Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16 running away from Utah to a state were it is not illegal to run away??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 running away from Utah to a state were it is not illegal to run away??

Hi I'm 16 years old and I'm not really going to give that much info about my life... But I have been planning to run away to a state where it is not illegal to run away.. Will I still get in trouble?... And I hear you guys keep telling other teens that they should call there police department... But they can track calls and tell your parents that you called them right?? I just want to know if I would get in trouble with police... I have a really good home to live in if I do runaway and I would be able to switch schools and go to a school in the other state. I just want to know what might happen to me... I have never ran away before but I am seriously planning this. Please help..

Thank you for reaching out to us and asking for some answers. Unfortunately, we aren’t legally trained so we wouldn’t be able to tell you exactly what would happen if you did run away but we can try to find you some numbers of people who can. It was very brave of you to contact us and we are glad that you did.

You said that you are 16 and running from Utah to a different state where it isn’t illegal to runaway. It also sounds like you have a safe place to stay there and plan on continuing school once you get there. Is that correct? You said that you don’t want to talk a lot about what is going on but would you be able to tell us a little more about your situation?

Generally speaking, until you turn 18 years old, you are still considered a minor. So, if you were to leave home your parents or legal guardians would have the option of filing a report with the local police and that report would be listed nationally. So, if you are located or picked up in another state, they may take you home or call your legal guardians to let them know where you are. Again, we aren’t legally trained so the information we do have is very general. Calling the local police is an option because they would be able to provide specifics; unfortunately, we don’t know if they are able to track or locate people who call in. You may also be able to call the police department of the place you are going and ask what they do if they find someone who is considered a runaway.

It sounds like you have a safe place to stay if you do leave home and want to continue with school. That’s great to hear. Do you know how you would enroll in school? Some schools ask for a guardian’s signature on some of the paperwork. There is a list of things that may happen and some things to think about before leaving on our website (http://www.1800runaway.org/youth/nrs_can_help/).

If you would like to talk more about what is going on or to discuss other options may be available to you, please give us a call. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and are completely confidential and anonymous. We also have online chat that is available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week through our website (http://www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Running away

I'm 15 years old and am living in Utah. I've been strongly considering running away. I won't go into details but I've been struggling a lot at home and I just can't live here anymore. I want to start a new life but I'm scared to leave. Will I be arrested for running away? Where can I go? Where can I stay and work? Please answer asap.

Comment

RE: running away

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us and it sounds like you’ve been having a hard time at home. We’re sorry to hear that that’s been going on and we’re here to help. Because we aren’t counselors, we can’t give you advice but we can speak generally. If you decide to leave, your parents can file a runaway report and if you get picked up by the police you will have to be brought home to your legal guardians. You can’t be arrested, as running away is a status offense meaning it doesn’t go on your legal record and for the most part there are usually no legal consequences for it. In terms of where you can go, that differs on the situation. A lot of shelters and transitional living programs will usually only take you with parental consents if you are under 18. Sometimes, if you’re parents are willing to do that for the time being, that may be an option. Another option is a friends, family or trusted adult. However, one thing to know is that if you stay with someone and there is a runaway report filed for you, that person can be charged with harboring a runaway. It’s definitely a complicated situation and while it’s important to stay safe and be in a place you feel comfortable, it’s also important to be aware of the possibilities that may occur.

It sounds like you’re feeling like you’re wanting to leave but are still having some problems maybe thinking about a plan or some options. It might be more helpful to call or chat us as we can talk with you more about the situation and offer support as well as other resources. We can also discuss a plan with you in further detail and learn more about what’s going on. Again, we’re sorry you’re dealing with this and we hope to hear from you soon!

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

help

I've Been Having Some Problems With My Parents For A While. I Live In UTAH And There Is One Question I Want Answered, Is I t Illegal To Run Away From Home In UT. I'm A Cadet In The UTAH Military Academy, And I Don't Want To Give Up My Dream Of Becoming A Marine Corpsman Over Me Running Away. I Still Want To Go To The Academy But Be Free Too. IM Not Being Physically Harmed. But IM Still Having Problems With My parents. Please Reply.

Comment

RE: help

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From what you shared, it seems like things at home may feel tense. It sounds like you may want a little more freedom than what you are getting at home, is that correct? Maybe an option could be to have a sit down conversation with your family about being a little more flexible with rules such as allowing you to have or even earn privileges. You can always call us here 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 to talk about what you are going through as well as explore some ways to improve your situation at home with your parents. We also have several resources such as for family counseling which may also be beneficial for you all. Talking about your thoughts and feelings may be difficult to do on your own but having a third party to mediate conversations can be quite productive and beneficial for everyone.

Regarding your question about running away from home in Utah, we are not legal experts but can speak generally. In most states the age of majority is 18 which means an individual is no longer a minor and has legally become their own guardian. If you are under the age of 18 and you run away from home, your legal guardians have the option of filing a runaway report. Typically what would happen then is that the police may look for you and if they find you they would most likely return you back home. Additionally, any individual that you may be staying with runs the risk of being charged with aiding and/or harboring a runaway. It is often best to reach out to your local non-emergency police department to inquire more about runaway laws.

We hope this helps and wish you the best. We look forward to hearing from you.

Be safe and take care,
            NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

http://www.1800runaway.org/

[email protected] (crisis email)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

help

I'm Replying To The message You Sent Me Earlier. I'm afraid To Talk To My Parents About My Issues With Them So That's Why I Decided To Run Away. IM Afraid To Talk To Them Because They Migh Yell At Me Or Ground Me.

Comment

Planning on Emancipation:

I'm 17, planning on leaving when summer comes, and filing for emancipation, as well as a restraining order against my mother being potentially dangerous, a lier, and potentially manipulative towards me and my father, she hasn't been physically abusive, but she's been emotionally abusive, and has tried to isolate me from friends. I don't feel safe in my house, and want to get out of my house to live with my boyfriend (whom my mother hates), because I don't really know of any family that would stay neutral, refuse to side with her, or be against her.

Comment

Re: Planning on Emancipation:

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things with your mom have been really tough and we’re glad that you contacted us. We’re here to help the best that we can.

So we’re not legal experts, but generally speaking if you run away without permission from your legal guardians, they have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made, and the police find you, they just bring you back home. It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. This can be a somewhat long process, and can be expensive. If you would like to get more information on what this process would look like, you can call us at 1800runaway and we can get local legal resources to you.

It sounds like your mom has been emotionally abusive towards you and it has been really hard, understandably. You deserve to feel safe in your own home. You do not deserve to be abused in any way, by anyone. It sounds like your boyfriend offers you a lot of support which is great to hear. We do want to let you know that in most states, there is a law against harboring a runaway. So if you were to leave home before getting emancipated, and a runaway report was filed, your boyfriend/boyfriend’s family could potentially be charged for harboring you.

If you would like to talk further through your options and plans, please do not hesitate to call us. We’re here 24/7 to listen, talk, and support you.

Good luck and stay safe,
                  NRS

Comment

RE: help

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    I'm Replying To The message You Sent Me Earlier. I'm afraid To Talk To My Parents About My Issues With Them So That's Why I Decided To Run Away. IM Afraid To Talk To Them Because They Migh Yell At Me Or Ground Me.

Thank you for reaching out again. We are sorry to hear that you don't feel comfortable talking with your parents fearing how they may react. That is a common feeling others your age have especially when trying to feel empowered and advocate for yourself. Nobody wants to be yelled at, and it is understandable that you may be avoiding conversations with them. As mentioned before, we are here to help brainstorm some ways to help initiate those conversations. Sometimes writing a letter expressing how you feel may help them understand more. It also helps you let out how you are feeling and allows you to come up with things you would like tell them as well as how you may want to tell them. As mentioned previously as well, family counseling is a great space to feel safe and comfortable opening up about the way you feel. Lastly, we have a conference call service if you and your family were all on board to use. We can be the mediator for you all so that you can begin to explore more productive ways to address concerns and issues you may have within your family system. You would have to initiate this by calling in to our hotline. Please consider calling in to talk to us or utilizing our live chat service to explore some more options specific to your situation and to learn more about our conference call service.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best,

NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here: www.1800runaway.org

Comment

Hi I'm Andy
                      Hello I never been on a site like this before but I'm 17 yrs old and I will be turning 18 on July 4 this year. And my older Brother is planning on taking me back to Utah. But I don't want too so me and my boyfriend who is 18 yrs old talk about leaving together after I turn 18. So I planned on running away after I turn 18 in Utah and I'm graduating this May on a Saturday. Can we both get in trouble me and my boyfriend. I want to leave because my older brother is really mean to me and I hate him. Will my boyfriend get into trouble if I run away with after I turn 18.

Comment

RE:

Hello,
                        Thank you for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear about your situation. We aren’t legal experts but we can speak generally. Your brother can only make you go if he is your legal guardian, or if your legal guardian tells you to go. Also since you plan on leaving after you turn 18, it will no longer be considered running away. Since you will be 18 you will no longer be a minor and will be free to stay where you choose. We hope this helped. You can also reach out to us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We hope to hear from you soon. Good luck.
                        NRS

Comment

andy

Hi its Andy again
                          I have a question but if I runaway will the police get involved after I turn 18 in july . Because my boyfriend is worried about getting arrested if I take off with him. And he is going to pick me up in Utah and we are going to run off together. I'm from Arizona and Im going to be taken to Utah but I'm running away after I turn 18.

Comment

re: andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for reaching out again. It’s great that you’re working on putting together a plan. We aren’t legal experts here, but we are able to speak generally. At 18, you become a legal adult. That means you become legally responsible for yourself and you can decide where you live without anyone else telling you where to live. If you want to go to Utah at 18, then you can go to Utah without the threat of the police getting involved. The police will not charge your boyfriend with anything.

We hope that this is helpful for you. If you have further questions or want to talk through anything else, please feel free to call or chat with us.

Good luck with the move!

NRS

Comment

Andy

Hi again -Andy
                              I'm 17 yrs old and I need help with telling my parents about my boyfriend he is 18 yrs old and I plan on telling them at my graduation reception or my at my graduation how do I tell my parents??????
                              Last edited by ccsmod8; 05-13-2015, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X