No announcement yet.

Can boyfriend get in trouble?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod10
    commented on Guest's reply

    Thanks for contacting us today, it sounds like your going through a pretty tough time at home right now. We’re glad that you have your boyfriend as a support system.

    It sounds like you’re planning on running away, and asked a couple of legal questions. Unfortunately we are not legal experts at NRS, but we do have some basic knowledge. Running away isn’t illegal, and in most cases if your parents call the police and make a runaway report, you will just be returned home. Sometimes 17 year olds are kind of in a grey areas, some areas still consider them runaways and do return them home, but others will just let them stay where they are, if it’s a safe place. However there could be more consequences for you. People who let runaway youth stay in their homes have the possibility of being charged with harboring a runaway, so your boyfriend could possibly get in trouble. Sometimes parents of runaways have to specifically pursue that option, other times the police automatically have to charge you when they find a runaway. The best way to figure out how your local police department handles harboring a runaway is to call their non-emergency number and ask them. If you do that, then you would probably want to ask how serious of an offense harboring a runaway is. Generally it is a misdemeanor, but you can check to see if that would result in just a fine, or something more.

    Calling the police can sometimes be a scary thing to do on your own, so if you want help making that call you can call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us on our website,, 4:30pm-11:30pm every day. We are totally confidential and anonymous and can make that call to the police and ask those questions for you. We can also talk more about what’s going on, help come up with any other options you guys have, and provide any shelter, counseling, or legal referrals that you may need.

    Good luck!

  • Guest
    Guest replied
    Hey I’m turning 17 and I just need to get out of my house . Things are just horrible . Ide be leaving with my boyfriend . He’s 20 . We are in Texas and we want to go to California. What would happen . Would we be under the Texas runaway laws or California ? What would be the consequences from both states . What would happen to him . Could I still go about freely like a normal 17 year old even tho I don’t live with my parents?

    Leave a comment:

  • ccsmod2
    Thank you for writing in and providing support; it sounds like you have been through a similar situation and we are sorry to hear that. While we aren’t legally trained here, we do have a basic understanding of the law and what you say is sometimes true. When a youth leaves home without their parents’ permission, they may have the option of filing a runaway report with the police. If a youth then leaves with an adult, the adult can get into trouble for harboring a runaway or contributing to the delinquency of a minor. If they were to cross state lines, the charges may be increased but we can’t say for sure what would happen.

    We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would like to talk more or if you have more questions. We also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week if you would like to talk with someone that way.

    We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.


    Leave a comment:

  • hai
    Guest replied
    This is what could happen though:c

    Hey c: I'm Banks. c: Uhm, i'm 15, and i know exactly how you feel.
    But here are some bad things that could happen (to anyone who reads this)
    Since your boyfriend is 17, and you are 14, when he turns 18 it can be considered kidnapping.
    No matter how much "consent" you gave, if you and him just got up and left, in a year or so, when he turns 18, if your parents know the law, they can press charges for kidnapping.
    Thats the only thing i'm concerned about!:3
    I hope you're well! Stay safe please, hun. xo

    Leave a comment:

  • ccsmod8
    RE: Can Boyfriend Get In Trouble?


    Thank you for contacting us regarding your situation. It sounds like home is overwhelming for you and your parents are a trigger because of how they treat you. We are here for your support and to provide you resources that you may find helpful. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now. We can respect your desire to want to leave home although we cannot tell you to leave. We are not in a position to tell you what to do.

    What we do know is that it is not considered a crime to run away from home. It is only a status offense. However, it is considered a crime for someone to harbor you. Your boyfriend and his family may risk breaking the law if they took you in without the consent of your parents. However, it varies from city to city and county to county. It also comes down to police discretion.

    Have you considered calling the police to find out what they might do? It is they who will respond if your parents were to get them involved. They may come looking for you or they may not. It usually comes down to whether or not they have the time because they do not look at running away as a first priority in some cases.

    We are here 24 hours a day for support and can be reached at 1800RUNAWAY if you need us to help advocate for you. Good luck.


    Leave a comment:

  • Unregistered
    Guest started a topic Can boyfriend get in trouble?

    Can boyfriend get in trouble?

    I can't take it at my house anymore. Honest. Things are too much now. I don't feel love or anything when I'm here. I haven't been happy in over a year. I've started cutting and I just want to die constantly. The only time I'm ever happy is when I'm with my boyfriend. He's good to me and makes me feel like I'm not all the horrible and that someone could actually love me. But you see the problem is, I'm 14. And my boyfriend is 17. We've been dating for months now and his family loves me. My family doesn't even like me, and because of some recent stuff they don't like him either anymore. I can not live in my home anymore. I just can't. I will end up killing myself. Family wise, I have my grandmother whose house smells like dog. Icky wet hairy stinky nasty dog. It's unbearable. or my mean uncle and crazy aunt. But boyfriend has offered multiple times to let me come live with him, his mom and step dad are okay with it and everything. My parents would NEVER grant me permission to do that though, they hate me. So if I ran away with him, if my mom did call the cops and have them bring me back home and everything, would HE (or his family) get in trouble in any way?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp