No announcement yet.

A question.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A question.

    I'm 16 male living in California who is just troubled and want to start a new life without parents.
    I've done some research and I know if I just run I would have hard time and police would find me very soon.
    I've seen few options such as Job Corps in Sacramento which I'm guessing is with parental permission.
    Out of school youth,
    Runaway and homeless youth,
    Youth with disabilities,
    Pregnant or parenting youth,
    Youth offenders,
    Youth in foster care or aging out,
    Rural youth,
    Urban youth,
    Minority youth.
    Run away and homeless youth, does that include a 16 year old?
    And is there any other option? Thank you.

  • #2
    Re: A question.


    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard and we hope that we can be of service to you in this time of need. We certainly empathize with your difficult situation and want to help you in every way. Generally, the age for when you are allowed to leave home without permission is 18, so there is not a whole lot of options for someone who is still considered a minor and where you can go without your parents permission. As crisis intervention workers, we are here for you if you needed to reach out to us for information about shelters in your area but even if you were to go to one, they are required by law to call your parents once you are there for some time.

    It is not a crime to runaway in most states but it is the right of your parents to file you as a runaway in your state to protect themselves from being charge with neglect and to verify your status with the police if and when you are picked up. We are very confidential here and we never judge you, so if you wanted to call us to find you shelters we can talk to you and give you options but we cannot offer you advice about what to do. We imagine that this is a very tough time for you but if you were to call us at 1800runaway,we are here 24 hours a day to assist you and can do so in whatever way you want the conversation to go. Feel free to call us anytime if you want to talk because we are here to listen. In terms of option like job corp, our understanding is that you have to be a little older but you do need your mother to sign you in and that sounds like something you are not willing to entertain. We are here for you so feel free to call anytime. Good luck.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove