No announcement yet.

Running away, but wants to finish high school

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Im 15 turning 16 in october and i cant deal with life anymore. i want to run away with my girlfriend and start a new life across the country but i want to finish school so we have a shot at getting into good colleges. how can i run away and still finish high school without transcripts? i have about half of it planned out its just school thats the big thing for me


    • ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting us! Tension at home can make it very difficult to live in the environment and it is only natural to want to leave and try to make a better situation for ourselves. We are glad you reached out via a method you felt comfortable, but forum posts have their limitations and we encourage you to reach out either by online chat at or by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). This way we can discuss your particular situation in real time and better help you explore your options. We are available 24/7 and all contact is free and 100% confidential!

      In your post, you say that you can’t deal with life anymore and we are not sure what you mean by that. If you are having suicidal thoughts or behavior, which is not uncommon, just know there are people available and ready to help 24/7. Simply call 9-8-8. You are important and you deserve to be in a supportive environment and live a life that you enjoy.

      Regarding completing school, it is great that you recognize the importance of furthering your education and what to be able to do that wherever you land. Unfortunately, in most states minors need to a guardian’s approval for enrollment into school. We cannot comment on individual schools, you would have to check websites or call schools to know for certain if the need previous transcripts and their other requirements. Most public schools also require proof of residence in the district, which can be another barrier, as at your current age you may find it difficult to secure housing without, again, guardian approval.

      We know this information may feel disheartening, but we want to make sure that before leaving you have all the information and realize the difficulties you may face. Now if you feel physically endangered at home please do remove yourself from the situation and call 9-1-1. It is never okay to feel threatened. Anywhere. We would love to talk to you via the options mentioned above, so please do not hesitate to reach out and we would be happy to discuss in more details what you are thinking. We are here to listen. Here to help.

      Take care and stay safe,

      National Runaway Safeline

  • #77
    I want to run away from home In Texas I’m 17 but plan on moving to Oklahoma with my girlfriends parents . How could I get enrolled in school if it’s a different state ??


    • ccsmod11
      ccsmod11 commented
      Editing a comment
      (If you are in danger for any reason, please call the police or go to your local emergency room.)

      Hi there,
      Thanks for reaching out to us today. We aren't experts on this issue, but according to the McKinney-Vento act all homeless and runaway children have the right to be in school. To learn about how this might look in your state, we encourage you to visit the National Center for Homeless Education ( or call their hotline at 800-308-2145. They would be able to provide you with more relevant information or connect you to someone from your area who can help.

      There are a few legal things you should know before you choose to move to Oklahoma:
      Since you're under 18, if you leave home without your parents'/guardians' permission they could choose to file a runaway report with the police which means they will find you and bring you home. Although you wouldn't get in any trouble with the law, you will have to face whatever punishments your parents or guardians may have. Anyone over 18 you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a criminal charge. None of this is to scare you at all, it's just to let you know the risks involved with your plan.

      HOWEVER, since you're 17 which is so close to 18 the police in your area may not choose (or in some states, be able) to pursue a runaway case. To learn more about how police in your area might handle a runaway case from a 17 year old, you might consider calling your local non-emergency police line and ask how they might handle your case without giving away identifying details.

      We would love to hear more about your story and give you more personalized guidance. The NRS is here 24/7 via online chat or by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We hope to hear from you soon!
      Good luck!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp