Running away, but wants to finish high school

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

So im going to be turning 14 in April and I plan on running away in a few months time. I was wondering about a few things, and I am hoping you can answer them?

1. I was thinking of doing odd jobs, but what are ways I can make money?

2. If I were to try to finish my schooling, would the school I was trying to enroll in turn me in?

3. Is it possible for me to somehow get myself emancipated without my parents being involved?
    '
    4. what sort of cheap transportation can I use to get out of the state I am in?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-15-2019, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Reply: So im going to be turning 14 in April

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are thinking about running away and would like to discuss some options on taking care of yourself. You did good by reaching out to NRS.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. To assist with exploring options, we can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I am about to leave home. i am 14 and abused. Can i live at a friends house? Go to high school? College? How do i register for school?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Sounds like there's some stuff happening at home and you are trying to get away from.

1) You have a right to go to school no matter where you are. It's an Act called the Mckinney-Vento Act which entitles you to an education no matter what your status (homeless, runaway, etc). What you'd need to do is talk to the Homeless Education Liasion when you get there and find out what proper steps you need to take. You can also reach out to the National Center for Homeless Educational Helpline and they can be reached at 1-800-308-2145.

2) A runaway shelter will probably house you for 24-72 hours regardless of your situation but again, because you are minors, after that, they may have authorities or your family contacted. Some shelters do have 'transitional housing' that sometimes allow people to live there but those are few and far between. That would be a great topic to discuss with a social worker at the shelter to see if she can connect you with any available options and if your situation would qualify.

Hopefully some of that stuff helps but it sounds like your situation is much more complicated than that. If you'd like to explore this some more, you can call our crisis hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We can see what else might be available to you.

Best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.
          NRS

Hello, I am currently 13 and plan on running away after high school, around a week after graduating. At that time (May, 2023) I’ll still be 17 until my birthday in August. Will I have to hide until then? Will I not be able to use social media or even have a phone because they can track it down? What kind of papers will I have to bring (birth certificate, social security, etc.)? I’m not planning to go back after running away. There has always been family problems, even before I was born, and I’m constantly ignored and judged for. I have tried so many times to change them but I’ve realized they never will, so I plan on finishing my basic education first and then leaving. I plan moving somewhere in NorCal (I plan on going on train + car maybe a friend). I don’t know where I can stay or what I can do as a job. I’m just concerned about those two months in between my graduation and my birthday. I need to hide?

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor (generally anyone considered under 1. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents.

It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. This can all influence your decision to leave.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
          NRS

Help.

My mother, whom has taken everything away from me refuses to listen. She took my phone, my car, won't let me be alone, and said I could never see my boyfriend again or else she'd call the police on him because he's 19, turning 20 and I am 16. I was crying myself to sleep as usual, but I couldn't keep it quiet last night and she came in my room screaming bloody murder. My entire family is under the impression I am crazy, disobedient, and a disappointment. Regardless of my perfect grades and steady jobs.They can't even make eye contact with me and have medicated me heavily and put me in theory and making me see a phycologist. Trying to send me to an all girls school far away and almost sent me to the nut house. I am her only daughter and somehow have turned into a piece a ******** who she can not stand to be around. I want to continue my education, and keep my jobs, but I know they will look there and I can not risk that. I have been saving money, and I plan on living with my boyfriend. moving in with a roommate to reduce cost to us and so that our name won't be in the lease. Once I turn 18, I plan on reassuring , my small ungrateful family that I am alive and made a life for myself. Legally, can they take me back if I'm caught before 18? Also, if they can take me back, how can I get my eduction without worrying about them taking me back.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, thank you for reaching out to us at NRS.
          It sounds like, despite the fact you have been working hard to get good grades and work a steady job, your mom has been implementing rules and restrictions that have been making it pretty hard to live there. Unfortunately, as a minor, if your parents do not consent to you living anywhere else and they file a runaway report or get the police involved, the police have an obligation to search to bring you back home.
          There are a few exceptions to this. The first is if there was abuse happening at home and the police had reason to believe you were unsafe to return. If you do feel like you are being abused at home and would like to report it, you can call the National Child Abuse Hotline (800) 422-4453. Another option is to pursue emancipation, which is a (lengthy) legal process where you essentially demonstrate to the courts that you are able to support yourself and live on your own. If you are interested in learning more about the emancipation laws in your state and options for local agencies to contact, you can always call us at (800) 786-2929 and we can discuss your situation further and connect you to local agencies who might be able to help.
          Our hotline is 24/7 and completely confidential if you ever want to give us a call. You don’t have to go through this alone: (800) RUNAWAY.
          Best of

Hi,
        I am 15 years old and my mother was arrested for abusing me but after she was released she wanted to get back at me so she signed over her right for me to my biological father who lives in California I want to go home to New York my grandma said she will take me in since I lived with her most of my life. What I’m asking is if I runaway to live with her how can I get into my old school?
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-29-2019, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Reply: Hi I am 15 years old

Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you have been through quite an experience none of which was your fault. You deserve to be safe and happy. In regards to the school situation you might consider contacting the school to which you want to attend about enrollment information.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I've been arguing with my family and I've had enough of it. I am 17 and I want to leave from Nevada to Oklahoma is it possible for me to transfer schools after running away

Comment

• ccsmod0
              ccsmod0 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there,

If you leave home before the age of 18, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. If they know where you are located, they could send the police to pick you up and bring you home. Some police stations are a little more lax when you are 17, but it may be helpful for you to call your local nonemergency police phone number. In order to transfer schools and enroll in a new school, you will most likely need your guardians' consent. This is a question better answered by the schools themselves, as we are not legal experts. You can always contact us through our phone number or chat to discuss your situation in more detail.

Best of luck,
              NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

15 year old

I am fifteen years old and it is my plan to run away when I turn 16. I read over some different responses to questions posted on this site, but I still wanted to ask some questions.

I want to complete high school and go to college afterwards. I realize I will always be entitled an education, but I don't necessarily know how to contact a high school anywhere without there being an alert and giving myself up. Could I enter a high school by myself with no identification? I also need a job to pay for college when the time comes. Living conditions is another big issue. I plan on leaving with simply a bike to avoid being tracked (maybe a car until i get a good distance away) so is it possible to stay in places each night as I get further and further? Thank you for helping me out.

Comment

• ccsmod3
              ccsmod3 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. You have a right to go to school no matter where you are. It's an Act called the Mckinney-Vento Act which entitles you to an education no matter what your status (homeless, runaway, etc). What you'd need to do is talk to the Homeless Education Liasion when you get there and find out what proper steps you need to take. You can also reach out to the National Center for Homeless Educational Helpline and they can be reached at 1-800-308-2145.

A runaway shelter will probably house you for 24-72 hours regardless of your situation but again, because you are minors, after that, they may have authorities or your family contacted. Some shelters do have 'transitional housing' that sometimes allow people to live there but those are few and far between. That would be a great topic to discuss with a social worker at the shelter to see if she can connect you with any available options and if your situation would qualify.

Hopefully some of that stuff helps but it sounds like your situation is much more complicated than that. If you'd like to explore this some more, you can call our crisis hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We can see what else might be available to you.

Best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.
              NRS

hello! my friend and i are 14 and are thinking about running away. we both dont like our living situations and we cant think of a better option. we have somewhere to stay and money that we saved up. if the police find out where we are would we have to go back to our house? we were thinking about getting emancipated too but we dont want to face our parents in court or have to live with them if it doesnt work out.

Comment

• ccsmod1
              ccsmod1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. You mentioned that you were thinking about emancipation as a means to leave home. Emancipation laws vary from state to state so it may be a good idea to work with a local legal aid group for more information about emancipation in your state.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. Living on your own can also bring about many safety risks. You will need to consider ways that you can protect yourself from physical harm as well as the possibility of sexual and labor exploitation. This can all influence your decision to leave.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
              NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X