Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I move out at 17 without parent consent in Michigan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    17 and u want to live with step mom and dad

I am 17 and i don't want to live my own home anymore I live in Florida but live is no going well I want to move back to new Jersey with my big sister

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    RE: experience

Hey, thanks for reaching out and sharing your experiences on our forum. It sounds like you went through a tough situation back when you were 17. We are not legal experts. Laws are different from state to state, county to county, city to city. In some areas, police might not take a runaway report for youth who are close to turning 18, or they might take a report but not force a youth to return home. How a local police department responds to the situation can vary drastically, and everyone's situation is different. If you have any questions about your own situation or you need help, give us a call! We are here to listen and support you however we can.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    experience

I don't know where most of you are getting your information. In the state of Michigan you can legally leave home at 18. I know from experience. When I was 17 my dad told me to get out of his house. Then called the cops and told them I ranned away. Lies. The cops sent me back to my parents house and told me that I can legally leave at 18 or go to the courts and ask for a divorce from my parents.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Can I move out at 17 without parent consent in Michigan?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We thank you for your response to one of our posters however since we are not legal experts we do suggest that any minor seeking legal information consider contacting their local police department or legal aid resources in regards to questions such as majority of age.

FYI: in most states the legal age to be considered an adult is eighteen.
    If someone were to leave home without parental consent even at the age of seventeen their parents could opt to file a runaway report. Once the report is filed the police could detain the youth or return them home to their parents.

Most states have laws against aiding or harboring someone reported as a runaway.
    This might mean any person found to be deliberately aiding or harboring a runaway could face legal action.
    Once again we suggest contacting the non- emergency number of the local police department or legal aid resources to get specific legal information.

It's not always an easy option for some to contact the police that being said NRS offers conference call services to our callers. We can reach out to law enforcement or legal aid resources on the caller’s behalf. We can then inquire about the runaway laws in the caller’s city and state while the caller listens in.
    Does that make sense?

If you have any questions about the information offered here you can reach NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit www.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

Take Care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My boyfriend lives with three of his friends they live in a house they are all old enough and capable to support themselves they all are really good people they dont do drugs or anything bad. And i want to move in with them but im only 17 i dont have a horrible life just depressed at home alot and im really just a built in babysitter because my mom has three toddlers i dont mind babysitting but i cant be their mother... i have a job but am doing online schooling, can i legally move out without having to pay a ton of money right now?

Yes you can legally move out without paying anything to the court. You are considered a legal adult at age of 17.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    RE: Please help

Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out. It can be very hard to ask for help and it was very brave of you to do so. It sounds like you are in a very frustrating situation with your mom.
    If you were to move out when you turn 17 your mom may be able to make a runaway report. We're not legal experts, but generally this means you won’t be in any legal trouble, but the police will most likely bring you back into her custody. It also means she may press charges against whoever you stay with. They can be in legal trouble for “harboring a runaway.” You may want to check with your local police department to see what their policy is.
    Thanks again for reaching out. It can be very difficult to do so but it is great that you are. If you ever have any more questions please feel free to call our hotline. We are here 24/7 365 days a year.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Please help

Me and my Best friend got in trouble at my house and we are not allowed to hang out or anything anymore I don't have a car and my mom won't let me leave the house and I'm gonna be 17 in November. Her parents said that I can live there if I need to. When I turn 17 can my mom do anything about me moving out?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    replied
    RE: Can I move out at 17 without parent consent in Michigan?

Hello there,
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS for help with your situation. We are here to help as much as we can. Your situation sounds difficult and it seems like you feel running away is your only option. It must be difficult having your parents not allow the father of your child be a part of your childs birth and around the family. Although we are not legal experts at NRS, having a child won’t change anything unless you were neglecting or abusing your baby. You are the legal guardian of your baby, therefore, unless there are other circumstances (ie abuse/neglect) going on no one can take your baby from you. We would like to remind you that although you are able to leave your home at age 17, you will still be unable to sign legal documents such as rental agreements, school information, insurance, etc. Where will you and your boyfriend live and how will you survive once your baby is born? Those are a few things to think about if you decide to run away. Your situation sounds stressful and knowing your baby is about to be born, making a less stressful environment for your baby seems to be what you are trying to accomplish. You can call NRS 24/7 if you want to talk further about possible options for you and your new family. We hope to hear from you again and good luck with your new baby!
    Best,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Run away

I am 17 years old and pregnant. I am due any day now but my parents won't let my boyfriend (the babies father) around. I want to runaway after the baby is born and live with my boyfriend, will me having a baby change anything? In Michigan it's legal to run away at 17 but I don't know if my baby will make things different

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    replied
    re: Daughter issue

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us. We’re glad that we are a resource that comes to mind in this time of crisis. It seems like you have been going through a pretty tough time with your daughter, we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help in the best way that we can.

We also want you to know that we are not legal experts here, which means that we are only able to speak in general terms about these circumstances. In most states, because your daughter is still a minor, you would be able to file a runaway report. If a report was filed and she was found, she would typically be forced to return home. It seems like you are looking for parenting advice and ways to deal with your situation. There is a hotline that is ran by parents of runaways for parents of runaways, they are there to support you and to help brain storm through your situation, their hotline is named Team Hope and can be reached at 1-866-305-4673.

We hope that we were able to let you know a little more about what we do and explain our services. We want you to know that our lines are open 24/7 and we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat program that is available every day from 4:30 PM until 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Daughter issue

My family just moved to another state for a job. My middle daughter is 16, 17 in October hates it here. She really hasn't given it achance. She has been in high school 2 weeks and will not go back. She wants to move back to the school she came from, has even set up her friend to let her. Parent has said that it was ok if she came and lived there to finish school. What to do???? I don't feel good about it, but she fights everything, head strong and will not listen. I feel like she will regret this decision but so feel it may teach her a lessen. I don't know what is best
    Is it even legal to let her. Michigan

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod14
    replied
    Re: moving out at 17 in michigan.

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a tough time lately and we are sorry to hear about this. We’re here to help.

We’re not legal experts unfortunately so we can’t say for sure what would or would not happen regarding your situation. Generally speaking, if you leave before the age of 18 without consent from legal guardians, they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made, and the police find you, they would just bring you back home. Running away is not a criminal offense, it’s a status offense. However, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring, which is a criminal offense.

It’s great that you have a support system elsewhere that would provide a safe place with you and your dog. We’re not here to tell you what you should or should not do, we’re just here to help keep you safe. If you have further legal questions, or would like to clarify what it’s like in your state, you can call your local police department and just ask hypothetical questions. You do not have to give identifying information do this.

Please do call or chat with us if you would like to talk further. We’re here to listen and here to help.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    moving out at 17 in michigan.

I don't want to live at my mothers house anymore and my dads out of the question. My question is am I able to move out without it being considered harboring a run away. The place I'm planing on going to is willing to help me get a job and providing a better house hold for my dog and I. Do I need parents consent to move out? What are the laws in Michigan about moving out at 17?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    replied
    re: Almost 17

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it sounds like you are going through a pretty tough time.

We want you to know that we are not legal experts here, which means that we are only able to speak to you in general terms about your situation. If you would like someone to talk to and to kind of talk through your options and see what going to live with your dad might look like, please feel free to give us a call. We are here 24/7. We also have a large database with referrals throughout the country, we have many legal aid referrals. If you would want to know the more legal issues of your situation, you are able to contact a legal aid and ask some general questions.

We hope that we were able to let you know a little more about what we do and explain our services. We want you to know that our lines are open 24/7 and we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat program that is available every day from 4:30 PM until 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Almost 17

Hi, i am about to be turning 17 in the next few months and i have ha a really rough time with my mom and step dad at home were constantly argueing im always to blame for things and constantly getting introuble with them and mind you not i dont do anything to get into trouble its just how they are but im not happy living with them and i have home set up for when i do turn 17 that my boyfriends family will take me into their home but my mom threatends me that she will sign off costady to my dad who i have not seen in almost a year and do not have a good relationship with either and not sure if when i do try to move out that i will be forced under my moms care or my dads.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X