Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. You mentioned that you had vandalized the school, and are now at risk of being expelled. And with that, you are considering running away. It seems like you have a lot of questions about how that would work and what might happen. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts so we can't really confirm your plan. At 15 years old, it is unlikely that you would be able to rent an apartment or get a job. Often times, you have to be 18 in order to sign a lease, and you need your parents permission to get a job as a minor. So you may want to consider that your initial plans may not work out how you think they should. Maybe think about an alternative plan for how to deal with this situation instead of running away. If you have questions about school enrollment, you could talk to a school counselor or administrator of some sort about how that process would work.

Good luck,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Can I apply for a fast food job without the police showing up? And what will happen when I try to enroll in school? I'm 17 and I've already left my abusive situation and living with my friends.

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,
        Thanks for reaching out to NRS! We appreciate you explaining some of your situation, you’re being very brave!
        It’s good that you are no longer having to deal with an abusive situation at home. No one deserves to be abused in any way. You asked about applying for jobs and enrolling in school, without police involvement. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts. Police involvement will probably depend on if your parents made a runaway report with them. NRS does offer to call out to police, either with the youth or on behalf of them, and ask them questions that youth has. If you call into our safeline, we would be more than willing to assist you with that.
        Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners. NRS is a non-directive organization, so we aren’t here to give out advice, because you know your situation a lot better than we do.
        Be safe, NRS

My sister in law ran away from her foster mom which is her legal guardian she has been gone now going on 2 years my mother in law knows where she(my mother in law) is n is in contact with bio logical parents n grandma they all see my sister in law but nobody is willing to help her go to school Cuz then if she gives her to her grandpa then she looses the money she gets then she can't pay her house rent or bills how can my sister in law go to school n be successful plz help me

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, thank you for reaching out to us at NRS. You seem to be concerned about your sister-in-law’s well-being, and she is very lucky to someone looking out for her. There is a resource that might be helpful in helping your sister-in-law receive assistance with completing her education: https://nche.ed.gov/states/state_resources.php. According to the state, you can find the coordinator who might be able to help get her into school. There might be other options available, depending on her situation; she is always welcome to reach out to us at (800) 786-2929. We are available 24/7 and completely confidential.
        Hope this helps!
        NRS

I am planning on running away but I'm scared that parents could come to my school and find me. Can I keep going to school? Am I safe at school or will the school report me to the authorities?

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thanks so much for reaching out in what appears to be a difficult time for you. We hope to be able to help.

We are not legal experts and do not know how runaway laws are specifically written where you are located. However, we can provide you with some general information. Running away is not a criminal offense, but rather, it is a status offense, much like breaking curfew. The consequences for committing a status offense are often less severe than they are for criminal offenses. If a youth runs away, their guardian(s) can file a runaway report on that youth. If the police come into contact with that runaway youth whose parents have filed the runaway report, then the police will likely just bring that youth home to their parents. If you ran away and went to school and a school official was made aware that you were a runaway, they could call the police and report that. However, we cannot predict what the officials at your school may or may not do. These are all things you may want to consider if you run away.

However, even as a runaway, you are able to go to school under the McKinney-Vento Act. Qualified youth are guaranteed the right to remain in their school of origin if feasible, to receive free meals, and to receive transportation to and from their school of origin. If you would like more information about this act, or if you would like a referral to your state’s representative for this act, please call us anytime and we would be glad to help you out with that.

Hopefully this helped. We thank you again for reaching out to us, and we wish you the best of luck.

Hi I'm 17 years old I've been on probation for 4 months now and I can't take it anymore. I think I'm going to run away but I also really want to graduate high school... is there any way I could still get my GED while I was on the run ?

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much for writing us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to listen and here to help. It sounds like you’ve been frustrated with your situation. Perhaps because you have been on probation, or perhaps because of some other reason you did not disclose.

As you may know, running away is a status offense. Your parents could file a runaway report, alerting authorities nationwide that you are a youth on the run. Additionally, for you, you are on probation, so leaving could interfere and violate the terms of your probation, perhaps leading to a warrant for your arrest or any other serious consequences. Have you considered consequences that could come from leaving, as someone on probation?

The good news is that runaway and homeless youth are allowed to go to school and continue their education, even if they are on the run. This is through the McKinney Vento Act. For more information about the McKinney Vento Act click here: https://www2.ed.gov/policy/elsec/leg...heet072716.pdf.
        We thank you for reaching out! We also wish you the best. You have a lot to think about in terms of the risks and consequences to leaving. We invite you to give us a call or chat with us more about your situation.

Best,

NRS

I want to run away and I'm ********ed up kill me

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello Sarah, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are at the end of your rope and are thinking about running away from home. We want you to know that you are not alone and we care about you.
        Sometimes feelings can become overwhelming and hard to deal with. We want you to know that there is support for you. The National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-8255 is a hotline that you can call at any time to talk to someone who can help you get through. We hope that this information helps. If you want to give us a call to talk more about what is going on you are more than welcome to. 1-800-786-2929
        Best wishes,
        NRS

Hello,

I have been trying to find answers for my questions in the previous posts, but I figured it was better to simply ask.

Let's say there is a 16 year old teen, from Texas, that wishes to run away. The teen is thinking of going to another country. To a completely safe environment with people that will be able to provide for her. However, they still want her to continue her education. In this case, what can you do? Would she still be able to finish her high school online? If so, are there any abroad programs that would allow this?
      if she does go through with this, would her parents be notified? Could she still be tracked down?

Thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out, this sounds like a tricky situation. It is commendable that this teen would want to continue her education. Because we at NRS are based in the U.S., it is hard for us to say how education and runaway laws work in other countries. Depending on where the teen is traveling to, she may be able to call Childline at 0800 1111. They are a hotline based in the U.K that is similar to us. If she is not in the U.K. to call, she may be able to find information on their website, www.childline.org.uk.
        You mention wondering if her parents would be notified and if she could be tracked down. If her parents filed a runaway report, and she was picked up by the police, the police would return her back home with her parents. However, we are not legal experts, so are not sure how this would work across country lines. It is possible that traveling out of the country may be difficult with a runaway report filed, especially as a minor. Minors may be required to have notarized consent from their parents to travel out of country. She can find more specific information by contacting the embassy of the country she wishes to travel to.

If she is able to travel as a minor, she may want to think about where she would be staying. You mention she would be staying in a safe environment with people that will be able to provide for her. How well does she know these people that she can say they are safe? How long would she be able to stay there? Does she have a plan for afterwards? These are things she may want to plan out before.

Thank you again for contacting us, we hope this information is helpful and wish you the best of luck.

Hi in 15 and live in California. I struggled with depression throughout 8th grade and I went to therapy to get better. I’m no longer depressed now but I have bad anger problems. My mom is constantly on my case about everything. She accuses me of so many different things I just can’t take it anymore. My dad used to be the one I went to go and talk to but he and my mom have started talking again and he listens to everything she says. I feel like they don’t even see me anymore. I ran away once for about a day. And stayed at a friend’s house but my mom called the cops and they found me. I reached the point to where I need to leave again but permanently. I still would like to attend my high school though and graduate. Is that possible? And how would I get a job too? Also are there any shelters in long beach CA?
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 12-14-2017, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Reply: Hi in 15 and live in California

Hello,
        Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We are sorry to hear about your situation, it takes a lot of courage to reach out.
        We understand that it must be frustrating to not have anyone that you feel has your interest at heart. You are not invisible. NRS is here to offer our support during this difficult time.
        We would be glad to speak with you about your situation and explore some of the options you mentioned.
        If you would like to talk more with us about your situation please contact NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org

We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
        NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm 18 years old and I want to run away. I know my boyfriend would come get me but my problem is that I still want to finish high school and I'm cyber schooled. My mom says that if I run away she will call the school and tell them to take me out so I now longer will be in the school. Since I'm 18 I would like to know if she can take me out of the school, can the school really take me out since I didn't do anything to get kicked out of the school. If she can take me out of the school would I be able to put myself into a school to finish my education. I won't have my social security number or birth certificate so can I still enroll myself into a school to finish my senior year. I really need help.

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there, it looks like you posted another forum that we already responded to. See that response below:
            Hello and thanks for posting to our forum. It sounds like you are ready to move out on your own but are concerned about how that may affect your schooling. We are really glad you reached out for help!
            So we are not legal experts but in most states, 18 is the legal age of adulthood, meaning at 18 in most states a person is free to move to wherever they choose. However, schooling may be a bit different. Even if you are living on your own and are legally an adult, school may require parent’s signature on some paperwork. You may consider calling your school and seeing how they handle adult students and whether or not you need your mom to enroll you or if she can un-enroll you if she chooses to do so.
            We realize this might be a tough thing to deal with. It seems like you have really thought ahead and it was smart of you to look for some help before leaving. We do offer conference calling with parents so if you think having a conversation with your mom with a third, neutral party may be helpful, feel free to call us anytime: 1-800-786-2929. We are open 24/7 to talk more about your situation and potential options you may not have already thought of. There are things in place to ensure homeless youth can finish high school. If you would like more information on this, call us or live chat with us 4:30-11:30pm CT daily.
            Best of luck in moving out and finishing your senior year! You sound really motivated to get this done for yourself!

Hello. I'm 13 years old turning 14 in March and I've been planning on running away for a while. I was abused physically for the past 3 years and still verbally now. My grades are fine but I can tell going through that has changed me so I need to get away from it. I have a friend that's my age that already ran away that's going to help me but we have a few holes in our plan.

1. I'm a freshman in high school and I want to continue schooling. However, I skipped a grade so I should be in the 8th going to 9th. How can I stay in the grade I'm in now but not give my transcript so my parents know where I am?

2. We're planning on heading from VA to California but were going by plane and I have no idea where my mom keeps my passport. If I did use my own would she be able to track me or would I have to get a new one?

3. Is there anything else I should know or do to help me with this. I'm planning on leaving in 3 weeks.

Comment

• ccsmod0
            ccsmod0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been dealing with a lot of abuse at home from your parents and you feel as if your only option is to run away. It is great that you are looking into all of your options and trying to figure out the best possible plan. We want you to know that you do not deserve abuse from anyone and you do have the right to make a report with Child Protective Services. Child Help USA is an information and referral line that can connect you with your local CPS abuse hotline. That number is 1-800-422-4453. If you ever felt like making a report or needed help, we are here to assist with that. We understand that making an abuse report can be intimidating so if you like we can call together to provide support.
            It sounds like your education is important to you and you would like stay on the path that you are. Changing schools while on the runaway status can be a difficult feet but thankfully there have be a lot of changes recently to homeless/runaway education laws. To find out more about these changes you can try reaching out to someone at the local department of education. When you get a hold of someone ask the about the McKinney-Vento Act. They should be able to tell you more about enrolling to school independent of your parents.
            You also questioned if you would need your passport to travel from Virginia to California. Since both of these are states within America and you are not flying to a different country, no you would not need your passport. For domestic travel, generally all the airport would require is a state issued ID but since you are a minor typically they would need a guardian to fill out a form at the airport, giving permission.
            We want to help you as best we can and it sounds like you still have some big questions you need answered. You are more than welcome to give us a call and we can talk to your more about your situation. Additionally, if you ever need a safe place to go, we also can provide you with various resources for agencies in whatever area they are in to best help them during this difficult time. You can always call us to talk about what you are going through and receive some support. We provide free, confidential, and nonjudgmental services. Everyone deserves to be respected and loved. 1-800-786-2929
            Best wishes,
            NRS

I wanna start over

hi, im 17 turning 18 in a few months, im just tired of how my parents treat me, its like they dont even care how I feel, my step dad is cool and all but my mom would always give me a hard time. This one time my soccer coach didnt put me in at a practice scrimmage and when i went home upset, my mom just yelled and kicked my door and yelled at me for not saying hi, and i tried to tell herwhat happened and she just told me not to talk back. Im from california and i drive, i have an aunt in south carolina and i plan to runaway there but i dont have a car. I still wanna finish high school but idk if the school would count my aunt as a legal guardian.

Comment

• ccsmod6
            ccsmod6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi! These are all very understandable concerns, and we are glad you reached out to us for help. We are sorry to hear your mom is giving you a hard time; it makes sense that you are considering leaving. When you are 18, you will legally be able to live where you want without a legal parent’s or guardian’s permission. If you decide to go stay with your aunt, and she is able to have you, you may want to have a conversation with her to see what arrangements can be made, such as enrolling in school. If she does not have custody over you (custody meaning she is the one responsible for you as a minor), then she will not be considered your legal guardian. If you need help formulating a plan to deal with your situation, or need to talk about anything at all, please keep our number, 1-800-786-2929, in mind. We are available 24/7 and would be more than willing to listen! Best of luck to you moving forward!

My friend and I need to apply to school in San Diego but I dont how to or which one to enroll in. And we need jobs but we don't know what we need.

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

From your post, we’re a bit confused about your situation and how old you and your friend are. If you’re a minor (under 1 and considering running 18, this information will pertain to you. There is an act called The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act and this is a law for homeless youth to continue their education even if they are homeless. It provides transportation to and from school, free lunch, and you can immediately enroll in a new school and not requiring the needed documents, etc. If you have more questions on this act you can give their hotline a call. The number is 1(800)-308-2145.

We’re here to talk more about you and your friend’s situation, so we can get a better idea of what options could fit the situation. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center.

Be safe, NRS

I am currently 17, soon to be 18, and wish to finish out my junior and senior year at my current high school. I am eligible to graduate early, but I wish to have a chance at receiving the scholarships that come with continuing my education. I have a job, but at the cost it would take to buy a car I would be unable to pay for car insurance while renting out an apartment. My question is; are there any programs in Illinois(Wonder Lake) that would allow me to have free housing while I continue my education? I can wait to move until I am 18 to avoid being taken in to custody and returned to my parental; however he sooner the better.

Comment

• ccsmod9
            ccsmod9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to help. It sounds like your in a tough situation- you want to finish your high school education and live on your own, but you can’t afford the costs of doing this. While there may be programs near by Wonder Lake that offer shelter or other free housing programs, it is very likely that they have policies in place that either require parental consent or notification before they house an unaccompanied minor. If you are looking for specific resources in your town, have any questions, or would just like to chat, we encourage you to call us at 1800-Runaway (786-2929) or send us a chat on our website, www.1800runaway.org. We are happy to help you in any way we can. Again, thanks for taking the time to contact us- it takes a lot of courage.

Best,
            The National Runaway Safeline

Hi, i am 17 turning 18 in 6 months... I was in a foster home, I'm on probation as well... My foster mom called my probation officer several times to get me in trouble, she would call saying i ran away when I would be walking home from school (i missed the ride that usually picks me up) the walk is 40 minutes .. The day before i left her daughter wanted to fight me so she punched me and pushed me i never touched her and they called the cops saying i was trying to fight her. Basically i was dealing with alot at my foster home . I want to finish high school and get my diploma. How can I do that without getting caught?

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            It sounds like you are going through a difficult situation, so we are glad you are reaching out to us because we are here to help! While we aren’t legal experts, contacting us is a good first step in figuring out your options.

You mentioned that you are in the foster system. Do you have a case worker assigned to you that you could talk to? The actions you mentioned from your foster mom and her daughter may be considered abuse. If that is the case, those behaviors might be something to bring up to a case worker who can talk through your options. We want you to know that no one deserves to be punched or pushed by anyone, so contacting your case worker or filing a report with child protective services may be an option. If you have questions about what happens when reporting, you can call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or contact Child Help (the national child abuse hotline) at 1-800-799-7233.

You also mentioned that you want to finish high school while being away from your foster home without getting caught. Because we don’t know your legal past in detail, we can’t speak to everything that could happen, but we can let you know a few general details. To our knowledge, running away isn’t illegal, but can be considered a status offense because you are under 18. This may be escalated to a crime if someone has a legal past or if someone is considered a chronic runaway (meaning they had multiple runaway reports filed). Runaway reporting can be avoided if you are over 18 or if you are given parental permission (by either your foster mom or a case worker). Do you think there could be a way to get your foster mom’s permission?

If you do not feel comfortable talking to your foster mom alone, sometimes having someone speak to a guardian on your behalf may help the situation. Would you be interested in involving a counselor or trusted adult (such as a teacher) involved to help speak on your behalf?

We want you to know that we are here to help, but we are also here to listen. If you wanted to talk through any of the options we mentioned above or work with you to brainstorm other ideas, our hotline (1800-786-2929) is confidential and 24/7.
            Best of luck!
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X