any way.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,

Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
          It sounds like you are having a tough time at your moms and you both are having trouble getting along. You mentioned that your mom has custody of you on Tuesdays and alternating weekends during the school year. If you were to work, would you be able to work on Tuesday’s and/ or the weekend? That may be a way to decrease the amount of time you need to spend at your moms.
          If you do just leave to your dads, your mom may be able to call the police since she has custody over you. Have you talked to your father about how you feel and see if there is anything he is able to do to help? We aren't legal experts and the best way to know how all of this would work is to talk to your local police departments' non emergency line or a legal aid agency. We could help you find one in your area over the phone or on chat and even call them and ask questions for you on their behalf.
          We do not want to leave you without options because your safety is our number one priority. We hope you can think over the option of calling us if you wish to further discuss alternatives. We hope you get the answers that you want. If you need anything else please do not hesitate to give us a call anytime. 1-800-786-2929.

Be safe and good luck,
          NRS

• Hello me and my sister are currently staying with are dad and we don’t won’t to stay with him nomore we want to go stay with are mom in Arkansas but my dad always yell at us and say no and me and my sister are 16 An 17 so would it be wrong if we was to just runaway cause we are at the point of just leaving

Comment

• ccsmod0
          ccsmod0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello
          Thank you for taking the time to write to us and share a bit about your situation. Your question about being about le leave home is one that we get asked a lot. We have attached a reply to another user’s question that we think might be beneficial to you as well.
          [QUOTE=Guest;n54744]can i legially go live with my dad in texas when i live in alamaba and havent seen him in 4 years because my mom took me away from him can i legially run away to my dads
          RE:[ Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a tricky situation being away from your dad for the last 4 years and wanting to run back to him. Here at NRS, we truly want to support you and inform you during this difficult time.

We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally. If your dad still has some custody rights over you, you might be able to legally move in with him. If you haven't already, you might reach out your dad to see if you can stay with him, and if needed, would he be okay for going to court for more custody rights. Generally, when youth run from custodial parent to another custodial parent, police may see that as a civil issues for the courts and not a runaway issue.

If your dad has no custody rights and you are 18 or younger in Alabama and you leave, your mom might be able to file you as a runaway with local police. Generally if you are found by police, you would be returned home or detained until your mom can come get you.

We hope this information was helpful. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us if you have more questions or if you would like to talk through your situation We are here 24/7 to listen and help.

Best,

NRS/QUOTE]
          If you still have further questions or concerns we would strongly encourage you to give us a phone call anytime 1-800-786-2929

• i want to go back to my moms house but im scared to tell my dad what should i do?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,

Thanks for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you prefer to live with your mom and are worried about telling your dad. We want to commend you on your reaching out and exploring your options and resources. Child Help USA is a good resource that deals with legal questions, especially pertaining to youth and their rights, and can be reached at 1-800-422-4453.

Have you spoken to your mother about your thoughts and feelings and desire to move in with her? It seems like you are doing a great job in reaching out and expressing yourself to others for support. We encourage you to continue to do so. Another thing to consider is custody, we would need a little more information to give you more advice. If you want to talk more about this issue in the future, you can visit us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at www.1800runaway.org. We are happy to help you in any way we can through resources and support.

Good luck,
          NRS

• So Im 12 years old and I deal with depression my dad and mom don’t live together and I can’t stand going to My dads do I have a right to cancel going?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help. Depression can defiantly be hard to have to deal with, there is always someone willing to listen. One option you could consider is talking to a school counselor or therapist about how you have been feeling, sometimes talking to a professional can help you feel better. Another resource for you is called NAMI (national alliance for mental illnesses). They can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI, they may be able to provide you with resources to help you with your depression.
          You mentioned wanting to cancel going to your dad’s house, we are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. One option you could consider is talking to your parents about how you do not feel like going to your dad’s house. At NRS we offer conference calling, where if you call us we will call out to your parents and help you have a conversation. Conference calling allows you to be heard and we are there to provide support and mediate the conversation.
          We hope this information will help you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options more please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck.
          NRS

• I am living with two ppl that my mom knew cause my mom lost custody of me and I want to go to my dad which is work my mom but he lost custody of me to but I'm thirteen am I old enough to do so with no leagl trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, we know that it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share what's going on. It sounds like it must be really hard not being able to live with either parent. We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but to answer your question, if you do opt to leave your home your guardians can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your guardians. It sounds like CPS (Child Protective Services) has previously been involved in assigning custody. It may be a good idea to reach out the caseworker you worked with before. If you need help locating your local CPS office you can check out childhelp.org.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
          NRS

• Me and my mom don’t get along together and is it legal to go to my dads house at the age of 12 me and my mom is always arguing and I feel like my mom loves my sister more than me I get treated unfair and I feel like she doesn’t even care for me and I know that my dad cares for me and I just don’t know how to tell her that I want to go live with my dad and again I am 12 so can you please help so can you please help me

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi! Thanks for reaching out to us at NRS in your situation. It takes a lot of courage for someone in your situation to reach out for help, so we are really happy that you are seeking for help before taking any major steps. Before running away let’s make sure you have thought through all of your options.
          To answer your main question, we are not legal experts, but if you run away from your mother’s house, she can file a runaway report with the police and they can pick you up and bring you back home. That usually depends on who your primary guardian is, especially if you’re picked up by the police after you runaway. If your mother is your primary guardian, your father might get in trouble if you are staying with him. You should consider talking to your Dad before going to him so he is aware and can make sure nobody gets into trouble. Aside from talking to your Dad, you should also consider talking to your best friend or a school teacher that you trust prior to running away to your father’s house, sometimes someone that is close to you can help you a lot. Before running away, you might want to consider talking to your mom, so she doesn’t get worried and call the police. This would avoid anyone getting in trouble.
          Always keep in mind, if you do not feel comfortable talking to your friends or family, we are here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on the phone or online chat. Once again, we are really happy that you reached out to us and do not hesitate to contact us again on our hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

• There are bad things happening at home with my mom and I need to get out I’m at the point of suicidal thoughts at times I want to live with my dad but my mom says no I’m 15 can I just refuse to go to my moms

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home where bad things are happening. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. This sounds like there might be custody issues at play between your parents which may make things a little more complicated. You may want to reach out to your dad to see what can be done about custody - this may involve lawyers and court appointments.

You mentioned that you have been having suicidal thoughts. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
          NRS

• Question?????
        I have a 16 year old about to be 17 Next month I been in outta her life for some time
        She has a foster mother who beats her and make her stay in room all day cause she got kicked out of all schools for a poem that was taken wrong way
        also i have screen shots of her buried neck and chest and arms...Anyways... She Ran away her mom pass 07 and Im her Biologic father and we recently connect and be texting pictures etc. I sent her phone clothes u know tryna be a good dad and all. Now she ran away from her home and I am worried as hell she answers my calls but her phone says Indiana Somewhere but she is okay... Now she wants me to come get her but im carless So i may catch a grey hound but.idk how to where. Im lost cause Now she telling me she wants to stay there and i dont known what to do...she reccently call me and said her friends told the police my name and that she may be with me But I dont know cause i havent did anything I just want my daughter Home and away from being Abused..Also The police oe cps worker want help her because Her Brother is a cop in that town and she gets brought right back to her Abusive foster mom and Im stuck cause i want the best for her
        no one know i exist So questions will be asked once they realized Im her father...

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there, thanks for reaching out for your daughter. Sounds like she was in a really unsafe situation and you are trying to do right by her and help her, but you are worried about police and CPS's response. That sounds like a really tricky situation and it is clear that you really care about your daughter's well being.

We are not legal experts and your situation is very unique, but we can speak generally. So there is a charge called harboring a runaway if your daughter is found at your place that you could be at risk of being charged with. However, generally when the youth is fleeing abuse harboring charges are off the table. It's good that you have evidence of abuse so if she is found at yours, you can show police and CPS the evidence so it would be hard for you to get in trouble. You can contact CPS and let them know what is going on. Generally, if they would not let her stay with you, they would return her to a different placement. However, it's understandable if you all distrust the system after she has been really hurt in it.

If you would like to talk through the situation and help with brainstorming your options please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us at www.1800runaway.org. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you both the best,

NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X