Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I move out at 17 without parent consent in Michigan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I’m 16 and I don’t know what to do. I live in Michigan and my dad is an utter psycho. Usually it’s okay but every couple of weeks, like a cycle, he just goes ballistic At the smallest or most insignificant of things. He constantly threatens to kick me or my brothers out of the house if we do something he perceives as disrespecting him or if we don’t like that he constantly screams, breaks things around the house or threatens to beat us up when he is in these moods. I am just tired of it. I can’t do it anymore, especially since both my brothers leave for college next year and I know like clockwork he will continue to have these moods but there will be no one strong enough to combat him if he becomes violent, because it’ll just be me, my mom and my dad at home. Like he has said countless times ‘If you don’t like it leave’ I want to leave this place but I have nowhere to go. And I am also pretty sure if I ever did try to leave they would contact the police in a flash. What can I do to get out of this situation but still attend my school? He also works at my school as head of discipline so things do not look good for me.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you’re going through a really difficult time right now. You don’t deserve the abuse that is happening to you.

If you’d like to talk to someone specifically about the abuse you’re dealing with, Child Help is a great resource. The phone number for their National Child Abuse Hotline is 1-800-422-4453.

About talking to your mom - have you considered having another adult present when you talk to your mom? A trusted relative, school teacher, coach, or guidance counselor can help you explain to your mom what you’re feeling and why you want to leave.
    If that is not an option, we offer a conference call service at NRS. We can have a three-way phone call with you and your mom and help guide the conversation so it is the most productive it can be.

It sounds like you have carefully considered what you will do if you run away, but if you’d like to talk more about what that will look like, please feel free to call us.

If you’d like to call us to talk about your options, our lines are open 24/7. You can reach us at 1-800-Runaway.

Guest replied
    Hello” I’m 17 years old and every since I was 13 my parents were been abusive only my dad though and my mom would just keep letting Him abuse me so i turned 17 on the tenth of this month and I desided that I want to runway I know where I’m going and everything but how should I tell my mother I’m leaving because I’m unhappy at home and depressed and I just wanna have a free moment with her tellin me I won’t be nothing and that I’ll drop out of school even though when I run away I’ll be going to school and working so pls help me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to get into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum, we are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. We do want to say that it must be very hard for you to have to go through all of this. It sounds like a very stressful situation for you at home dealing with all the emotional abuse. Unfortunately that kind of abuse it typically harder to prove so from what we hear, child protective services don’t usually react. Hopefully by supporting you there are other that are reading through this thread that can relate can feel helped as well.

As you have probably read in other threads, the laws on that specific subject of just leaving home and/or running away vary from state to state. Now we can’t stress enough that we aren’t legal experts, but what generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Now we have reached out to several police departments over the time and they all say that it doesn’t matter if you’re 17 or close to turning 18 years old, that they will still take a runaway report because you are still considered a minor. In this case, it sounds like you have already talked to the police yourself and has told you that you can leave just that your parents are still reasonable for you. That does fit some other information that we have heard as well, the fact that though a police officer doesn't take a report it doesn't make it legal for you to leave home before you turn 18.

Only you know when it is time to leave and when it’s not. So if you have already been told by the police that you can leave, then that’s a choice that you are going to have to make on your own using that information.

Guest replied
    Can I legally move out when Im 17?
    My parents adopted me and two of my sisters back when we were little, but for at lest, the last 5 years its been rough. Its emotionally abusive, mentally abusive. An all i wanna do is walk away from the situation. Im a good kid i dont get introuble. Ive got great grades, i could even graduate early if i wanted. (im a senior) Ive called my local law enforcement, local sheriffs office an they told me that i can move out legally they cant do anything about it, but my parents are still responsible for me. So if i get arrested (which im not planing on it), or something medically wrong happens to me, their still responsible. Ive talked to my parents an tryed to see if we could figure out a solution together for all the fights an else what but they refuse to listen to anything i say. In their eyes their the only ones that matter along with their opinions. Even my friends see the abuse. But as soon as someone comes over to my house my parents make everything seem like everything's OK. But when they leave... An i just want to leave so i can worry about me an my future. But i want to know, is it 100% legal for me to move out without parent consent when i turn 17.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thank you very much for writing us at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re here to listen, and here to help. We are so sorry to hear that things are difficult for you at home with your mom and stepdad. It is wonderful that you have so many forms of support through your extended family members such as your aunt and grandmother and that you are able to be there for your aunt in need. Have you considered asking your mom whether you could take a break and stay with your relatives? Likewise, it seems like you have a lot on your mind, and it could be helpful to communicate how you feel with your parents. You deserve to feel valued and you do not deserve for your relatives to be talked about around you.

As you may know, if you were to leave home without your mom’s permission, your parents could file a runaway report. This is because running away at your age is a status offense. Additionally, those who help runaways could be charged with harboring a runaway. At 17, it varies by how your local police department chooses to handle this. The best way to find out is to call them and ask their policy.

We would love to provide you with more individualized supports and to talk with you more about your situation. Feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or 1-800-786-2929, since we are available 24/7 or chat with us. One service that you may want to use is our conference call option. We can help facilitate your conversation with your parents through a three way conference call.

We hope to hear from you soon,

NRS

Guest replied
    So I'm 16 I turn 17 in October I really want to move away from my parents I want to move in with my grandmother and my disabled aunt I already help out with my aunt as a personal assistant but at home I feel unwanted I feel like my mom and step dad are trying to rip me away from my family members that I'm close to they constantly downgrade my grandmother and other family members I'm very unhappy at home I my step dad always down grades me tells me I'm gonna mount to nothing in life and I hate him for it I don't want to be around them any more they stress me out.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to get into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum, we are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. We do want to say that it must be very hard for you to have to go through all of this. It sounds like a very stressful situation for you at home. Hopefully by supporting you there are other that are reading through this thread that can relate can feel helped as well.

As you have probably read in a lot of other threads, the laws on that specific subject of just leaving home and/or running away vary from state to state. Now we aren’t legal experts, but what generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. Now we have reached out to several police departments over the time and they all say that it doesn’t matter if you’re going to be 17 or close to turning 18 years old, that they will still take a runaway report because you are still considered a minor. This is the case even when you decided to leave the city or state because most reports are entered into the NCIC which is a national database for those reported missing/runaway. It will stay active until you are either found or turn of age.

Your parents may give you permission to live with another family (ie. your aunt), but without getting an official document from the court they would still be legally responsible for you. Which means that your parents can also take away that permission at any given moment and take you back home to live with them once again. So that can be an option for you if you feel like your parents might respond well to you living someplace else and cool down from the constant fighting. Maybe coming up with a solid plan about what you’re planning on doing, how everything is going to work, and any miscellaneous things could be helpful in them seeing how much work you have put into this plan.

Hope that this information help and best of luck.
    Last edited by ccsmod8; 08-08-2017, 02:47 PM.

Guest replied
    I'm 16 turning 17 in January. I'm getting tired of the way I'm getting treated at home. my aunt said I could move in with her but I don't want to get her in trouble. is there anyway I could move in with her while I'm 16 and without parents permission since she's family ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hey,

Thanks for reaching out. You don't deserve to be abused. Based on what you shared it sounds like you are interested in becoming emancipated. Usually being removed from your home by police or CPS would be the way to be out of your mom's care. Other than that, legally, emancipation is also an option if your state offers it. We are not legal experts but here is some general information about emancipation. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I'm 15 and in an abusive household. My mom threatens me everyday and she once physically abused me badly. The other day she told me to jump off a pole nd offered me a knife to kill myself with. Is there any way I could move out when I'm 16? I live in Michigan and I want to move in with my grandma. My home life is depressing and I feel I would be happier away from her.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like home life is getting pretty tough living at your dad’s house, with your step-mom and her son. So, were not legal experts, but you mentioned that your parents have joint custody. Being 16, you should be able to decide where you want to live. If your mom was working with a divorce lawyer when your parents separated, it may be useful to ask her to contact them again. They would be able to give you more concrete information on how to move to your moms. We also offer conference calling, so if you wanted to talk to your dad about living with your mom, we could help facilitate that conversation.

You are more than welcome to call into our 24/7 safeline where you can explain a bit more about the situation, there may be other options! We also have an online chatting service, via our website. Our number is (800) 786-2929!

Hope to hear from you soon, NFS

Guest replied
    Hi I'll be 17 next month and I was wondering if I could move from my father to my mother's without any legal punishments, they have joint custody over me but I can't stand him nor his new wife and stepson

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hey, thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are looking to move out of your house, and you are fed up with how things are going at home. That makes sense, and it is normal for people to start to feel a sense of independence as they get older.

While we are not legal experts here, what we can say is most states have a thing called an “age of majority.” What that means is when you reach that age you are legally considered an adult. In most states, the age of majority is 18, but that can vary by state. Since you live in Michigan, you could try calling a legal aid hotline and asking what some of your rights are at your current age, and when you turn 17 or 18. You could also try contacting the non-emergency number for your local police and asking them as well. If you needed help finding these numbers, you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Also, in most states if you are not an adult, you usually need your parents’ permission to go live with somebody else.

It sounds like things are challenging at home right now, but you are definitely not alone. It sounds like you have some supportive friends, and you can always give us a call or go on our website and check out our online chat. Good luck!

Guest replied
    I'm 16 turning 17 in January n my friends mom said it was okay for me to move in with her she has talked to her parents and they approve but my parents won't let me! I've done some pretty bad things at home in because of it they treat me like I'm 2 an I'm fed up with it..i know how to take care of my self I can get a job..i just wanna know if it possible to move out at 16?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X