Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    im 16 years old right now and live in virginia, i plan to run away at 17 because there is always verbal arguments which happen mostly everyday and feel like they are starting to rise my depression. I always feel like i'm never doing the right thing and that im always a downer , to be honest i am truly a very nice , loyal and respectful kid. I plan to run away to my uncle and aunts house which live close by but thats what im thinking of when i turn 17 in a couple months. Will my uncle and aunts face any charges if my parents find out ? My uncle and aunts understand and communicate with me so much better than my parents which is why i think i should leave. I truly don't know on what to do and i really do need the help. thank you

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hey im currently 16 years old but i turn 17 in 3 months. i dont like the way my family treats me and there is always verbal arguments almost everyday and I cant deal with my parents always fighting with me. to be honest im truly a very good and respectful kid but they make me feel like nothing is perfect for them. i live in Virginia and want to run away to my uncle and aunts house which live not to far. i truly do not know what to do and feel for the most part that i should run away and live with them without my parents knowing. Will there be any charges against my uncle and aunt if my parents find me. I plan to live there until im 18 , and still planning to stay there until i finish college in the future. i really dont know what would happen to my aunt and uncle and i really need help knowing. Thank you

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    replied
    Hey there. Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like things have been tough at home, causing you to think about running away. We're sorry to hear that. There are definitely a lot of factors to consider when thinking about running away, including what might happen once you leave. If you decide to runaway and your parents know where you are, it is possible that they can to force you to come home. It is also possible that the folks who you're staying with could face legal repercussions for allowing you to stay with them. Laws around that vary from state to state, and we strive to keep any identifying information on this forum anonymous, so if you'd like to discuss your situation in more detail, please reach out to us by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at 1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 through both, and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I’m 17 year old in ***** and I want to runaway.. but if I do that can my parents force me to come home or can legal charge be pressed against the people I’m staying with? I’ve heard that I can’t but would like a second opinion.. thanks
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 12-30-2020, 01:08 AM. Reason: Edited to maintain confidentiality

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. 18 is usually the age you are able to leave home without permission from your parents. If you leave home as a minor, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal but is a status offense. This means your parents can ask police to return you home if you are found. There is not universal way that police handle runaway reports and it can vary by state and even county. We suggest that any young person with this question reach out to the local police department for more specific answers. You can anonymously call the non-emergency line to speak with an officer about this.

We hope this information helps. Please don't hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org if you would like to talk more about your situation.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Im 17 i want to run away can they force me to return home?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey,

The last year sounds like it has been a very hard at home. You deserve to feel loved and supported and be able to be your authentic self all the time. We cannot imagine everything you have endured, but we are glad you reached out to us. It takes courage to seek help, whether it be from someone you trust or someone you hardly know. We will do our best to address the topics in your post, but forums can be a difficult platform. We encourage you to reach out to us either via online chat, www.1800runaway.org, or call us through our toll-free, anonymous, 24/7 safeline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We would love to talk with you, get more information, and help you reach the best decision for yourself.

Firstly, we do not want to neglect to address your mentions of depression and suicidal thoughts. It can be very hard to feel wanted and appreciated, without a strong and caring family and support system. It sounds like you have people who make you happy and feel supported, but if you are ever cut off from them again, or just need another ear there are people to talk to. If our thoughts ever get too dark, or you are unable to shake them and feel yourself slipping do not hesitate to call 1-800-273-8255 (Suicide Prevention Lifeline). They are a fantastic organization with great liners and resources to help anyone dealing with depressive or suicidal thoughts. You can also reach out to us. With all the examples you given about how your parents have reacted towards you, another option that you could pursue is abuse reporting. I know that statement can sound terrifying, but we are here to help you through the process if it is a path you wish to take. You can also reach out to ChildHelp, (1-800-422-4453) or www.childhelp.org. This is another great organization that can help provide resources and aid you through the daunting process of abuse reporting.

You also mentioned running away in your post. We are not legal experts, but I would like to give you the basics on what could transpire. Though your father mentioned you could leave, if you ran away, given your age your parents could file a runaway report with the police. How the police respond really varies by department. If they do find you, they will return you to your guardians. The event will not go on your permanent record and there is no threat of juvenile detention for the first time. Those you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor offense. It may result in a fine, but usually nothing more severe. For more specific legal information, you can reach out to your local police department or legal counsel. Like whether a written agreement with your parents would allow you to leave home. If I could relay a central message about all I have talked about it would be that you are not alone. There are groups, organizations, and resources out there to help you make it through this incredibly difficult period. If things at home become more dangerous and you are concerned about your safety please remove yourself from the situation and call the police or someone you trust. Your safety and physical/mental well-being are important. If you find yourself with no where to go, we are here to help find potential resources and shelters.

We are here to listen. Here to help. Stay safe and take care!
    -NRS

Guest replied
    Hi. Im a 14 year old boy that is pan-sexual and have mentally abusing parents that are highly homophobic. One day they went through my phone and took it called all types of slurs ranging from ****, and i dont want to say the others cause that how bad they were.But when they too it i was on punishment for 5 months and then they gave me my phone back but they restarted everything it it including my bank info and all the contacts i had. and then later on through the year they went through my phone again but it was only my mom this time and she took it for 3 or 4 weeks this time and was talking to me saying how the things are bad and saying how liking boys are disgusting and how she didn't want anything to do with me and then she said i could be pan-sexual as long as i dont do it around her. So thats what i did i would only be myself in private. So thats what i did last week on a Wednesday they found out i knew where my phone was and i would sneek on it for school and talk to my friends to make me fell happy and good about my self and then when they went through it this time it was both of them my mom was yelling saying how she didnt want a fag living in her house and my step dad was saying how they **** is nasty and how he has a 4 year old son that looks up to me ( i barely get to see him ) and he was saying how he would beat the gay out of me and was saying how gay people dont get no where in life except for a bunch of aids and told me i could live anywhere else and he could take me there. But me being scared i said i would stay home. so i need help cause since the first time they went through my phone i was suicidal and in a deep state of depression and now im thinking about running away but i wanna wait till my birthday which is on march the 2020 so i could be 15 but i dont know what i should do
    Last edited by ccsmod1; 12-07-2020, 01:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re very sorry to hear that you live in an unsafe home. We are not legal experts, but if you ran away your parents could file a runaway report, meaning you would be returned home if you were located before you turned 18. If you were found after you turned 18 then it would basically be a safety check. When considering running away it can be helpful to ensure that it is the best option. One way to do this would be to talk to a friend or trusted adult, like a friend’s parent. It is also helpful to have a plan. It can be helpful to consider where you are going to stay, how you are going to get there, and what you are going to bring with you. In addition to planning how you are going to run away, it is also helpful to consider what life on your own will be like. For example, will you be going to school, how are you going to provide for yourself, and what are you going to do after your 18th birthday.

Thanks again for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us anytime at our website to talk over your plan to run away. We are available 24/7 and are completely confidential.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello. I have done things that my parents might find out about soon. If they find out, they will hit me and probably even kill me. I am 17, almost 18, and want to run away until my 18th birthday. If i run away and don’t get caught until after i’m 18, will I be returned to my parents?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe and stay strong,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello. I’m in a very bad place with my mom after years of verbal and some physical assault, and I’ve attempted suicide unsuccessfully. I’m considering doing it again, but before I do I want to know what other options I have. I have places I can go to but my mom will consider me a run away if I leave. What will happen if she does ? Can I get in trouble ? If I try to get emancipated what will happen ? What’s the process ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation. It sounds like your parents have been making home dangerous and stressful for you, so it's understandable you would be wanting to leave. Abuse of any kind is never okay and we are sorry to hear the adults you reached out to haven't intervened yet. You deserve to be treated with respect and to feel safe at home. It was very brave of you to speak up about the abuse from your adoptive parents.

While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. If you leave home without permission as a minor, your adoptive parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your adoptive parents know where you are staying or you come into contact with law enforcement, the police would most likely bring you back home.

We know this must be an incredibly tough situation to be in and we truly want to be a support for you during this time. If you want to talk more in-depth about your situation and possible options, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. We are available 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through our live chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Stay safe and good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I am 17 and I’m thinking about running way because my adoptive parents are mentally and physically abusive. Ive tried to get help by talking to my schools consulars, police, and trusted adults, but they always end up never helping like they promised. I currently live in Virginia and I would like to know if I ran away to live with a friend, who is willing to let me stay with them, will the police make me go back? I plan on staying with the friend until I get enough money to take a flight to Missouri to live with my grandparents.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X