Im 17 and I want to move out of my house without parents consent

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us what is going on. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation right now and it was very brave of you to contact us. Unfortunately, we aren’t legally trained here so we wouldn’t be able to tell you exactly what would happen but we can give you some general ideas about what may happen.

It sounds like you have recently turned 17 and you’re thinking about moving out to live with your boyfriend. It also sounds like you have been taking care of your brothers for a very long time on top of having depression and being bullied. That’s a lot for you to have to deal with and we are sorry to hear that is going on. You said that the school isn’t helping you any about the bullying; can you tell us more about what you have tried so far? There is a great website, www.stopbullying.gov, which can help you find resources and give ideas about people you can talk to. It also sounds like you have attempted suicide but your brother found you. Again, we are sorry to hear that all of this is going on. If you are feeling suicidal again, you can call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). You can also call us here and we can talk with you also.

You mentioned that you are thinking of leaving to go live with your boyfriend in IN but you have some concerns because your mom has said she would call the police. Again, we aren’t legally trained here but we do have some general ideas about what might happen. Generally speaking, if you are under 18 than in most states, you are considered to be a minor. That means that your mom may have the option to file a runaway report with the local police but the report would go into a national database. Also, she may have the option to press charges against your boyfriend since he is over 18. Unfortunately, we don’t know what exactly would happen but you may be able to call the local police and ask them what they would do. If that is something you would like to explore but you are nervous about calling yourself, we can help you make a conference call to them. We can also help you find other resources such as legal aid, counseling or shelters if you are interested in any of those. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through live chat from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST) if you would rather talk with us that way.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

I am a 17 year old I live in Pennsylvania. I live in a very stress full environment. I do not want to go to a home and I would like to be out on my own. Can I move out at 17 without parental consent? I have no parents only a legal guardian. I am willing to get a job and pay for everything myself. Is there any number I can call for help? Or is there anything I can do to be out on my own?please please help with my situation.

Comment

Re: I'm 17 and I want to move out of my house without parents consent

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having a hard time right now. You mentioned that you live in a stressful environment and that you would like to leave. We are here to support you in any way that we can.

You asked if you could move out without parental consent. In the state of Pennsylvania, a 17 year old is considered a minor. If you leave your home without permission, your guardian can report you as a runaway, and you might be made to return home. You cannot be charged with a crime just for leaving your home, but you should know that if you move in with someone else, they could be charged with harboring a runaway.

Have you thought about where you would live and what your plan is for moving out? If you would like to talk about your situation in greater detail, you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. All of our services are completely anonymous and confidential. We could help you work out what your next steps will be, answer any questions that you might have, and provide you with any resources in your area that might be helpful to you, such as legal support, shelter, or counseling. Our hotline is open 24/7. You can also reach us through our live chat service at www.1800RUNAWAY.org between the hours of 4:30 and 11:30 pm Central time. We are here to listen and support in any way we can. We are looking forward to talking to you!

Best of luck,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

17 need help moving out

Hi. I'm 16 but I'll be 17 in 2 months. I used to live in Georgia and was very happy there with all of my friends and my boyfriend-now fiancé. My father moved me to Tennessee because he bought some land to put our 4 horses on. We have a lot of animals, and he puts them before me and my mother. They fight constantly and I've found myself resenting my father for dragging me here against my will and when I try to talk to him about moving back, he yells at me. My fiancé is 18, we've been having a long distance relationship for a year now and it has strained our relationship. He is getting a place of his own within the time I will turn 17 and he wants me to move in with him. I have planned every detail out of how to make it work, except for how I would be able to if my father says no, which he more than likely will. My mother knows my intentions and I have shared my plans with her, my father, however, does not know though I've been trying to slip hints about moving in with my fiancé. Is there any way I could move back to Georgia with my fiancé without getting into trouble with the law?

Comment

RE: 17 need help moving out

Hi there,

Thanks for posting here tonight. It sounds like you’re going through so much right now. It can be really tough to have a long distance relationship. It’s understandable that you’re frustrated with your dad and that you want to go to live with your fiancé. And yea, the law is difficult to guide through, so it was smart of you to reach out for some guidance. Let’s see how we can help you out.

So we are not legal experts here, but we are able to generally talk through what might happen. In general, you are considered a runaway if you leave home without your parent’s permission before you turn 18. However, in many states, if you decide to runaway at 17, the police will not take a runaway report from your parents. If the police don’t take a runaway report, you will not be forced to come back home. If they do take a report, then they may force you to return. For 17 year olds, it is rare for the police to actively search for you. But if you interact with them (get pulled over, arrested), they may return you.

If you’ve never been arrested before, it is not illegal to runaway. The most that would happen is that you would be returned home to your parents. At 18, the runaway report goes away and does not stay on your permanent record.

Many people in your situation try and get permission from both parents before deciding to leave. Do you feel that may be an option? Maybe thinking about some ways to approach your dad with the conversation might help.

We understand that we talked about a lot of information. If you’d like to discuss it further, you can contact us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are completely confidential and anonymous. If you can’t call in, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We look forward to chatting or talking with you.

Best of luck,

NRS

Comment

Moving out

I am 17 I have graduated high school so can I move out of my parents home?

Comment

Re: Moving out

Hey,
                Thanks for reaching out to us. We’ll try and help out as best as we can.

To start off, the age of majority in most states is 18. That means that once a person turns 18 (up until that age) then and only then can someone leave home and decide where they want to live. In some states, the age of majority is 17 and if that’s the case, those same rules apply.

We’re not sure if being 17 and having graduated school will automatically let you decide where you get to live but you might be close. The best way to find out what the laws are in your area is to call the non-emergency police number. There shouldn’t be any harm done and all you’re really doing is ‘familiarizing’ yourself with the laws in your area.

If you’d like to explore more options in your area and what’s available to you, please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re anonymous, confidential and available 24/7. We can talk with you about what else we can help with.

Best,
                NRS

Comment

im 17 , & i want to move in with my 19 yr old boyfriend ..

mmm , hey ?

im a 17 yr old girl from tx , ill be turning 18 in 4 months , i have a 19 yr old boyfriend & he wants me to move in with him , im a senior in high school & he's a sophomore in college .. he has a well paid job & his own vehicle .. we would be moving into his parents house .. we do have the best of intentions & i love him immensely .. the problem is that we always have to be following my parents rules where they hardly ever let me out , or stay out later than 9:30 .. i want to know how to talk to my parents and make them understand my decison over moving out .. my boyfriend & i do plan on getting our own place .. but what do i do ?

Comment

RE: im 17 , & i want to move in with my 19 yr old boyfriend ..

Hello,
                    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you want to move out of your parents’ house and in with your boyfriend. You said that your parents hardly ever let you out. That must be really frustrating. In Texas, a person is considered to be a minor until the age of 18. If you move out without your parents’ permission, there are a couple things that might happen. They could make a report with the police that you have run away from home; in that case, the police can make you go back home if they find you. Running away is not a criminal offence, but the police can take a minor into custody without a warrant and release them into the custody of their parents. However, it is a crime to harbor a runaway: this means that if your boyfriend or his parents know that you are a runaway and fail to report that you are with them, or if they attempt to obstruct the police in finding you, they could face legal trouble. That is one possible outcome that could happen if you leave against your parents’ wishes before you are 18, but police departments do not always react uniformly to runaway reports, so you can always call the non emergency local police number to ask questions about the law. In four months when you turn 18, you can legally live anywhere that you please and your parents no longer will be able to stop you or to file a runaway report.
                    You said that your boyfriend has a good job and a car, and that you are planning to get your own place. Have you thought about how you would support yourself and how you will get transportation to school? There are lots of things you might want to have figured out before you move out. If you need more help thinking about your plans, you can always give us a call 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY, or chatting with us through our website, www.1800RUNAWAY.org from 4-11pm central time. All of our services are confidential and anonymous. We can answer your questions and help provide you with resources. We are looking forward to talking to you!
                    Best of luck,
                    NRS

Comment

moving out

I'm 17. I live in North Carolina. Can I legally move out with out parent consent. My mom can't take care of me but my boyfriend can I stay with most of the time anyway.

Comment

RE: moving out

Hi there,

Thanks for posting here tonight. It sounds like you’re trying to put together a good plan. That’s a good idea when trying to figure out the law. It can be a bit complicated, but we will do our best to explain and help you out tonight.

We are not legal experts here, but we are able to talk about what usually happens in situations like this. In general, if you are under 18 and you decide to leave home without your mom’s consent, then your mom has the right to file a runaway report. If the police take the report, and then they find you, they would force you to return back home. It is not illegal to runaway, you would just be returned home.

Now here’s where it gets a little complicated. In many counties in North Carolina (we’re not sure which ones) the police will not take a report for a 17 year old. If they didn’t take the report that would basically mean you are allowed to live where you want. However, it does not mean that you have the rights of an adult (sign a lease, vote, etc.).

One thing that you might want to be aware of: If the police decide to take the report from your mom, then your mom would have the right to charge the person who you are staying with something called “harboring a runaway”. The consequences for this range from a fine to jail time.

Sometimes people in your situation try to get permission from their parent (just a verbal “yes”) to leave. Can you think of a way to convince your mom that this is a good idea?

If you’d like to talk more about your situation or have any questions about what we talked about, you can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are completely confidential and anonymous. If you can’t call in, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We look forward to talking or chatting with you.

Best of luck,

NRS

Comment

im not sure exactly.. 16 pa

hi,
                          Im an independent girl living in a house with a sometimes physical and always mentally abusive sister/ guardian. i cook clean and do everything myself. i live in pa, im 16, and plan on marrying my fiancé and living with him, with my fathers permission (my mom lives out of state). however i dont live with either of my parents i live with my sister, her husband and their two kids. i plan on living with my fiancé in New York but i don't want to get him into any trouble. I'm 98% positive my sister will go to the police and file a report. So I'm wondering if I'm married to him, because its legal to be married at 16 in the state of pennsylvania, will he go to prison for harboring a minor? is there some way i can do this so that he doesn't get in trouble? i know i can get emancipated but i don't want my sister to know. she doesn't know who he is but my mom does. no one will find me. thats about it. thanks!

Comment

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us a little bit about what is going on. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation right now and it was very brave of you to contact us. Sometimes, asking people for help or guidance can be a very difficult thing to do; hopefully we can provide you with some support and resources that will be able to help you further.

It sounds like you are currently living with your sister but want to leave home to go live with your boyfriend in New York. You said that your sister is your guardian but she is mentally and physically abusive towards you. We are sorry to hear that because everyone deserves to feel safe when they are at home. It also sounds like you live with your sister and her family but your dad is also in PA. Can you tell us a little more about what’s going on?

Now, we aren’t legally trained here so we can’t say for sure what will happen if you do leave home and your sister were to file a report. What we can do is give you a general idea and then try to find you some resources that may be able to give you more specific answers. It is our general understanding that if a youth leaves home before turning 18, then their legal guardian does have the option to file a report with the police; it seems as if you are pretty sure that your sister will do this. Now, if the police were to find you, they may return you to her house or take you to the closest police department and contact her. Since we aren’t familiar with the laws, we can’t say for sure what the police will do but we can help you call out to them if you would like to ask them but are uncomfortable calling on your own.

You also mentioned becoming emancipated and that is an option that you have. It is our understanding that this process can take a long time and can get very expensive. It also sounds like you would like to do it without your sister finding out but, in many states, the guardian is involved in the process. There are a few legal aid resources that can help you through the emancipation process and we’ve included their numbers. They would be the ones who could best explain how the process works and if your sister would have to be involved; again, if you aren’t comfortable calling on your own, please call us and we can help you out with that.

Youth Advocate: 814-849-1237
                            Legal Services Inc: 717-243-9400
                            Middle Pennsylvania Legal Services, Inc: 717-264-5354
                            Keystone Legal Services, Inc: 814-765-9646

We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you would like to call and talk with us some more about what is going on and what your options may be. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we are completely confidential and anonymous. We also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST) and those can be found on our website (www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

im not sure exactly... more info

[QUOTE=ccsmod2;8378] my dad lives in pa but is an alcoholic so i cant live with him. he's not abusive he's actually a pleasant drunk. its just not an appropriate place for me to live. i try to see him on occasion but my sister never drives me there. my boyfriend is older then 18 though so i don't want him getting into any trouble. hence the reason for marriage. even though i know it might not work out but you never know love can conquer all.. at least i think so. i know ill be safer with him. so i guess one of my other questions is if i married to him can i live with him?.my main thing im worried about in runnign away is getting him in trouble. i know you cant give me exact legal advice but any advice helps ohh also, my sister is not legally my guardian she just has permission from my mom to sign off for me for school. thats the reason I'm living with her. thanks for the quick reply

Comment

RE: im not sure exactly... more info

Hi again,

Thanks for sharing some more information about your situation. It sounds like you’re trying to put together a thought out plan. That’s impressive. So let’s see how we can help you out.

In terms of getting married in PA, if you are under 16 year old, then you would need the consent of at least one parent. And in this case, it sounds like your mom would have to give you permission to do so. Now, if you are married in the state of PA, it also means that you would be emancipated. If all of this happens, then you would be able to live with your boyfriend.

We hope that this clarifies some information. If you have some more specific legal questions you can contact Philadelphia Legal Assistance (215-981-380. They might be able to talk through more specific questions with you. You may also try calling the resource provided above.

If you have any questions for us or want to talk through some options. Feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We look forward to talking or chatting with you.

Good luck to you,

NRS

Comment

Working...
                                X