No announcement yet.

Can I legally runaway to my dad's?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I runaway to live with my dad because it’s to the point where I’m just depressed because my mom is treating my siblings better than me and blaming everything on me just the other night she lost her phone because she was drunk and beat me busted my lip slammed me into the ground and then my hair is really long to my but so she yanked it then cut my hair off now its uneven and I have bald spots in some spots I ran away that night but came back in like 4 hours then when I did arrive back she yell again and threaten to beat me for no reason when she had found her phone later that night when I was gone. And she’s till does it to me now I think she takes her pain out on me. But I just can’t live with her anymore. Where can I go?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 11-30-2018, 03:38 AM.


    • Reply: Can I runaway to live with my dad

      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

      It sounds like you are going through a terrible situation at home.
      You don’t deserve to be abused by your mom, her actions are not your fault.
      It is not right that you have to suffer for things that she might be going through.
      Your safety is important. It sounds like you are thinking about going to your father for help.
      Perhaps you might talk with him and try to explain what’s going on.
      There are laws to protect you from child abuse. You or your father have the option of filing an abuse report with child protective services.
      It might be helpful to photograph any bruises or injuries.

      We understand if there is some hesitation to do this. It’s not an easy decision to make. On the other hand your safety is important.
      If you feel at risk or in danger going to your father's sounds like an idea you have thought of as a first option.

      Talking with a teacher or counselor at your school and asking for help might be another to consider. A teacher or social worker at the school can also assist with filing an abuse report.
      To file an abuse report you can contact Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 this is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
      NRS can try to assist you with locating a safe place or emergency shelter in your area. You can contact us at 1-800 –Runaway (786-2929) or for help and support.

      You are very brave to have reached out today. Good job.
      Please remember that if you are at risk or in any danger we urge you to dial 9-1-1 for immediate help.

      Be safe,

      We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

      National Runaway Safeline (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

      Tell us what you think about your experience!


      • My husband and I have custody of a 14 year old that already runaway with the biological mother. the mother introduce drugs and boyfriend to her. our daughter said she is not happy with us but we are afraid that if we let her go with her mom she is going to turn worse with drugs. we are trying therapy but I guess its not working. our daughter is already influencing with our younger daughter and we don't know what to do. we are trying to find a boarding school for her but we don't have the money. any suggestions.


        • ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that things have been so challenging for your family. It sounds like your daughter feels that she would prefer to live with her biological mother, and you and your husband are concerned that your daughter might be at risk of using drugs if she goes to her biological mother. We can definitely go over options that might be available to you, and we encourage you to reach out to us by phone or chat if you’d like more information.

          You’ve asked about the best way to approach your situation, as well as whether there are boarding schools where you might be able to send your daughter. In your message, you brought up trying therapy with your daughter, but it doesn’t seem to be working. If you feel comfortable with it, you can always ask the therapist if they can refer you to a residential school options in your area. Unfortunately, boarding schools can be pricey, and you may have to ask about whether they can use a sliding scale fee, or if there’s a way to offset the cost. Another option might be to explore whether your state has any residential services available, as well as whether your state offers child/minor in need of supervision programs that might help you access local resources, which may include residential programs.

          We are so sorry to hear that your family is having such a tough time. Please know that we are here to support you & your family. If you would like help identifying resources in your area, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We are available every day, 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786.2929), every day via chat as well. We wish you the very best of luck. Stay safe!
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove