Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I move out at 17 without parent consent in Michigan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    replied
    Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us about what’s going on at home right now. It sounds like you are in a very scary situation right now and it’s great that you have contacted us for assistance. Hopefully we can provide you with some assistance or resources that will help you and your baby stay safe.

It sounds like things with your stepdad got really intense yesterday and we’re sorry that he said those things to you. We are also sorry to hear that he has made threats against your boyfriend. Nobody deserves to be afraid or feel unsafe when they are at home. It also sounds like your mom is aware of what’s going on at home and even stopped him from hurting you yesterday. It’s great that she was there to help you then; can you tell us more about your relationship with your mom? One option you may have is to file a report with Child Protective Services since your step dad is putting you and your baby into an unsafe environment.

You said that you are 27 weeks pregnant and it sounds like you are concerned about the baby’s health. If you were to leave home, do you have a safe place to go? One of the things that we may be able to help you with is to locate a shelter or other safe place for you. However, since you are still considered to be a minor, they may require parental consent to let you stay there. If you leave home without parental consent, your parents may have the option to file a runaway report with the local police department. We aren’t legally trained here so we can’t say for sure what would happen but it is our general understanding that while a youth is under 18, their parents are still legally responsible for them and their well being. In some states though, if a youth is close to turning 18 they may not take a report from the parent but only the police would be able to tell you exactly what they would do in a situation like that. If you would like to call and talk with them, we can definitely help you out by doing a conference call.

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are a confidential and anonymous hotline for youth. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our online chat services from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    can I move out now im 17 going to be 18 April 25th

The reason why im asking is because the past 3 years since I have been with my boyfriend my parents have been treating me like crap more my step dad and my mom always takes his side because he gets very mean and will yell in your face and push you just be very rude. Well anyways they dont like my boyfriend for the most stupidest reasons they will say hes no good saying he is lazy he is controlling and etc and hes not at all they point out all the flaws in people and since I have been with him my step dad will be so fake to his face but talk crap behind his back saying I f**kin hate him I wish I could go beat his a** and I will not care about it either I mean just yesterday I made a mistake and said something out of anger and he flips out on me say he cant stand me he wants me out of this house the only reason why my stuff aint out is because of my mom and he was saying that my boyfriend is lucky he can control his anger because he would go over there and beat him to death and my boyfriend has done nothing to him...my step dad his pushed me and called me out of my name and tried chocking me but my mom walked in and stopped it...and now im pregnant im 27 weeks I cant let him stress me out and make me sick its not good for my babies health....im scared of being in my own home..so I was wondering if I could move out now.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    replied
    Re: ??????

Hello,
    Thanks for reaching out to us. Sounds like you're going through a tough time and we'll try and help out as best as we can.

It sounds like you're trying to figure out if you're legally allowed to live with the other parent of yours. Do you know if this parent (the one you're trying to go to) has shared custody with the other one? That might be good to know because if they have partial custody they they might have to be careful about other things since they're supposed to be working with the other parent.

And the thing you've heard is somethign we've heard as well. Michigan is one of the tricky states where some of the counties allow 17 year old youth to move out of their parent's house. The best way to find that out is to call the non-emergency police department and see what the "Age of Majority" is in that area.

If you'd like to explore more options and see what else is available for you, please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We're anonymous, confidential and available 24/7. We're here to listen, here to help.

Best,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    ??????

am i able to move out of one of my parents house for the others at 17 or not. i have heard from a friend that the state law says i can and she is going to do it when she turns 17, but i really need to know.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    !7 years old

Hello,
    Thanks for posting,
    It sounds like you have a plan for when you move away from your mom but you are unsure as to what legal problems you or your friend might face if you move out of state at the age of 17.
    Does that sound right?

Unfortunately since NRS is not experts in the law we cannot give you an answer to this particular situation. You can however check with your local law enforcement in your hometown and perhaps from the town in Georgia you plan on moving and get more specific legal information on this subject.
    We are sorry we cannot provide you with the exact information but you are welcome to call our 24hr crisis line at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) if you would like to explore services for legal information and referrals in your area.

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    Take Care

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    17 Years old

Hey im about to turn 17 in march and i want to move from standale michigan to brunswick georgia to live with one of my close friends. Not because im being abused or anything like that just at this point im living with my mom in a motel room with her girlfriend and we have been here for 3 years. I have a job and a house and a lot of things waiting for me in georgia and i was just wondering if my friend that im moving in with or i could get in legal trouble for this? i know that in michigan the legal age of minority is 18 but there is a loop hole in there laws that is at 17 you are an adult by the courts standards so can no longer be charged with laws that only apply to monors such as running away, does that apply to moving out of state? I dont think my mother is going to agree to me moving out and im very scared she will call the cops and get the friend im moving in with in trouble or get me in trouble so please respond as fast as you can.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    replied
    re: Can I move out at 17 without parent consent in Michigan?

Hi

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. Michigan is one of the rare states where it is legal to move out at the age of 17. However this will depend on the county where you reside. One of the best ways to get the most up to date information is to contact your local law enforcement nonemergency hotline. Here is an example of how the police in Barry County, Michigan views minors who have reached the age of 17: http://www.barrycounty.org/YSB/MILaw.pdf. You can contact your local police to determine if the same law applies.

We hope the information provided helps. If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are available 24/7 and can be reached by dialing 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is toll-free, confidential, and anonymous.

We can also be reached via live chat between 4:30pm and 11:30pm CST.

Best Wishes
    ~NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm turning 17 in June. can I move out and in with my boyfriend and his parents with out my parents permission? I live in Michigan and I don't know if I can legally move out

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    replied
    RE: 17 Michigan Parent. Can I move out?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are going through a hard time and are in a potentially dangerous situation. If you are experiencing any physical abuse or feel that you or your daughter at home, we are available 24/7 to help you file a police report or talk you through the process. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

You mentioned that you are considering living with your boyfriend. It is important to keep in mind that in Michigan, the age of majority is 18 meaning your parents could file a runaway report if you ran away. With that said, we have also heard that some local police won’t take runaway reports at age 17 since you are so close to the age of majority. One option is to call your local police station anonymously and ask them this question. You might want to phrase it like “How would you respond to a 17 who left home without permission? Would you accept a runaway report? Would you actively search for the 17 year old?”

If you decide to leave before school is over, the police may search for you at school. That might be a bit of information that is helpful to you.

If you are considering running away, please feel free to call us at any time or contact us through our chat system (4:30-11:30pm CST) through our website (www.1800runaway.org) so we can help make sure you stay safe and know your options. We want what is best for you and your daughter! Good luck.

Team NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    17 Michigan Parent. Can I move out?

I am 17 and live in Michigan (kalamazoo county). I have a one year old daughter. I live with my parents, however, there is a past of abuse and my home life is horrible! I am constantly yelled at an so is my baby. i am still in high school therefore I have no job right now. My boyfriend is wanting me to move in with him to get me away from here. Is there any way I can move out before high school is over?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    replied
    Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are difficult situation right now and it was very brave of you to contact us. Hopefully we can provide you with some resources that may be able to help you out but we are completely non directive so we wouldn’t be able to tell you what you should do.

You mentioned that you are about to turn 17 and no longer want to live at home. Can you tell us more about what’s making you feel that way? It’s great that your friend and their family are so supportive of you; sometimes that can be the most important thing when we are feeling stressed out and frustrated. Is there anyone else that you feel comfortable talking with when you start to feel this way?

Now we aren’t legally trained here so we can’t tell you what would happen if you were to leave home but we may be able to give you a general idea of what could possibly happen. Generally speaking, if a youth is under 18 and they leave home without a parents’ permission, the parents’ may have the option of filing a runaway report with the local police department. Running away is generally considered to be a status offense, which is something that you can’t do when you are under 18 so if the police were to locate you, they may either take you home or take you to the police department. Another thing that may happen is that your parents may have the option of pressing charges of harboring a runaway or contributing to the delinquency of a minor against your friends parents if they find out where you are staying; again, since we aren’t legally trained we wouldn’t be able to tell you exactly what would happen if your parents chose to do this.

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are a confidential and anonymous hotline for youth. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you would like to talk more about what’s going on or if you would like to discuss what options may be available to you. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our online chat services from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Im just bout 17

Im just about 17 and im tired of life at home! i live in Michigan and ill be 17 next thursday. My best friend's parents told me that i could go ahead and live with them if ever need be. but they live in Indiana!! What do I do????!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    replied
    Reply: Can I move out at 17 without parent consent in Michigan?

Thanks so much for reaching out in regards to your situation. It sounds like you are considering leaving your home but you are trying to get information on what legally could happen. While we are not lawyers here and cannot give you specific legal information we can certainly talk through this situation with you. You mentioned that you are turning 17 in December and that is when you are planning to go and live with your boyfriend. If you did end up leaving do you think you would stay in contact with your family or let them know you are safe? It’s good to hear you have a safe place to go if you do decide to leave. While the age of majority in most states, when you can leave home without permission, is 18; we often hear that in Michigan they consider youth adults at the age of 17 which means your parents may not be able to make a runaway report or make you return home if you leave after that age.

One option may be to contact a non emergency line for the police in your area to see how they would deal with the situation. Because they are the ones that would make a runaway report or respond to that they would be able to tell you specifics for your area. If you would like to discuss your situation more in depth please feel free to contact us anytime. You can reach out through our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat that is available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. All of our services are completely confidential and anonymous. There is always someone to listen. Take care and best of luck with everything.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Moving out

Hi, I'm sixteen years old and I'm turning 17 in December. I've gotten in a lot of trouble over the past few years with my parents, nothing illegal just trouble at home. I don't live with my dad anymore only my mom. My dad doesn't know that I've been dating this boy either I've kept it a secret so I wouldn't have to hear him yell at me about it. I have a boyfriend who is turning 20 on the 15th of October he is enlisted in the army and is about to go to western Michigan university. He wants to find an apartment and have me move in with him. I am taking online classes on my own and I'm enjoying it very much. I was wondering if I am able to move out at the age of 17 without parents permission? Also is it legal for me to buy a cell phone and pay for it without them taking it away from me at the age of 17? Do they still have rights to control what I can and Can't do at the age of 17 or no?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    replied
    re??

Hi and thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like home life is upsetting right now and that you aren’t happy with the role that you are in having to take care of your siblings. That must be really frustrating to not have more freedoms and to be treated like a baby sitter. Have you tried talking with your mom about how life at home is causing you to feel depressed? It’s great that your boyfriend is a healthy person in your life and that you are able to talk with him.

While we are not legal experts at NRS, we can tell you that in most states you are a minor at the age of 17 and probably would not be able to move out without your mom’s permission. Is there any chance she would allow you to live outside the home if you talked about it? One thing you can do is contact your local police department through the non-emergency line and ask about laws in your area. You can also call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours a day and we can talk about other options you might have.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X