Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    My dad is awful to me and I hate him and I wanna run away and I know it's not illegal but my Mom lives in another state so would I be allowed to fly on a plane or even take a bus to get there legally?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS. It takes a great deal of courage to seek help when you need it. It is very good to see that you are evaluating your options. This reflects a great deal of maturity on your part.

You mentioned that you live with your mom and her boyfriend, but like to move with your dad. You also said your mom opposes to you moving with your dad. You want to know whether you can leave anyway. We are not legal experts here at NRS, but we do have the general information regarding leaving without parental permission/running away. To our limited knowledge, if you were to leave without your mom’s permission, she can file a runaway report. If she files this report, the police will look for you. If the police find you, they will eventually take you back home. We can offer you some options to help you determine your next move. One option would be to have a conference call with your mom. A conference call is basically a three way between our caller, the parent, and one of our liners. This may be helpful to open the lines of communication with your mom. We can be on the line with you while you talk to your mom about wanting to move with your dad. You would have to call our hotline for this option. Another option would be to contact your local police to ask them what the consequences for leaving without parental permission would be in your area. We are not legal experts, but we have heard that some local police departments may leave it to the discretion of their officers whether they take you home or not. We hope this information helps.

Again, thank you for reaching out to NRS. We are glad to see that you are sorting through your options. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or start a live chat with us. We wish you the very best of luck and we hope that everything works out for you. We are here to listen, we are here to help.

Guest replied
    I live with my mom and her bf, my dad and her are still legally married, I am 17, if I want to move to my dad's but my mom opposes to it, can I leave anyway.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Can I legally runaway to my dad's?

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We are not legal experts at NRS but we can support you by seeking options and legal referrals in your area.
    If you would like to speak more about your situation contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (Live chat).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My cousins incle isnt supposed to be in the state but he is and my cousin wamts to go live with him can he sign him up for school ? Ot whould that bring him probleems he has his moms consent

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: If I runaway from my mom's house to my dad's

Hello,
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline .
    Although we understand the urgency of the matter to which you are writing about we are not legal experts.
    This means we cannot give you any legal advice about your situation.

If she decided to your mother could report you as a runaway with the police.

You might consider speaking with your father thus giving the two of you a chance to come up with a plan on what would be the best the option.
    Perhaps he and your mother might work out some sort of arrangement.
    Does that make sense?

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope that things work out for you.

Take care,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-29-2017, 02:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If I runaway from my mom's house to my dad's house could I get in trouble and could my dad get in trouble? My parents have split custody of me but it's not set up through court. I need an answer immediately!!!!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello and thank you for contacting us at NRS!
    Although we try to help everyone the best we can, we are limited to how much advice we can give. We are not legal experts so please do not take this as legal advice. It sounds like you are trying to move in with mother because you are having issues at home with your father. We commend you for speaking up. It isn’t an easy thing to do.
    We are not sure what your custody status is. If both your parents have legal custody over you or visitation periods, then it might safe to go with your mom. However, if this is not the case, your father would be able to make a report and file charges against your mother. She may also be charged with harboring a run away.
    We hope that has helped. Again, we are not legal experts, so please keep that in mind. Above all, we wish that you stay safe and should you have any more questions, please feel free to call us at our Safeline 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Know that you are not alone. Someone is always here to help. We wish you the best of luck!

Guest replied
    If I live with my father can he call the cops if I have left with my monther. They are divorced and I want to move in with my mom. Is it possible that he can report me as a runaway or press charges on my mom ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    replied
    Re: Can I legally runaway to my dad's?

Hi,

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Can I legally runaway to my dad's?

I need some help, my parents are divorced and my mom is never there for me or my sister. I did some research about state laws and whatnot and found that if it is my mom's custody (her and my dad have a 50/50 custody) I am old enough to stay where I want, which is my dad's house, so long as he doesn't force me to be there, so does this mean I can legally run away from my irresponsible mom to my dad?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    replied
    re: What do i do

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your story. We are hearing that you feel your relationship with your mom has caused you to feel depressed and consider running away to your dad's place. We imagine how frustrating that must be for you. We are non directive here at NRS so it may be helpful to consider what other ways you could learn to cope with how you are feeling if you aren't able to run to your dad's like you want. Maybe find an outlet or hobby you can do to take your mind off of things. We are not legal experts but in general 18 is the age that a person can leave home without permission from your parent/guardians. Otherwise, your family can file a runaway report and there is potential for you to be made to go back. If you need help with think of other options or ways to stay safe you can contact us anytime via call or chat.

Sincerely,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What do i do

I'm 16 and have always wanted to live with my father who lives far away. Especially since I have moves 14 times in my life. Whenever I try to discuss moving away with her she freaks out and makes a sob story about how her life has been. I've had and are still having suicidal thoughts. I've come close many times but am always able to overcome this. I've never hurt anyone over this and hope that I never will. If I run away to my dad I don't want him to get in any trouble for harboring a runaway. My dad have brought her to court many times and we have failed in or attempts. I have an older sister with a different dad than me and three younger siblings with a different father. My stepfather is a respectable and very good person. She has had children with three men and has screwed them all over and hit them up for lots of child support. I'm watching the same thing happen to my three little siblings that happened to me and I get in incontrollable rages over it. So please what am I supposed to do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    replied
    Re: Moving out

Hello there,

It sounds like your mom is using drugs and you want to move to your dad’s. That sounds like a really frustrating and unsafe environment to live in, we are sorry you are going through that. It can be considered neglect to use drugs around minors, so you might be able to file an abuse report against your mom. We are not experts on reporting, but if you have questions about reporting, you might try to contact child advocates at Child Helps USA at 1-800-422-4453.

It really depends on if your dad has any custody rights. As an older teen, you might have rights regarding what parent you live with if they both have custody rights. We are not legal experts, but we can provide you with legal aid resources for custody issues if you call or chat us. If your dad does not have any custody rights, it is possible that he would get in trouble if you ran away to stay with him. He could be at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway or kidnapping if your mom calls the police on him. Also, have you talked to him about living with him? If so, maybe he can help you talk to your mom about living with him.

We strongly encourage you to call or chat us if you would like to talk about your situation, help with brainstorming your options, and/or if you would like those legal aid resources.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Moving out

I don't like how my mom always says I'm messing around with girls and guys and doing drugs which I'm not so I want to live with my dad. If I just go live with him could the cops bring me home and can my dad get in trouble for that. I want to move in with him at 17 which is next month. My dad only lives a hour away. I do homeschool and getting my drivers license.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X