Can I move out at 17 without parent consent in Michigan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 and would like to move out for many reasons. My mom isn't nice to me and there is a few places I could stay. I'm hesitant to try to move out because my mom told me if I move out she would disown me and wouldn't help me and anything I left she would get rid of and ruin. I mean I have 2 animals I refuse to leave behind it's my cat and kitten my mom would get rid of them or let them outside to get hit by a car ... I don't want that I would have to take them with me. My boyfriend is one year older and has offered to help (he’s living with me right now). Let me explain why I want to leave, for years I put up with my mom constantly putting me down call me names and mentally abusing me, I never had a good self-esteem but her words hurt me allot, to this day I've had enough and started to speak up for myself but all it's fine was make it worse my sister told me to move out but I have so much stuff and I have no way of getting the cats out and I will not leave them.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 11-05-2019, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are trying to decide what to do about leaving home or staying. There are some obstacles (pets) keeping you from making a decision at this time. We can understand your dilemma and how frustrated by a situation you must be. It’s good that you are taking your time in making a decision. If you would like to talk more about your situation and explore some options concerning your pets, please reach out to NRS via 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org (Live chat).
      Take care,
      NRS

• i’m 17 years old. with the coronavirus and everything that’s going on right now i’ve been pretty stressed and feeling really down. this was supposed to be my graduation year. this is not how i pictured it. i’m done with school now and wanting to move in with my boyfriend. my parents are not happy about it and threaten to call the police , is there anything i can do ? my boyfriends parents want me to live with them because they like me a lot and i feel like i’d be happier there.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like things at home are really stressful and you are wanting to move in with your boyfriend. That cannot be easy to deal with.

We are not legal experts, and considering your age plus the fact that you have graduated, it is hard to say how police would respond if your parents tried to report you as a runaway to local police. Legally, the can report you as a runaway whenever you leave home without permission before you turn 18. However, it is up to how your local police respond. Police can treat 17 year old runaway situations differently than younger youth, but you still risk being returned home if found by police. To know what could happen, you might reach out to your local police department and ask if they would take a report for you and return you home. You might also have your boyfriend's parents reach out to police to ask since they are worried about your wellbeing and could advocate for you. We are always here at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you would like us to be on the line with you and police.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk more. 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

We look forward to hearing from you,

NRS

• Can I move out of my house at 17?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents (or guardians) can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay safe,
      NRS

• I will be turning 17 in December and I want to move out now and go stay with my Dad and his mother, I don't want them to get into any trouble. I live in Michigan and they live in Texas, can my mom call the police on them if I leave.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to have family living so far away from one another. We aren't legal experts but, generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your mom can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

It is doubtful that your father and your grandmother would face legal issues if they were to take you in but if your parents have a custody agreement it could greatly affect that. It may be beneficial to speak with your dad directly about your desire to live with him. Sometimes custody transfers will need to go through the family court system and it may be beneficial to speak with a legal advocate. If you need help locating a legal aid group near you you can check out https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay safe,
      NRS

• Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    In the state of Michigan, at 17 you can legally move out. I know from experience. My friend was sick of her home and moved in with one of her friends. Her parents called the cops and they didn't pick her up or anything because she was 17
    Wait so when I turn 17 and I want to leave I could bc I live in Michigan and ik my aunt would call the police and give them and old drug test would that change anything if they saw a old test if I’ve been clean and so has my boyfriend.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. Leaving home can be a big decision, and asking for help can take a lot of courage. It seems like you may be interested in leaving home when you turn 17, and we are happy to explore this option further with you. We are by no means legal experts, but it does seem like the age of majority in Michigan may be 17. This means you could potentially leave your aunt's house without her permission when you turn 17. One way to be sure that this is allowed in the state of Michigan is to contact your local, non-emergency police line. If you need support with this you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat with us through our website https://www.1800runaway.org/. We would be happy to call with you or for you. We are open 24/7 and we are completely confidential. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time. We are hoping to hear from you soon.

Best of luck,
      NRS

• I'm 17 and I live in Michigan. I want to leave and live with my friend. Her parents are good with it. I know they won't get in trouble if I leave could I convince the police not to take me back. And can my parents request to take me back? Cause I'll be 17 so why would they take me back when I'll be 18 in 1 year?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that, in Michigan, you can move out at 17 and the police will not return you back home. You may want to reach out or have an adult reach out to the police for you in order to verify that information, but as far as we know you can leave.

If you want to talk more about what’s going on or ask any more questions, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• Age of majority act
    chapter 722
    children 722.1
    states that any child 17 and under legally cannot move out without parental consent. Some places either don’t enforce it or don’t know the law but if a parent or lawyer brings it up they will abide by it

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• Can I move in with my bf being 17 without parents consent ??? Bc I feel like hell in my house i cry most of the time , I don’t have anyone tot all here besides my bf !!?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your living situation is so emotionally difficult. It makes sense that you want to leave an environment that is not good for your mental health.

While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. If you are reaching out from Michigan, it is our understanding that you can move out without your parents’ consent when you are 17, but this is only in Michigan as far as we know. Otherwise:

It is not illegal to run away. Your parent/guardian could file a runaway report on you but this would NOT mean that you would get arrested or charged with anything. It typically does mean that the police could return you home if they encountered you and that would be that. Some police can be more understanding about what is going on at your home. In our experience, police will oftentimes return the youth back to their guardian almost no matter what. Police typically do not actively search for a runaway youth. However, they will go where the parent/guardian directs them if they know where you are staying. Additionally, police can sometimes be more lenient about runaway situations the closer you are to 18. You can attempt to calmly, respectfully, and persistently deny them consent to touch you or take you anywhere, and they may give up on trying to return you home. They also may not, in which case you should comply with what they tell you to do for your safety.

If you want to talk more about what is going on and what options you might have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• I am 17 years old and am experiencing some problems with my mother that i don't know how to solve. I have had a job now for almost 3 months and have been giving each paycheck to my mother, because she doesn't have a job, with the promise that i will receive my money by the time our old house is sold. I had been planning on using that money for a car to get to and from school and work because my mother simply doesn't want to pick me up or drop me off. Our old house is now sold and she is telling me that she wont give me the money back until i am 18, because she needs it to fix her old car and for "family expenses." Do i have the right to demand it back or should i just put up with it?
    - Max from Florida

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult situation and we want you to know you are not alone.

It was nice of you to originally help your mother with money, but we are sorry to hear that she has taken advantage of you and you do not deserve that. Because it is your hard earned money you do have the right to demand it back, but because you are still a minor we are not sure what her rights would be to your money. One option is you could consider talking to your mom about giving you half of your money if she is not giving you the full amount. You can also call your local police department and ask them what your rights would be in this situation.
      Please call or chat with us to discuss this situation further or explore more options. We are available to you 24/7 by phone or by chat. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

• I’ve been having a hard time with my family and I can’t deal with their toxicity and yelling anymore it is very very hard for me and they bring me down every single day and it makes it hard for me to focus on school. I get yelled at once I come back home from school, I get yelled at if I make one little mistake, and they put things in my head and I just can’t deal with it anymore. I am a good child I have not done anything bad, I have never smoked or drink or had sex, snuck out or anything like that. I try talking to them about how I feel but it never works because they end up yelling and yelling and they say “I am fake being sad” when I am not. So now I hide my emotions from them and I never want to talk to them about anything because I know they will yell at me and bring me down and just say I’m being a **********. I am 16 and I am willing to wait until 17 to leave but I don’t know if I will be able too you know, my boyfriend talk to his mom if she was okay with me to move in with them and she is okay with it. I know that I will have to work and help pay the rent you know and I am will to do that because I love his mom and am okay with helping her out. But idk if once I leave the cops will bring me back because I know 100% they will call the cops and tell me to lie to them and then hit me.

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

We thank you for sharing a little bit about what’s been going on at home, we hope to help as best we can. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

The easiest way to leave home is with your parents’ permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Its good to know you have support from your boyfriend and their mom, if they are willing to help they could assist you in the emancipation process if it’s something you would be interested in. Otherwise they may be able to help you communicate to your parents about being more at peace outside of your home.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

• I have been considering moving out. My mom and step-dad are really mean. I have really bad anxiety and depression and they keep saying it's my fault. I have a job and I almost enough money for car and driver's training. The only problem is I will be 16 in December, not 17. I don't wanna take it to court because I need to save my money for college and an apartment for when I can move out. Is there a way to legally move out without spending a bunch of money?

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. Sounds like you’ve got a plan to leave, but you just have a few more question about it. It’s great that you’re thinking ahead and planning for your future, that’s really smart to save money and think about what college/university you might apply to.

The only way that you will be removed from parent's custody legally and live somewhere else is if a youth were to report any abuse that was happening at home and there was an investigation in which they deemed it unsafe for that youth to continue living there or if that youth filed for emancipation (every state is different, but you have to be 16 years or older and it does take a while to complete) or if there was a court decision to transfer custody to someone else. Those are the only three ways that a youth could legally leave home that we know of. It sounds like you were trying to avoid going through court, but unfortunately there might not be many options besides that. Your parents may give you permission to live with another family or relative, but without getting an official document from the court they would still be legally responsible for you. Which means that they can also take away that permission at any given moment and take you back home to live with them once again.

Now we do offer a service that is basically a Conference Call where the parent/guardian, the youth, and us would be on the phone talking about what has been going on. This way there can be a mediator in between keeping things calm and productive. If you’d feel more comfortable with doing that, just know that it’s always available. It might be a great way to talk about what you are going through and where this feelings might be coming from or to maybe build on your relationship and make it better. So maybe that might be an option for you and your parents. Something constructive so that it certainly opens the lines of communication, but that services is completely up to you.

We hope that this responds helps and if you need to reach out again to talk to us more about what is going on with things at home, we are here 24-hours for you. Please connect us via our hotline or online chat. Best of luck.

• So my mom and dad are divorced and I am legally living with my mom due to the courts decision. But I am sick of home and have been abused. Not several time but only once recently. I am only 16 years old and in a few months will be 17. Im trying plan out what to do and see if its safe to run away without reprecations. So can I run away to a friends house at 17 without my parents being able to force me to go back home? And will my friends parents get in trouble for taking me in a s a run away?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• My boyfriend is 17.5 (i am 1 and we want to both move from his house to my mothers. His family is honestly sort of abusive and manipulative towards him. Whenever he doesnt do anything or has an anxiety attack, they threaten to contact Pine Rest, a mental hospital. There is constant fights, they withold his money from disability benefits, and so much more. Its not a healthy living environment but he refuses to allow anyone call CPS to get him out safely. I dont want my parents to get in trouble if his awful parents decide to pull something and call police. I dont know what to do because i have been told he could move out at 17 (some google articles support it) but other google articles say he cant. Hes too close to being 18, he cant be emancipated. I cant let him be abused anymore but the police would just take him back and arrest and charge my parents for harboring a runaway. My boyfriend loves his family and doesnt want them in trouble with CPS so its not like hes gonna call nor let anyone. He also is worried that he'll be sent to foster care if they are called. Im seriously stuck here.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting NRS. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation. We’re glad you reached out to us.

No one deserves to be treated the way your boyfriend is being treated. It is his parent’s responsibility to provide a safe and supportive environment for him.

A potential resource for both you and your boyfriend is Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at www.childhelp.org or 1-800-4-A-CHILD (422-4453). Childhelp is a 24-hour hotline with volunteers who can talk to you about your situation and provide resources that may be helpful to you. They are also very knowledgeable about the workings of CPS in various states and mat be able to provide advice on options.

We’re not legal experts, but we can provide some basic information that may be helpful to you. The age of majority (the age at which you can legally leave home) in most states is 18. In Michigan, however, you can leave home at 17. It may therefore be possible for him to move to your mother’s house without the risk of her being charged with harboring.

The way the police handle runaway and harboring cases varies from place to place. If you call the non-emergency number of your local police department they may be able to tell you how they handle runaway and harboring cases. If you are uncomfortable making the call, you can call us and one of our volunteers can make the call with or for you.

You can also always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We have volunteers available 24/7 to talk and to help you find resources that may be helpful to you.

We wish you the best!

• Hey I’m 17 i turn 18 in two months and a friend asked if I could move in with them I have a job and could easily pay my bills would I be able to do this?

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us, we hope to help as best we can. Since you are close to turning 18, you may be inclined to wait until then to leave home. If so, you would then be considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving is a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone.
      If you choose to leave when you are still under 18, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Especially since you are very close to being 18. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best

Be safe,
      NRS

• Can you legally leave home on your 17th birthday without your parents’ consent in Michigan if you are in no harm?

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thanks for reaching out; we are glad that you did. It's our understanding that at 17 in Michigan, police are no longer accepting runaway reports. So police wouldn't be looking for you. But that doensn't mean you are a legal adult. You still cannot sign a lease, open a bank account, get medical assistance, etc. because you are still a minor until 18.
      We work best when we can have a conversation with people so we do hope that you will chat us through this website or call the hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY
      Sincerely,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X