More legal Questions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More legal Questions?

A few days ago a young lady showed up at my door and said she ran away from her home in FL where she was assaulted by a family aquaintance who is now in jail. She asked to stay with me untill she could figure out what to do. I asked her to call her father who is her legal guardian and ask his permission to stay here. He said he would "think about it". I asked if he wished to speak to me and if he wanted her returned to him and he refused to speak. We have given him our address and contact information and were awaiting his decision. In the mean time we sought legal help from a number of sources and no one would help us. As far as we knew he did not file a runaway report. Then yesterday a letter came to a school where the young lady is auditing while awaiting her fathers decision, saying that the girl in question was not here with his permission. That a private detective MAY be in thouch with the school. The letter did not say wether he wanted her to return home or not, and despite the fact that he has our contact
    information email phone etc., He never contacted us stating what he wanted to do? We are in CA. I'm not quite sure what to do since we have made no attempt to conceal anything and have been in contact her grandparants also. I've contacted a number of private attorneys and the Legal Services For Children organization and they all had different stories to tell. It's totaly confusing we can't return her to a physically abusive home and at the same time we want to be perfectly legal about this. If her father isn't specifically asking for her return what is the legality here?

Re: More legal Questions?

It sounds like very difficult situation. And that you have a lot of strength to help this youth in need. Although we are not able to give legal advise; we can reprovide legal referrals and also talking with Child Proctective Services/Social Service may help clear up some of the confusion. We are here 24/7 if you would like to call us and discuss options for the youth. Our number is 1800-RUNAWAY.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X