Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16 running away from Utah to a state were it is not illegal to run away??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey.. im 15 i honestly dont want to live in the house i live in because i am verbaly abused by my mom and brother my dad is in the middle and dosent help or see my side of things. i want to go and live with my friend and her parents. but my parents wont let me leave they keep telling me if i leave they will take me to the hospital and have me imited for 6 months.. please help i dont know what to do i cant take this verbal abuse anymore they make me feel like everything is my fault... ive talked to my friends parents about it and they keep telling me to go and talk to my counsler at school but im really really scared. what if they call home and i get a lot of crap for talking to them about my home life.. please get back to me i need help. did i meantion that they took all my electronics away because i have a girlfriend.. so oi can only check this when im at school and on the computers please please help me..

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi! Thank you so much for reaching out, it sounds like you have a lot of good questions. First of all, we are so sorry to hear that you are being treated unfairly at home. No one should feel unsupported and blamed by their family, so it is completely understandable why you want to leave. You are strong for enduring it for as long as you have.
      We aren’t legal experts here, but we generally know that as a minor, you have to get permission from your parents to live elsewhere. And because it sounds like you have planned a place to stay if you were to leave, you may want to consider sitting down with your parents and explaining to them how you feel and why you want to live elsewhere. If this sounds difficult, keep in mind that we have a conference calling service here where one of our trained crisis line workers can help mediate a call between you and your parents to try to get a productive conversation going. Just call in and ask about it! You also mentioned seeing a counselor; typically, school counselors are required to keep the information that is discussed between you private, so they would not be able to call your parents about anything unless you disclosed something that is harmful to yourself or another student.
      As always, we are here 24/7 to listen if you want to discuss your options further; we are 100% confidential and would love to talk to you more! Our number is 1-800-786-2929. Best of luck to you going forward!

I am 17 yrs old in the state of Utah, is it legal for me to runaway

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help, We are not legal experts so we can only provide you with general information. In the state of Utah the legal age to leave home without parental consent is 18. Running away isn't illegal so you wouldn't get arrested. It is whats known as a status offense, which is something that you aren't supposed to do because of your age. If you were to runaway, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Although running away isn't against the law, if you were to stay with a friend they could get charged with harboring a runaway. However, some police do not accept runaway reports for 17 year old's. You could contact your local police through their non emergency number to ask about their runaway policy. You could try asking your guardian if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. If you feel unsafe at home, you could contact CPS. You may also want to consider looking into emancipation laws for the state of Utah. We hope that this information helps, if you have any questions please contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X