Can I move out at 17 without parent consent in Michigan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, I'm 15 and in an abusive household. My mom threatens me everyday and she once physically abused me badly. The other day she told me to jump off a pole nd offered me a knife to kill myself with. Is there any way I could move out when I'm 16? I live in Michigan and I want to move in with my grandma. My home life is depressing and I feel I would be happier away from her.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey,

Thanks for reaching out. You don't deserve to be abused. Based on what you shared it sounds like you are interested in becoming emancipated. Usually being removed from your home by police or CPS would be the way to be out of your mom's care. Other than that, legally, emancipation is also an option if your state offers it. We are not legal experts but here is some general information about emancipation. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Take care,
      NRS

• I'm 16 turning 17 in January. I'm getting tired of the way I'm getting treated at home. my aunt said I could move in with her but I don't want to get her in trouble. is there anyway I could move in with her while I'm 16 and without parents permission since she's family ?

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to get into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum, we are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. We do want to say that it must be very hard for you to have to go through all of this. It sounds like a very stressful situation for you at home. Hopefully by supporting you there are other that are reading through this thread that can relate can feel helped as well.

As you have probably read in a lot of other threads, the laws on that specific subject of just leaving home and/or running away vary from state to state. Now we aren’t legal experts, but what generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. Now we have reached out to several police departments over the time and they all say that it doesn’t matter if you’re going to be 17 or close to turning 18 years old, that they will still take a runaway report because you are still considered a minor. This is the case even when you decided to leave the city or state because most reports are entered into the NCIC which is a national database for those reported missing/runaway. It will stay active until you are either found or turn of age.

Your parents may give you permission to live with another family (ie. your aunt), but without getting an official document from the court they would still be legally responsible for you. Which means that your parents can also take away that permission at any given moment and take you back home to live with them once again. So that can be an option for you if you feel like your parents might respond well to you living someplace else and cool down from the constant fighting. Maybe coming up with a solid plan about what you’re planning on doing, how everything is going to work, and any miscellaneous things could be helpful in them seeing how much work you have put into this plan.

Hope that this information help and best of luck.
      Last edited by ccsmod8; 08-08-2017, 02:47 PM.

• So I'm 16 I turn 17 in October I really want to move away from my parents I want to move in with my grandmother and my disabled aunt I already help out with my aunt as a personal assistant but at home I feel unwanted I feel like my mom and step dad are trying to rip me away from my family members that I'm close to they constantly downgrade my grandmother and other family members I'm very unhappy at home I my step dad always down grades me tells me I'm gonna mount to nothing in life and I hate him for it I don't want to be around them any more they stress me out.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much for writing us at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re here to listen, and here to help. We are so sorry to hear that things are difficult for you at home with your mom and stepdad. It is wonderful that you have so many forms of support through your extended family members such as your aunt and grandmother and that you are able to be there for your aunt in need. Have you considered asking your mom whether you could take a break and stay with your relatives? Likewise, it seems like you have a lot on your mind, and it could be helpful to communicate how you feel with your parents. You deserve to feel valued and you do not deserve for your relatives to be talked about around you.

As you may know, if you were to leave home without your mom’s permission, your parents could file a runaway report. This is because running away at your age is a status offense. Additionally, those who help runaways could be charged with harboring a runaway. At 17, it varies by how your local police department chooses to handle this. The best way to find out is to call them and ask their policy.

We would love to provide you with more individualized supports and to talk with you more about your situation. Feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or 1-800-786-2929, since we are available 24/7 or chat with us. One service that you may want to use is our conference call option. We can help facilitate your conversation with your parents through a three way conference call.

We hope to hear from you soon,

NRS

• Can I legally move out when Im 17?
    My parents adopted me and two of my sisters back when we were little, but for at lest, the last 5 years its been rough. Its emotionally abusive, mentally abusive. An all i wanna do is walk away from the situation. Im a good kid i dont get introuble. Ive got great grades, i could even graduate early if i wanted. (im a senior) Ive called my local law enforcement, local sheriffs office an they told me that i can move out legally they cant do anything about it, but my parents are still responsible for me. So if i get arrested (which im not planing on it), or something medically wrong happens to me, their still responsible. Ive talked to my parents an tryed to see if we could figure out a solution together for all the fights an else what but they refuse to listen to anything i say. In their eyes their the only ones that matter along with their opinions. Even my friends see the abuse. But as soon as someone comes over to my house my parents make everything seem like everything's OK. But when they leave... An i just want to leave so i can worry about me an my future. But i want to know, is it 100% legal for me to move out without parent consent when i turn 17.

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to get into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum, we are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. We do want to say that it must be very hard for you to have to go through all of this. It sounds like a very stressful situation for you at home dealing with all the emotional abuse. Unfortunately that kind of abuse it typically harder to prove so from what we hear, child protective services don’t usually react. Hopefully by supporting you there are other that are reading through this thread that can relate can feel helped as well.

As you have probably read in other threads, the laws on that specific subject of just leaving home and/or running away vary from state to state. Now we can’t stress enough that we aren’t legal experts, but what generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Now we have reached out to several police departments over the time and they all say that it doesn’t matter if you’re 17 or close to turning 18 years old, that they will still take a runaway report because you are still considered a minor. In this case, it sounds like you have already talked to the police yourself and has told you that you can leave just that your parents are still reasonable for you. That does fit some other information that we have heard as well, the fact that though a police officer doesn't take a report it doesn't make it legal for you to leave home before you turn 18.

Only you know when it is time to leave and when it’s not. So if you have already been told by the police that you can leave, then that’s a choice that you are going to have to make on your own using that information.

• Hello” I’m 17 years old and every since I was 13 my parents were been abusive only my dad though and my mom would just keep letting Him abuse me so i turned 17 on the tenth of this month and I desided that I want to runway I know where I’m going and everything but how should I tell my mother I’m leaving because I’m unhappy at home and depressed and I just wanna have a free moment with her tellin me I won’t be nothing and that I’ll drop out of school even though when I run away I’ll be going to school and working so pls help me

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you’re going through a really difficult time right now. You don’t deserve the abuse that is happening to you.

If you’d like to talk to someone specifically about the abuse you’re dealing with, Child Help is a great resource. The phone number for their National Child Abuse Hotline is 1-800-422-4453.

About talking to your mom - have you considered having another adult present when you talk to your mom? A trusted relative, school teacher, coach, or guidance counselor can help you explain to your mom what you’re feeling and why you want to leave.
      If that is not an option, we offer a conference call service at NRS. We can have a three-way phone call with you and your mom and help guide the conversation so it is the most productive it can be.

It sounds like you have carefully considered what you will do if you run away, but if you’d like to talk more about what that will look like, please feel free to call us.

If you’d like to call us to talk about your options, our lines are open 24/7. You can reach us at 1-800-Runaway.

• I’m 16 and I don’t know what to do. I live in Michigan and my dad is an utter psycho. Usually it’s okay but every couple of weeks, like a cycle, he just goes ballistic At the smallest or most insignificant of things. He constantly threatens to kick me or my brothers out of the house if we do something he perceives as disrespecting him or if we don’t like that he constantly screams, breaks things around the house or threatens to beat us up when he is in these moods. I am just tired of it. I can’t do it anymore, especially since both my brothers leave for college next year and I know like clockwork he will continue to have these moods but there will be no one strong enough to combat him if he becomes violent, because it’ll just be me, my mom and my dad at home. Like he has said countless times ‘If you don’t like it leave’ I want to leave this place but I have nowhere to go. And I am also pretty sure if I ever did try to leave they would contact the police in a flash. What can I do to get out of this situation but still attend my school? He also works at my school as head of discipline so things do not look good for me.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough time, but we are here to support you and help you in any way we can. That sounds so hurtful to be treated that way by your dad. That sounds stressful to have your brothers moving out soon.

We want you to know that no one deserves to be treated that way by your dad, and you should not have to go through that. Just so you’re aware, your dad is not actually able to kick you out of the home. He has a legal obligation to care for you until you are a legal adult. Also, if you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the things you’ve been experiencing. You mentioned that your dad works as the head of discipline at your school, but if you’re able to video or audio record the things your dad has been doing, it may be easier to prove to others what’s been going on. If you want more information about reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 or you could call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online. Also, if you ever feel that you are in danger, you could call 911 for immediate help.

You mentioned that you were concerned about being able to stay in school if you leave home. You have a right to receive schooling despite your situation through the McKinney Vento Act. If you have questions about this law, you could contact the National Center for Homeless Education Helpline at 1-800-308-2145.

It sounds like you were considering leaving home, but that you were concerned about where to go. If you do decide to leave home, it may be helpful to think through a specific plan to make sure you stay safe. You could think about where you would go and how long you would stay away from home. You could consider how you would pay for food, clothing and other necessary supplies. You could also form a plan for how you would stay in school, how you would pay for any transportation, and what you would do if you feel that you’re in danger. If you want to talk through a plan more, you could call us or chat with us online.

If you haven’t already, you could consider reaching out to a trusted adult, relative, worker/teacher/counselor at your school for help and support. If you haven’t, you could also consider talking to your parents about how you’ve been feeling or having someone else help you talk to them.

There are also many resources that could help you find a safe place if you’re in need, talk through what’s been going on, or help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us or chat with us online.

Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

• I'm 16, 17 in September and my home life is honestly terrible. My mother's boyfriend constantly talks ******** to her about me and tells her I don't deserve to do things or get things. I've heard him doing it. He keeps me fairly isolated from her because he's always, always around her and in the rare moments we're alone, he calls her on her phone and talks to her. He talks ******** to me and degrades me to the point where I want to kill myself and while I'm not going to try it. It's a bad headspace to be in. I've told my mom these things and she immediately jumps to his defense and tells me that I need to be nicer to him. I have a boyfriend who turns 17 eleven days before I do, and we've been talking about moving in together. His parents give him permission to leave at 17, and I haven't even mentioned anything of the sort to mine, because they'll shut me down immediately.
    I lived with my dad until August, where they went to court for custody of me and I chose to go with my mother, with the option to move back with him if I wanted to. And I've tried. I faxed the friend of the court a letter like they told me I had to five months ago,and never got any response. My dad finally filed some paperwork and within a month he had a court date with my mother, and got visiting right back after she didn't let me and my sister go to his house for 2 months. Which might not seem like a long time, but when you are constantly bombarded, it's an eternity. I have three younger siblings, a full sister and two half brothers, and all three of them treat me like ******** because they see my parents do it. My sister gets a lot of it too, though. She just turned 15 and has the biggest attitude problem I've ever seen. I'm quite and introverted. I don't talk back, I don't slam doors, I don't stomp or roll my eyes or anything.
    I do not know what else to do. I think I can manage another 6 months like this, but if I have to wait until I'm 18 I'm going to enter adulthood with no money, no job, which I haven't gotten because I have no transportation since we live in the middle of nowhere, and I'll have to give 3/4 of my rent to my mom and her boyfriend for rent AND buy my own food. I don't have a cell phone; they tell me they'll smash any device I bring into their house. I don't know what to do at this point and in openly considering leaving when I'm 17.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      We appreciate you taking the time to contact us! It can be difficult to open up and share your story, and we are more than happy to help you in every way possible.
      We completely understand where your frustration is coming from, and applaud you for handling it responsibly and respectfully. You are taking matters into your own hands, which is a very mature thing to do. Since it does sound like you are wanting to leave home, the next steps would be to figure out where you can legally go. You are a minor, so with a parent’s or legal guardian’s permission, you are free to live elsewhere. If you are comfortable, you might want to reach out to your father either about being able to live with him instead of your mother, or for permission to live elsewhere. Remember that you can give us a call any time at 1-800-786-2929 to further discuss these options or formulate a plan that you are comfortable with.
      We want you to know that you are not alone. We hear you and your voice matters to us. It can be difficult dealing with all these emotions, especially when you are being treated unfairly at home like you described; if these feelings become too much to handle, you can also always call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Best of luck moving forward, and we hope to hear from you soon!
      Stay strong,
      NRS

• i am 17 years old will be 18 on september 13th I need out of mu house just too much rule and junk and I wanna move in with my best friend her hubby and there kid in a good apartment in the same town, but my parents wont let me so cam i legally move out without my moms consent? Or if she called the police would I get in trouble

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like rules at home have become unreasonable for you and you would like to move in with a friend and their family. You questioned if you can legally move out without your mothers consent. We are not legal experts but generally speaking a person is not considered an adult until they are 18. This means that their guardians are legally responsible for them. So the parent is required by law to provide for the youth (food, shelter, school, etc.) If they fail to do so then they can face legal consequences. This also means that the youth cannot live anywhere else without parents’ consent. There are exceptions to this rule but those include getting the court involved such as emancipation or Child Protective Services removing the parent’s rights. If you were to leave home without her permission she does have the right to report you as a runaway to the police. But since you are 17, at this point it is up to police officers discretion if they would peruse looking for you. IF you have more questions about runaway laws in your state it would be best to contact your local non-emergency police.
      Again, thank you for reaching out. We hope this information helps. If you have any follow up questions please give us a call. 1-800-786-2929
      We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think.
      Last edited by ccsmod0; 04-07-2018, 03:25 PM.

• My mom is a living hell im 15 she wont teach me how to drive and she always takes my money when i ask for her money she says no. She has anger issues every small thing she takes to the heart even family notices this people way older than me. i love my mom but im ready to out at 17 we just cant get along ready to move our can i?
    ​​​​

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      After reading your post we found that there are some similarities that you share with other users. We have attached a response that we have given to another user that we think might be useful for you as well. We care about you and want you to be safe. If you have any follow up questions please feel free to give us a call anytime. 1-800-786-2929
      [QUOTE re: I'm about to be 17 and need to know all the facts before fully move out
      Hey there,
      Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it sounds like you are ready to leave your home and start your own life.
      We want you to know that we are not legal experts here, which means that we are only able to speak about your situation in general terms. In most states, you would still be considered a minor which means that if you were to leave, your parents are allowed to contact the local police department and file a runaway report. If a report is filed and you are found, typically you would be forced to return home. Another factor you may want to keep in mind is that the person allowing you to live with them could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway, the charges for that can vary from fines to jail time. As we mentioned, we are not legal experts here. If you wanted more accurate answers, we would encourage you to reach out to your local police department and ask some general questions. If you wanted to know more information about what you can do, legally, we would encourage you to reach out to us and we will be able to point you in the right direction.
      We hope that we were able to help you think a little more about your options and brainstorm some more with you, if you feel like you would still need some more support or go through some more options, please feel free to reach out to us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we are here 24/7. We also have a live chat service which is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.
      Stay strong,
      NRS
      QUOTE]

• Hi, I'm 17 and I am not in a very healthy living environment. My parents make it seem like I have to earn the right to eat and make fat jokes about me non-stop. They are also homophobic, even though I am a Lesbian, and make gay jokes referencing them towards me. I no longer feel comfortable staying at "Home". It's like the moment they see my face or hear my voice something switches and all they do is yell. There are no conversations in my household, only screaming matches. I also suffer from untreated depression and anxiety. I don't believe I can hang on much longer

Comment

• ccsmod16
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2014

Hi there, thanks so much for reaching out! It sounds like home is really a stressful environment. You do deserve to be accepted by your family and do not deserve them mocking your weight or appearance.
      We support you and are here to help!

As far as leaving home, 18 is the legal age in most states when you can leave home. Leaving before that, your parents may be able to file a runaway report; however, it depends on the police department and if they accept run reports for 17 year olds and how they handle the situation if they do accept the report. You can call your local police station and ask anonymously about how they handle runaway reporting. We can also conference call with you if you call us here:1-800-786-2929.

You deserve support. We are here 24/7 to chat live online and on the phone. There are also other resources for you too: LGBT National Youth Talkline: 1-800-246-7743 and It Gets Better Project at itgetsbetter.org.

We are non-judgmental and you know your situation best, however, we do have another resource you may benefit from regarding what you mentioned about some of your family's comments. If you feel it is not a good fit, you know yourself and your situation best so please do what is best for you: National Eating Disorder Association 1-800-931-2237, nationaleatingdisorders.org.

We are here 24/7. Please call anytime: 1-800-786-2929.

You are strong and brave for reaching out!
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I'm currently in Portland Oregon, I am 17 have a job. My job needs me to go to Idaho for 10 day's. Do I need my parents permission to go, because they are not letting me and it will cost me my job.

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your email to us here, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

Legally you are a minor and under your guardian’s supervision until you are 18 or are emancipated by a court of law. If you decide to leave home before then your guardians could file a runaway report on you. Running away is not a crime, but it is a status offense. We have legal aid resources in our database. While we’re not law experts, we can try to find one in your area, there may be legal ways for you to be able to move out. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. However, the chatting service is not open 24/7. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Be safe, NRS

• hi im 17 I live in michigan and lost both my parents and brother but lost my mom 8 months ago my grandparents have legal guardianship but I live with one of their friends because their too strict but I want to move out where I live now because my depression is getting a lot worst where I'm having suicidal thoughts and its even scares the ******** out of me but the people I live with are really good people except they make my pay 1k a month just for food and a small room but just living here doesnt make me happy so I have a friend whose mom will let me live there free I would just have to pay for my groceries ill be a senior next year but ill be graduating a semester early I just wanna know if i can move to my friends with no permission without the cops being able to get involved

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, we are really glad that you contacted us with all that you are going through and feeling and experiencing, know that we are here to listen and help. Losing both of your parents and your brother, and losing your mom only 8 months ago, it is understandable that you are experiencing deep depression and suicidal feelings. Please know that we are here for you to help you talk about feeling suicidal and depression and all the losses you’ve suffered. Another resource is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

Losing your father, brother, and mother and then having to live with your strict grandparents, then their friends (for pay), this is another loss for you to cope with. We can help you sort through some of this. We are so sorry for all that you are going through and can imagine how hard it’s been for you.
          Specifically to your question: in Michigan, the age of majority is 18 so until then, if your grandparents choose to, they can get the cops involved. We may be able to help there if you’d like. One way is that we could facilitate a conference call between you and one of your grandparents; we would act as your advocate in talking the matter over and perhaps gain their permission. We may also be able to locate a legal referral for you, or simply talk over the options that you do have. We are very glad that your friends want to help you. You deserve friends like that. You deserve to be treated with dignity and understanding.

You’ve found us, and that is great. The part of you that is scared of suicidal thoughts is the part of you that wants to live, and lives in hope that you won’t always feel like this and so you have been so brave already and pushed that bravery even more to reach out for help. Please feel proud of yourself for that. You deserve to live and have your life and to be treated with kindness. We hope that you will call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here for you by phone 24/7. We also have a chat service through the website for availability.If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Take care and stay strong!

NRS

• I don’t live with my parents and I’m 17 years old. I just got into a bit of trouble regarding backing into a gas pump and at my hearing the judge sentenced me to live with my mother again. The law in Michigan states that its legal to live on you’re own at 17 so I guess I just have questions... help???

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear that you got into trouble while driving. We are not legal experts so you want to contact legal aid or your local juvenile court because we can only give you general information. It may be best if you contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat so that we can assist you with additional questions.

• Living in This House is Killing Me - 2018

I live in Michigan with both of my parents. I have 3 siblings and I am the oldest. I'm 16 and will be turning 17 this year in December. I've always wanted to leave home. It's not healthy living in this house. At first I thought it was just me who was noticing this but after talking with my cousins about the problems i have in this house they also noticed it. My parents are very lazy at times and I believe because they been smoking for to long it has really caused them to be delusional. I know that every mother sometimes or most of the time act like they know everything, and you can usually talk to them about it. Not my mother. If I every just try to talk to her about something she cuts me off quickly and would threaten me if I talk back. Not like rude talking to her but just trying to explain myself or if i try talk to her. She will feel like I'm attacking her with words. She would always say that she's the adult and im the child, and that what she says i must do even if i don't like it or agree with it. She will tell me to stop thinking I'm to old to get my ass beat, and that she will kick my ass if I don't do something she says. My mother is the only one working and my dad is usually play his game, but says he's looking for a job. So with that being said we are kinda poor. Most of the time we have to eat sandwiches for breakfast lunch and dinner. Sometimes we don't even eat. So i can understand that my mom is very stress right now. But she doesn't have to take her anger out on me and my siblings. Most of the time i am the one who cooks and clean for everyone while both of my parents are in their room smoking cigarettes and weed all day. I understand my mother doesn't wanna be the only doing something around here. But she has a husband upstairs that can be helping her. I don't get grades in school because of the way i been living. Our hot water tank is broken so we have to boil hot water. And our washer and dyer is also broken so we have to hand wash our clothes. I don't have enough time to explain more of my problems. But I really want to leave this house quickly as possible. My friend parents are willing to take me if I need a place to stay, same for my boyfriend parents. But I wanna know if i do leave my parents house to live with my friend or boyfriend, are they able to come pick me up and drag me back home or force me to stay in the house?

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that things have been so difficult at home with your parents. It sounds like you’re looking to move out and live with either your friend’s or your boyfriend’s family, and you have some questions about whether you would be able to live there indefinitely. We’re not legal experts, but we can share basic information.

If you are considered a minor in Michigan, and you leave home without your parent’s consent, they would have the right to report you as a runaway to their local police department. As far as we understand it, although it’s not illegal to run away, it is considered a status offense in some states. Whether the police will actively look for you depends on how your local police department chooses to handle the situation. Sometimes they will look, sometimes they won’t. If they do look for you and find you, they would bring you back to your parents or have your parents pick you up. To get specific information about what might happen in your situation, you would need to speak with someone familiar with the laws in your state, like your local police department. The best way to reach them is at their non-emergency number, and if you need finding their contact info, or even if you want someone to help you call out to them, you’re welcome to call us.

We’re so sorry to hear that the situation at home has gotten so challenging. You deserve to have a safe place to stay, with warm running water and in an environment where you can discuss things without being threatened. Please know that we are here for you. You can reach us 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), as well as every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
      x
      x
      Working...
      X