Can A Runaway Attend School?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and my friend are planning on running away I would like to know if I am allowed to go to school we are both age 12 and need to know if we could register in school

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
      Running away is a big decision, and we want you to know that your safety is the top priority. We are not legal experts but for you to be enrolled in school, usually a legal guardian would need to register you. You would also need forms, such as your birth certificate and immunization records.
      Also the current school you are attending, if you stop attending they would most likely report that to your parents. You could always speak to a school counselor about your situation, and they may be able to let you know on enrollment requirements. They would also be able to provide support and resources.
      You and your friend do not have to deal with this situation alone, we can talk through options and offer support to you. Please reach out to us by chat or by calling 1800-786-2929. We are available to you 24/7.
      Best of luck!
      NRS

Hello I have a question about me being able to gET enrolled to school. I left my house due to my family taking away my bed and the day before i had left my stepdads father told me to leave. And i was going to leave that day but i had no way of leaving. So i waited till the next day and i left. Ive been gone for about 2 months almost 3. But in the beginning my family had told me that if i come back to the house im gonna have to just take my stuff in leave. But in this sense my mom also reported me as a runaway. And i have contacted ny mom addressing that i needed her help enrolling me into school. And she refused. So i dont know what to do. Im 17 about to be 18 in about 6ish months. But i need options.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and recently left a toxic home environment. You deserve to live somewhere where you feel safe and happy.

First, you mentioned that you left home almost three months ago but have some contact with your mom. You indicated that your mom filed a runaway report but said that she would not let you back in the house if you were to return home. We are so sorry to hear that she is not helping you in your efforts to enroll in school and that she is not being supportive of possibly coming back home.

We are not legal experts, but one option you have is to contact your local police with hypothetical and anonymous questions to gauge your rights. Since a runaway report means that the police may be looking for you, they may help clarify some of your questions on whether our not you can independently enroll in school.

Another option you have is to contact the school where you would like to enroll. They may have protocol for helping students in difficult situations.

Additionally, since you mentioned that you have been gone a few months, we want to ensure your safety. An option that you always have is to reach out to us through our 24/7 line (1-800-RUNAWAY) and we will be able to offer you support and specific resources to your location such as the number for the non-emergency police or youth shelters.

Something else we offer at the NRS is a conference call option with a parent or guardian. After speaking with a counselor here, we would then call out to your parent and have a three-way call. Since a trained crisis counselor would be on the line, we make sure that the call is productive and respectful. Conference calls can be helpful in having difficult conversations, but they are always youth-initiated so if this does not sound like something that would be helpful to you, we will not call out.

Again, our lines are always open and we have a chat service on our website as well.

Stay strong,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X