Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to runaway...duh?

I moved from Indiana to Oregon after 14 years of living in Indiana. The move and the change as a whole has consumed my happiness and I haven't been happy for two years. I don't really feel like talking about the situation I'm in, as I'm not a very open person. I have a place to go and someone I know that will take care of me. My relationship with my parents is beyond repair and I see running away as the last resort. I want to know if I do decide to runaway:

A: Can the police take me from where I runaway to?
    B: What are the consequences if I get caught?
    C: Does the person who is housing me get into any kind of trouble?

Re: I want to runaway...duh?

Hi,
    thanks for posting.
    We're sorry to hear about the unpleasant situation you're in and understand your feelings of dificulty with talking about it. We would like you to know you are welcome to call our 1-800-runaway 24hr crisis hotline
    should you feel as though you're ready to discuss your situation in a non- judgemental enviroment.
    In regards to your questions we have tried to answer them to the best of our knowledge.

1. If you are a runaway and are discovered by the police you can be removed and detained until contact is made with your parents and arraingements to get you home are decided.

2. Running away is not ilegal so the consequences may be left up for your parents to decide unless you are under any court supervisions or found to be in violation of probation.

3.There is a law against whats known as harboring and or aiding a runaway although we can not say
    for certain what the penalties may be.

We hope we have been of some help in providing you with this information and remember we are available
    24/7 to listen and explore options with you at 1-800-runaway.

Take Care.
    nrs
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

hey painweighted...
      I dont know if you are going to get this or if you are able to read this.. but i thought that I would try anyway.
      Ok, so I ran away... and I was gone for about a month and two weeks, before the cops found me.
      I dont know where you are or your State laws, but when the cops found me I was arrested, and I went to the hospital and had to have a psych analyzation. I also had to do drug tests, a pregnancy test, and like other STD tests and stuff.
      If it is a first offence (usually) they won't do much but like slap you on the wrist. But any other offences may result in Juvinal facilities.
      As far as who you stay with or who helps you. You put anyone who helps you at risk. It is considered harboring or aiding a runaway. Which is a felony (and that is bad). You may send someone to prision if they are caught.

Anyway.. I ran away, and I hated it at home, I had be planning for years, and been suffering from mental and physical abuse for years before I actually did it. And no matter how much I hate it here in my parents house. I would take back running away.

I lost alot of my close friends, I almost got my best friend deported (he is illeagal from Mexico, and they thought that I was staying with him, and he and his entire family almost were deported after being here for 9 years.) I was also raped. The guy that I lived with made me pay him in sex, instead of cash. Since I ran away and couldnt go to work or school I had nothing, and he raped me repeatedly for that month and a half. He also drugged me and made me have sex with one of his friends. I also didnt go to school and I ended up failing first semister. I was an execlient student and I only need 3 credits to graduate and I'm actually graduating a year early and I threw it all away. All the colleges and scholarships. Now I'm stressing trying to do a years worth of work in one semister online. Running away caused so much more stress in my life. I still hate living at home more than anything! I will be leaving here the day i turn 18, but running away was definantly not worth it. It didnt resolve anything and inturn only caused more problems.

I recently started going to therapy since I've been back and it really helps me. I have been diagnosed with bi-polar and I am being put on the approriate medication. And not just medicine is what helps. It really helps to go to therapy if you go in with a positive mind set. It helps to have someone who really wants to listen and who gives you positive feed back to everything that you say. I found it quite helpful, and if you get the opportunity, it might be a good thing to try.

Anyway, I just want you to know that I know how you feel, I've definantly been there and I just thought that I would try to help. Since I've been through it.. Anyway.. good luck, I hope things get better, or you find a healthy way to cope!

Comment

Hi, thanks for sharing your story with us. So sorry to hear of the aweful things you had to go through, but it is great to hear that you are getting help and getting back on your feet. Best of luck, to you.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X